Questions on Roland cube street EX inputs

jacky817

Hi guys,

Not sure if this should be in the Gear- Sound forum instead.

My question is whether I can have 3 mics and 1 acoustic guitar running thru the Street EX busking amp. My band has two lead vocals and one guitar for most songs. But sometimes we need a third mic for either violin or backup vocals. Sound wise, we could possibly be a bit more lax on the third mic, which is why I was thinking of having a xlr->1/4" adaptor for the third mic and plug it in "somewhere else". Some of the options I can think of:

1. The first two mics goes to the 2 xlr inputs. The guitar and the last mic goes to the 1/4" L/R stereo. Can i just plug in guitar as L and the last mic as R?
2. Plug the guitar thru the 1/4" AUX input at the back, while the third mic goes thru the front 1/4" input. Can this work?
3. Have the mic go thru the front 1/4" input, and the guitar with a 1/4"->3.5mm adaptor, go thru the "Audio In"

Will any of the above work? It seems that my next best option is the Roland BA-330, but it has much lower power (and more expensive). I'd prefer the volume at 50W.

Options 2 and 3 are not optimal because the guitar is designed to see a high-impedance output. However the Audio In & AUX jacks are likely low-impedance, you can probably check the manual.

Option 1 is OK, only if you have a rather "hot" microphone (High signal output) with adjustable volume. Otherwise you'd have trouble setting the balance between guitar and violin.

My best bet would be to use a preamp to mix the two vocalists and run that into the mic/instrument input. Put the guitar on the guitar input to maximise use of the effects if needed. Then the violin would go on the line in when required.

Back