Practice Pads

JustADrummer

Hey guys. I'm new here and have done my introduction in the introduction thread.

I was just wondering, do any of you guys know where to get practice pads ? Vic Firth or HQ (Double sided) ones ? I'm thinking of getting one. Any recommendations and comments ? Thanks ! :D

Well, it doesn't really make a difference what you get is what I feel. So go for the most economic. Besides, it would never perfectly emulate a drum surface, and getting used to that inconsistency is your best bet.

hi there justadrummer,

yamaha music (plaza singapura 6th floor) sells HQ real feel pads

drum resources (excelsior shopping centre basement, next to funan centre) sells epads

swee lee (bras brasah complex 3rd floor) carries remo practice pads, amongst others

try to make a trip to them to assess first.

i would say the HQ real feel's bouncier while epads give you better workout on wrist snap. the remo one's quite noisy..haha

cheers!!

my recommendation is the HQ one - test it out yourself first though!
it is more bouncy, but i feel it is the more "realistic" (and quiet) one out of all the bouncy pads.
i think for starters a bouncy pad is good to practice stroke consistency and stick control (check out vicfirth for mark wessel's lessons) plus you get to practice buzz rolls.

that said practice on different surfaces. if you wanna go for really economical you can just fold a small towel on the floor or any other hard surface and use that first :) that way can save money plus vary the intensity by folding the towel more. i used to practice on my computer chair before i got a pad.

There's one Epad which you can strap to your leg to play it while sitting down.

Like what Plainsman said, the remo pad is very noisy. I rather play on my snare than on that.(it's just slightly louder)

There's a putty pad at sweelee too. That one is like plasticine. It can be rolled and kept in a container. I haven't tried on this pad before but I heard quite average reviews from people.

I prefer the e-pad better (the feel not so bouncy)...quite close to the snare rebound.

I have a Sabian 14" one (have rims on it) bought from Swee Lee cost me S$90 after discount....anyone want it - I am selling it. Kekekeke..you can call me

I think Nigel has this practice pad that is damn "kilat" but very expensive. I tried both the normal practice pad and the bass practice pad... very solid feel and the rebound is very little. I think for those who want a very solid practice pad with little to no rebound for a good workout can consider that pad.

The HQ pad has two kinds... the thinner one and the thicker one. Personally I'd advise you to go for the thicker pad.. the thinner one feels very flimsy IMHO. I've got the thicker practice pad (10" i think), and its very nice. You can "rimshot" on it because its large enough for your stick's shoulder to land on it, aka like a snare rimshot.

The remo practice pad is rather crappy. I used to own one and I've never touched it since I got a Vic Firth practice pad. It's loud, noisy and feels too plasticky to be of any good.

The VF practice pad is decent (whole pack comes with a lot of sticks and a nice little drumming book. pricy though), just that its a bit too much rebound for me.

Btw fyi, the HQ RealFeel practice pad costs around $20+ for the smaller thinner one, $30+ for the small thicker one, and $50+ for the large one. They've got stands for it too, but its another $40+ for it.

There's a putty pad at sweelee too. That one is like plasticine. It can be rolled and kept in a container. I haven't tried on this pad before but I heard quite average reviews from people.

The putty pad... sticks up dirt everywhere you go. Either have a clean house or get ready for putty with loads of hair.

I'm using a double-sided HQ RealFeel 12", bought it as Yamaha Plaza Sing, cost around $45 after discount with membership card...It's good because you can practise on 2 different surfaces, but I hardly ever use the neoprene one though. The Remo one is very loud, sounds almost like a snare itself, IMO.

I've tried a couple of practice pads but my personal favorite is still the E-Pad. Good feel and it's quiet. Check it out at Nigel's shop if you can. :)

i recommend getting 2 types. a soft one to get the muscles in ur hand going and a hard one to deal with the bounce. impt to also have a pad thts thin and is able to sit on top of ur snare.
u need both a hard and soft pad, i normally just use my knee for the soft feel.

pardon me for asking, but when you guys mention practice pads, you really mean that rubber round thingy that looks like you can put your hot pot of instant noodles on it right? i'm a learning drummer hoping to get much better than i am now, so if you may, please advise? :) thank you in advance!

good question. even after i got my first drum pad, i kept eyeing other kinds of drum pads, and find myself checking them out. i ended up with several drum pads, but i do use one predominantly (the e-pad)

at the same time, i couldn't quite kick the habit of practicing on ma good ol' bed. when i'm outside, i use rods and brushes on anything i can find, plastic stools etc.

no harm trying out different stuff.... ;)

cheers

haha, really, thanks a lot! when i was in the school band. i thought the percussionists were just practicing their strokes on a noise reducer pad or something. still, eventually they started on the cement floor anyways. LOL!

I just started picking up the drums, and I use my new shoes (vans) as a practice pad.. The soft parts for wrist practicing, and the soles for bounce and such. So far so good. Haha.

Wah clever boy. Try using your sticks practice the Rudiments on your own Thigh just above your Knees (If you're Right Handed - do it on Right-Thigh) - Try It ! - then switch to your snare - you will find the rebound is close to the snare.

WARNING: - Don't hit too hard - cause it painful if you do so ... Or, maybe because my skin is not so thick afterall .... Kekekeke !

Cheers !

I think Nigel has this practice pad that is damn "kilat" but very expensive. I tried both the normal practice pad and the bass practice pad... very solid feel and the rebound is very little. I think for those who want a very solid practice pad with little to no rebound for a good workout can consider that pad.

The HQ pad has two kinds... the thinner one and the thicker one. Personally I'd advise you to go for the thicker pad.. the thinner one feels very flimsy IMHO. I've got the thicker practice pad (10" i think), and its very nice. You can "rimshot" on it because its large enough for your stick's shoulder to land on it, aka like a snare rimshot.

The remo practice pad is rather crappy. I used to own one and I've never touched it since I got a Vic Firth practice pad. It's loud, noisy and feels too plasticky to be of any good.

The VF practice pad is decent (whole pack comes with a lot of sticks and a nice little drumming book. pricy though), just that its a bit too much rebound for me.

Btw fyi, the HQ RealFeel practice pad costs around $20+ for the smaller thinner one, $30+ for the small thicker one, and $50+ for the large one. They've got stands for it too, but its another $40+ for it.

does sweelee sell the remo pads with the stand? and if they do, do they hold cymbals?

Back