Possible to learn keyboard through website?

jonathan920

I dont really have that amount of money to attend pop piano lesson. Is it possible to learn keyboard through website? i'm, planning to get one keyboard soon. I'm old! 17 x.X!

It is possible, but your learning speed will be like four times slower than if you had a proper teacher. Even a friend who knows keyboard to watch you play is faster than a website. Also, age is NOT a factor in learning any instrument, practise is. You can practise like crazy now, and it might be possible to reach the same standard as a professional keyboardist is in maybe eight years?

Don't flame me yet, the number of years is all guesswork by myself, I have neither statistics nor sufficient experience to gauge these things accurately. Just a gut instinct and looking at how fast my friend progressed when he practised his guitar like crazy.

Edit: So learning from a website is all right, but by my maths, it would take you 32 years to get professional. My friend also approached many of his own friends to teach him.

Last edited:
Hey , I dun think ages is a very big factor in learning music =D , I had heard of many adults 30++ who do not have any music knowledge and started out with only passion to learn it.
I am 17 years old now as well , I am planning on learning piano now and I do not have any music/piano knowledge.....
I do not have a piano/keyboard at home now as well...
Still finding a teacher though.....
good luck.

This is my first or second post:D Very new to music too

Yeah, I am one of those in the 30s...learning too:mrgreen:

Yes, it will be slow as there will be times when I feel I really need to ask certain things:confused: I tried youtube but I couldn't really follow either....i can't seem to learn by following step by step

so what I do now is to listen to the music ...pause it.....and try it out slowly...then write it down...so far this is most effective, though still slow:(

So dun worry, there are tons of people like us out there, scratching our heads and trying still..I tried going for lessons but i couldn't get what the teacher was teaching...yeah, i am sloooowwww, really. So I decided to stop and try at home.

That's a good way to self-learn. That's how I did it when I was younger. Except in those days, I was using a cassette tape player, pressing play, stop, rewind, play, stop, rewind etc just to get a phrase right, wrote it down, then play it. Train the ear at the same time.

I suggest you borrow/buy a good instruction book for pop piano learning. I find books more effective than websites most of the time.

As for whether you need a teacher or not, it depends on how much of a self-learner you are. A teacher will prevent you from cultivating a lot of wrong habits early on. But the teacher may not teach exactly what you want to learn.

Back