Practicing with metronome

sidmontu

any advice? just got myself a BOSS DB-90, not quite sure how i can get the best out of it.. after piddling with it for a while, i do realise i have timing issues so any magic practicing tips to share? thanks!

what i've done is i tend to keep the accent with the beep on the 1-
16th notes
8th
4ths
this will give u a feel for all the sub divisions. the smaller the sub division the more accurate u have to be.

for swing or any swung rhythm i take off the accent on beat 1 and use only quater notes. i use the beats as the 2n4 instead of 1,2,3,4.

i also use a drop out for 4 bars or time and 4 bars of nothing.
1. this builds ur internal time
2. u will develop a feel for 4 bar phrases, which will help with ur chart reading and generally feel of where u are in the song.
3. after ur gd with 4 bar phrases, extend them to 8 bar and so on.

okie probably the most impt thing i can say is to split ur time up in 2 with time practicing.
PLAY TO RECORDS

DB 90 is amazing i could do many things with it! If i had the time I would spend the whole day just playing around with it..could learn all the different grooves..

Blurred: Could you tell me about swung rhythms? had a friend who mentioned that to me once, but he said its different from swing..

swung rhythms are generally rhythm tht is triplet based.
eg a shuffle, a jazz sprang a lang......a bembe can be felt in a swung way as well.

converting a straight rhythm into a swung rhythm wld entail-
1. taking the a triplet and removing the middle note eg in a 4/4 bar
1 trip-let 2 trip-let 3 trip-let 4 trip-let. now lets take away the middle note of the triplet figure it becomes

1 let 2 let 3 let 4 let.

so a straight rhythm wld be

1 n 2 n 3 n 4 n - convert this to a swung rhythm
1 let 2 let 3 let 4 let

the among of notes are they same but the rest portion has "increased" so to speak. listen to the rosanna shuffle or any half time shuffle. (babylon sisters by steely dan with bernard purdie playing)
he plays the 1 let on the hihats and the trip on the snare as a ghost, it creates a sort of rolling rhythm. very hard groove to get down. u can only get the swung feel from listening to music thts swung.

between the boss and the rhythm watch, which would you say is better? in terms of value and user friendliness?

congrats with the DB90 sidmontu. I love mine. You might want to get an adaptor for it. That thing eats 9volts very quickly. Went out on me in the middle of a performance before....that was scary. Check out the variety of groove patterns on it. And another thing that people dont know. You can plug an electric guit into it as an amp. Cool eh?

nice! thx a lot for the advice, i'll try get hold of an adapter this weekend also! thx blurred for all the exercises! i'm slowly discovering stuff on it, kinda cool and challenging to play the grooves the way db90 plays it..

Hey congrats on the DB 90 purchase! Ya, it eats 9V. I haven't bought my adaptor yet, so I have to do without the backlight :(

Jimmy Lee taught me a cool thing to tighten our internal sub-division clock. Set the metronome to 8th notes, then turn down the 1/4-note sound. Just turn up the Accent (on 1) and the 8th notes levels. Then you will hear 1+_+_+_+... It's really great when practising fills. Helps to lock down the subdivisions. Also great when practising swung 16th notes, since it's the 16th note that's swung.

Once you've got the 8th note thing, you can move onto 16th notes and leave out the downbeats and 8th notes, like this:

1e_a_e_a_e_a_e_a. Very killa! Am working on this, it's tough when playing massive fills with it. Have fun! ;D

thts really interesting audrey, will give it a go. its mark here, i took a brush lesson with u like 2 yrs ago

hey audrey!

good to see you here =)

i don't know if you remembered me, i was organising the drum xchanges early last year and did contact you about dropping by one of these days.

as you can see in the stickies, they are still alive and kicking.

we (the organising committee) hope you can drop by sometime, only and if you're free from work obligations of course.

i was just talking to mark (my colleague at the music lab) and he suggested we call u up one of these days for a brush lesson or two.

hope to see you soon!!

cheers,
alfe

hey audrey!

good to see you here =)

i don't know if you remembered me, i was organising the drum xchanges early last year and did contact you about dropping by one of these days.

as you can see in the stickies, they are still alive and kicking.

we (the organising committee) hope you can drop by sometime, only and if you're free from work obligations of course.

i was just talking to mark (my colleague at the music lab) and he suggested we call u up one of these days for a brush lesson or two.

hope to see you soon!!

cheers,
alfe

Hey Alfe,

I still have your message about the early Drum Xchange meetings. Sorry man, been really busy with my band's CD release last year. Then I "oh-tahng" 1 year of work to my family business, so I'm working like mad now :(

Yeah, I would like to come to the Drum Xchange next week, but I can't stay all the way though, may have rehearsal... How?

Brush lessons? Aiyah, I not that good lah... Can jam on brushes together also can, but the guys to check out would be Daryl Ervin -- he's subbing me this Thursday (Nov 8, 9pm-midnite) at BarStop -- and Louis Soliano. Though I don't think Louis is playing anywhere now... Like I always say, brushes aren't at all like sticks, so the approach to play them is different, kinda like a whip. And I feel that Daryl and Louis have the most whip-like approach to brushing -- very ol' skool like Max Roach, Philly Jo Jones like that...

Oops... sorry to deviate from the topic of metronomes... :oops:

thank you audrey for the feedback and recommendations, even if it did deviate from the metronome talk for a bit =)

you're more than welcome to drop by any time, some of the other fellows also tend to come for part of the meetup, say from 12-3pm or from 4pm onwards.

all the best and see you around soon!!!

dun worry, we are crap at brushes. yah we can "share" (u share we stare). hahahaha

i'm actually interested in using brushes outside the jazz context, ie latin, blues or pop. any help wld be appreciated

dun worry, we are crap at brushes. yah we can "share" (u share we stare). hahahaha

i'm actually interested in using brushes outside the jazz context, ie latin, blues or pop. any help wld be appreciated

Ok cool! Actually brushes in the other styles' context is simpler than the jazz context. But yes, showing it will be easier.

Back