Questions on IPAD2

alvinkubi

Hi all,

am planning to get an ipad 2 soon, just wanna clarify some queries!

1.) Can it fully replace a laptop?
2.) If i have a midi kb, where can i get a usb connection for the midi and does it need to be powered?
3.) Can i do small video editing / compilation on it?
4.) Can do i graphic posters design on it?
5.) Can i totally scrape my iphone and use a BB after a i get an ipad?

Haha sorry to bombard everyone!!

1) Honestly depends on what you use a laptop for? To me, never; to my mother, an iPad is probably better than a laptop.

2) Here is a very good starter article on iPad and MIDI http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/...sically-connected-productive-video-resources/

3) iMovie is only a few bucks and more than enough for simple editing http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/imovie.html

4) Don't expect Photoshop, but there are quite a lot of image editing / drawing apps. I wouldn't consider it a serious replacement.

5) You could do that, or you could stick to an iPhone to get the most out of syncing with compatible apps and even using your iPhone with the same MIDI interface.

Last edited:
the processing power of the current gen ipad is still much weaker compare to a laptop running a basic i3 processor. At most it is a good company or at most compliment a laptop in music production, but not replacing it entirely.

To use a physical hardware midi controller via usb to connect to the ipad2, the most basic connector will be the camera connection kit(other than those mentioned in the createdigitalmusic website). Iam using a 3rd party one bought from mustafa center, it works with my akai lpk25. The thing to take note is that not every midi controller will work with the ipad2 via the connection kit as there might not be enough power through the ipad to power up the midi controller. There is a list of hardware midi controller which will work with the ipad thru the camera connection kit complied by someone over at synthopia website iirc, just google for hardware midi controller and ipad to confirmed.

If the ipad does not have enough power to power up the external midi controller, most prolly will need to use external supply on the midi controller itself to power up and the connection on the ipad just for the midi communication

For visual stuff, just need to check out itune apps store for the appropriate apps and see if there any reviews on it.

Hehe, a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet, while some of the functions overlap, end of the day, depending on the user needs, whether can one replace the other, other then using it yourself and coming to that conclusion, nobody can say for sure.

If your work doesn't require Hi-Res or huge RAM and power hungry efx processing, than I guess you could give it a go. It wouldn't hurt to find out in the end that it can't replace your desktop/laptop because someone at home would want the machine.:mad:

Well, gives you the option to control everything from your bed :)

I use my IPad and iPhone to gig these days especially now that you can have wireless MIDI communication across networked devices. Also using the same gigging setup to control my studio gear and DAW. They are great for getting ideas down quickly and for impromptu improvisations but to replace a computer based recording system... Controlling the system yes. replacing imho not yet. Although the iDevices boast multi-tasking, it's not all that true for all music apps.

Last edited:
For me, iPad do simple thing.
Touch surface for DAW.
If my computer doing a lot of heavy process, I switch to iPad for web stuff.

Back