Rant: Ethics of Guitar Stores in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

fretless6

Topic is abit misleading... should be ethics of "a guitar store" in Singapore...

Well here's how my story goes...

A particular well received guitar store was having one of those 50% off sales. So I went down, bought a nice compressor pedal from them.

Without mentioning anything, they put the display unit into my shopping bag *Strike 1*

Ok fine, maybe it's the last unit, but telling your customer first would be a good idea.

Went back, noticed the bottom of the pedal is velcro-ed, and didn't come with a box. Tell tale signs that this is a used pedal... *Strike 2*

For a used pedal at 50%, it was barely cheaper than a brand new one from Peninsula... So they were selling a used pedal for almost double the price of a new one! *Strike 3*

Ok this is where it started to get ridiculous

A little over 3 months after I bought it, the pedal just went dead. So I called them up, told em that it died, and they asked me to bring it down to the store. So fine I went down.

After lookin at my receipt which states that the item was bought JUST over 3 months, they conveniently said "Oh sales items only have 3 month warranty".

NO WHERE in the store, on the receipt, or on their threads of advertisements on this forum did it mention that sales items only had 3 months warranty. Trying to pull a fast one on your customer over warranty issues *Strike 4*

This store had posted on this forum that they provide repair services to amps/effects, etc. And claiming that their selling point was that their repairs takes days not weeks. Guess what.. They told me it would take MONTHS to fix my pedal, without even evaluating what's wrong with it yet. *Strike 5*

Very well done... When I get my unit back, and if they expect me to pay for the repairs... Out comes their name on this board.

A store that sells 2nd hand items at almost double prices of a new unit without disclosing the item you're buying is actually used, which tries to shrug off product warranty and delaying repairs as long as possible doesn't deserve the good reputation they have on this board. :evil:

Strike 1: Sales items, usually display pieces are given. You could have enquired before making the payment.

Strike 2: It is a display unit, didn't u hold it and just have a look see?

Strike 3: Price issue. It's up to them. They can always say "expensive? dont buy then".

Strike 4: Oh well, I've always make it a habit to ask the salesperson the warranty duration, and what it covers. Kiasuism has its pros.

Strike 5: Did you ask them why?

one word
PWNED

If this incident happened to you i'm sure you would be pissed if you received such a reply.

Lol, anyway, yea why didn't you check the item? it's not like once he puts it into the shopping bag the deal is done...

I did see them put the display unit into the bag. I didn't mind getting a display piece, but basic manners to inform the customer u're giving him the display unit, esp when there's no box/manual.

Only after I got home, did I notice the pedal was used. Even then, I didn't mind that much, as long as the pedal was in good condition and worked fine. Same with the pricing, that's why I didn't go back to the shop to make a big fuss out of it after I found the same item at Peninsula for half their listed price.

Trying to pull a fast one on the warranty and delaying the repair work on top of all these was what pushed me off the edge.

Btw, they said the repair would take months cos their repair guy was busy. Busy for months I'm sure, unless of cos half the goods they sell come back faulty.

Also, I really think that whether or not I checked the goods during payment is besides the point. Only difference if I did was that I would have discovered their tricks at the store and not after I'd left.

Last edited:
Before this becomes a Swee Lee slug fest, I'll just say it's not Swee Lee. I did mention "well received guitar store", so Swee Lee doesn't qualify in my books lol.

heh, was wondering was it that store already since theres mentioning of "used" pedal.

And almost all of the big name stores doesnt sell used pedal. Aint it obvious now..

oh well, hope things get resolved somehow.

the thing they did wrong, is to do it to someone who aint a newbie in geetar and effect ...

bring it further i say, fretless6 bro.

Last edited:
Don't even go there man. You don't know who it is so we shouldn't assume.

They are the only store that I can think off that is not in Peninsula, take in 2nd hand goods and resells them, and are relatively known. Co-incidentally, they had a sale about 3 months back

Last edited:
I think issue should be settled with the shop before any rash decisions on this.

Technically speaking they're not breaking any laws, would seem like a case of not doing research and chionging into a sale... No offense to the threat starter, but you literally have no grounds on putting up a case. Can only blame on oversight. They didn't say sale of brand new items at 50% or anything did they? (Still dunno the shop, or the sale, so yeah... haha... alot of assumptions here...)

If they do give you that service, then it is out of good-will, and deserves praise. Other than that, display sets, used pieces, they're all subjected to failing sooner than brand new (more often la, not always...), but its a risk you took when you got it.

End game, I feel a customer-to-shop relation should be addressed in a even mannered way, not ending up here just cos of rage.

To TS: don't take it too seriously... this kind of things always happen... I was worse than you... I brought my guitar to a shop in BBC that is also similar to yours for changing of pickups.. and i suppose that they dropped my guitar or something.. the headstock, the body got some really big dings and some of the bindings chipped off... and when i went to collect my guitar, they didn't even tell me. When i reached home, it was too late already. Is this worse than yours? Can only blame on our luck...

To TS: don't take it too seriously... this kind of things always happen... I was worse than you... I brought my guitar to a shop in BBC that is also similar to yours for changing of pickups.. and i suppose that they dropped my guitar or something.. the headstock, the body got some really big dings and some of the bindings chipped off... and when i went to collect my guitar, they didn't even tell me. When i reached home, it was too late already. Is this worse than yours? Can only blame on our luck...

what shop?

Ouch!Which shop is that?Gotta have a look out on that one.

buying and selling is either hit or miss. you earn some or you lose some. by the end of the day the result is how you did your homework.

can i rant too? a shop in penin/excelsior basement.

entered asking to test a pedal, i found out the pedal uses a dedicated power supplier, i said "shit, abit troublesome", guy said "woah not interested ah?" continued on saying, "if u want tone, u cannot be lazy blabla. u know in other countries ppl carry stacks up the stairs blabla" forgot some things he said but somewhere along the lines there was a personal attack there.

then i wanted to ask for a pick, he said "hey man are u a guitar player or what? no pick? *laughs*". hey...what i bring along with me is not his business..

my friend expressed his amusement on the amp i tested the pedal on, says that its much better than his amp. guy asked what amp my friend uses and says "shitty amp. ones u get this amp, u can throw that amp away, man".

and thing is i wanted to test the pedal, but it ended up as a show off session by the guy.

pity...good products, but that kinda treatment makes me wanna find other alternatives to get the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back