Protool 9 without hardware!

kongwee

Yup, no m-audio or digidesign needed.
This is so silent.

96 mono or stereo.
32 simultaneous audio recording.
Midi,Aux track and busses more than enough for me.

But I won't buy it ..................yet.

A lot of home studio user will be very happy.

Yea - a BIG move that will finally make PT more acceptable within the home-studio space. Looks like they finally realized -- the only way to survive or expand (into, say, the home-studio market -- which on many levels is now forcing many not-so-BIG "professional" studios to close shop), is to really listen to and deliver on what people wanted.

Can finally plug in those Firepods and everything else into PT! Woo Hoo! I hear it's retailing at $599 in the US, but of course, upgrades from LE and 8 are cheaper.

No doubt this will draw some home-users. But I wonder how many. Mac users will still stick with Logic. Sonar users will still use Sonar (esp since there's a large price margin). $599 USD is not a price for home-users. For those who are upgrading, they would already be using dedicated Digidesign hardware, so the move to allow Core Audio or ASIO won't affect them. It will only affect those who are switching DAWs or new to DAW. So, if they REALLY want to target home-users (a huge market), they have to come up with a more competitive price. And they really have to get rid of the dongle issue. That will open them up to the mobile market (notebooks with limited USB ports).

By the way, Sonar X1 is due next month. Flagship Sonar Producer is $399 USD. Basic version (Essentials) is $99 USD.
Revamped GUI - definitely better workflow. THAT is targeting home-users!

Since it's their first time porting to Core Audio and ASIO, it will be interesting to see how fluid the port is. Potential bugs? Still, interesting to keep watch...

Last edited:
Sigh... I'm kinda stuck with PT LE8 and Digidesign hardware. =(
Really wished I had waited just a few months more for PT9. Also, Digidesign hardware is not that fantastic afterall.
RaWRRRRRRR!

Many people still swore by Protools especially Mac user. It is great for people hugely deal with live recording. If make a move to throw in their soft synth(60gigbyte sample) with US$100 more. I think many people will take the bite(which I think can kill Logic). Actually they should not come out their own driver, as they really can't keep up the OS updates. Leave that to Apple, Steinberg and Microsoft is a better choice. iLok thing I have no comment cos I'm using one for EWQL.

By the way, Sonar X1 is due next month. Flagship Sonar Producer is $399 USD. Basic version (Essentials) is $99 USD.
Revamped GUI - definitely better workflow. THAT is targeting home-users!

Wow, this is really a big makeover. I think they learn from Logic about the layout and not to misuse icon. Of cos space and colour are important too. One thing really stand out is the Pro Channel. This is important to make cheap sound real good.

Pasted from mail.

Use Pro Tools 9 software with your favorite Avid® or third-party audio interface—or standalone
Create bigger, better-sounding mixes with more tracks, Automatic Delay Compensation, and other pro features included as standard
Open your workflow and collaboration to projects created in other audio and video software
Expand your hands-on control options with EUCON™ integration for Artist Series and Pro Series consoles/controllers
And more!

Save 40% on the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack
Buy Pro Tools 9 by December 17th and save 40% on Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack.

Hey guys,
I'm a Logic user. But I wanna explore new platform, and I need to roughly know what's the deal with learning Pro Tools since I'm already using Logic. :/
I do alot of MIDI for VSTis and audio for vocals, ac guitar and elec guitar. Will I benefit if I jump ship onto Pro Tools?

And let's say if I'm going to work for other studios next time, is it a must to learn pro tools? :) 10q :

Yes, if you need to bring your project to many studio to record. Probably, you will not do the recording, cos you really paid the engineer.

Regarding the above, having knowledge in Pro Tools will be extremely useful. It is the current industry standard, and if you have a DAW at home using PT, you can work simultaneously with your studio both at home, and whilst recording.

ever since Logic's been catching up with Protools's "image of being industry standard" , I've been thinking the term industry standard sounds more like "what most people use that works safely" then again irregardless of what DAW, as long as you bounce the .wav at 0:00:00 and midi export accurately and get the tempo track right. that is the universal "industry standard" to cross platform

hehe, industry standard been thrown around too much liao. After going through interviews and articles on producers, artist, dj etc, theres pretty much no "industry standard" other then what they are comfortable with and having softwares which facilitate their work, music making process etc.

End product with no music or stale sounding ideas, what ever standard also no use liao.

Well, if you are doing private studio, or throw everything to a studio, then whatever DAWs is ok, as long as engineering or the team of production is capable. Some old school engineer just Protools as a "harddisk recorder" as they do a lot of mix in analog domain .

Well, Industry Standard simply means what is the current most used DAWs in that particular industry worldwide. For example, ProTools is the current most used DAWs in the audio post/recording industry. And IMO, Logic is more commonly used by composer/arranger/song-writer than ProTools. Hence, one cannot compare them as in which is the industry standard. Coz although DAWs nowadays are pretty much simliar to one another, but each has it's own strong area, which can only define by the user themelves. Therefore, I always tell people that, one should not be bothered too much by this industry standard term when chosing a DAWs for yourself. Sometimes I may consider all these as market strategies to market their product. Most importantly is to choose one that serve your purpose, as well as, one you are most comfort with. But however, if you wish to develop a career in the audio engineering field, you have to know ProTools, coz most studio uses ProTools and if you don't it's hard to to employ.

Well, I uses ProTools since V6, but before I touched PT, I used many other DAWs like stuffs from Steinberg, Sonar, etc., and the moment I touched PT, I knew this is the one, I never wanna change, unless no choice. With ProTools 9 so affordable, and able to work without hardward or with third party hardware, what are you waiting for, make a switch and welcome to ProTools family man!

Back