RE: Soloing (jazz piano)

RE: Soloing (jazz piano)

Anyone has any advice, tips, tricks or any other form of help to offer regarding soloing during a jazz piece?

I just started learning jazz about 2 months ago and I find that is the soloing part that really kills me and uses up all my brain cells. I do know roughly here and there what notes can be used during the solo (either chordal or from the scale) but the problem is that it always sounds funny like im starting on the wrong foot or something..

another problem is putting the L.H together. I just can't seem to coordinate or find out which beat to play L.H on. I know it's mostly based on 'feel' and the swing rhythm but does anyone has an easier way of putting it together?

i hope i addressed my problem clearly.. looking forward to replies!! :D thanks

It takes a while. If you only started 2 months ago, take your time. I guess you would have some piano background already, right? If so, at least techniques shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here's an interesting blog: http://pianologist.com/

Quite a bit of transcribed stuff for analysis, esp on Forward Motion. Interesting read.

I must admit that many times I find heavy jazz extremely difficult to interpret and to make sense. If you go on the website and check out the Chick Corea piece analysis, it's really unusual theoretically.

Scales is a good way to start.

U have to learn the swing feel rythmn first and the walking bassline separately. It usually falls on the anticipated beat which is probably hard to explain here in words. Its easier to talk and have someone to demonstrate to u. Listening to the music of jazz swing masters would help u to have a better understanding of how u can use yr LH on the right beat.

Hi, i'm also learning jazz piano at the moment.

I have a lot of problems with my left hand but after getting some proper training i realize you can actually learn it, and not just feel it.

I guess you already know about the triplet thing. The LH rhythmic pattern can be notated in standard notation.

This is what i learnt. Play the 1, 3, and flat7 of the chord with this rhythm, staccato style.

Below is 1 bar of 4/4 broken up into triplets. Take these triplets as even. So you get 4 x 3 = 12 triplets per bar. You hit on the 1st and 6th.
100 001 000 000

Try this! i hope it helps.

Hey

oh sounds good. Well in any case, it will take a while to get that swing feel into your brain. The standard notation is there to help u. I must say it's pretty much useful for beginners like u and me in the beginning. But like what many jazz musicians have said, u really have to hear lots of jazz music (swing kind) to help your body and mind naturally have the swing feel. Last but not least, practice regularly!

Back