• Martin

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Taylor

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other Brands

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters

playguitar

Hi guys, I'm doing a survey on consumers choice of acoustic guitar brands. Based on experience (not from what you read in the internet) Please help me by voting for the guitar brand you guys prefer in term of playability and tone.
It’ll be great if you can give a testimonial for the guitar brand you voted

It will indeed be a great help. Thank you.

I vote other brands because my main acoustic now is an Ibanez Sage and I like it very, very much... I'd vote for Maestro if I had to choose one of those, because I find Maestro acoustics really nice to listen to though action is pretty high out of the box.

i voted for the Other Brands too.
cos I only have one acoustic guitar which is the Gibson SJ-200 EC.
i dont know what to say abt my Gibson, but it's just pure awesomeness !
going to get one Maestro acoustic guitar for my sister.
will test them out this friday ~
however, i do like Takamines too after testing them out at Luther MusicWorks.

my vote goes to cort, never owned one, but all the corts i tried juz sounded pleasing to my ear

same goes to maestro guitars, although i juz haf a slight personal preference for cort

Well it depends on whether you're looking for high-end or low-end guitars, imo.

For a brand that would sound good even professionally with a budget of below 1k, I'd say Cort's really sweet and great sounding, fishman pickups included. I got annoyed when some people looked at the brand and told me to get a Fender acoustic, just because Fender is a more popular brand. Fenders, not that fantastic acoustically.

For more pricey brands I'd really love to get an Alvarez. Cool sound, that one. Got the chance to try it at Livingstrings a long time ago.

But, just my opinion!

Seagull S6 or S5.
Bought it for $350+ from Ah Phek (the drummer) at Ranking.
One of the best sounding acoustics i've ever owned (played) at that price.
The sound is clear yet full...
Its solid cedar top, back and sides not too sure, but its light coloured.
And its "matt" finished. (Unfinished?)
Still regret i sold it off years ago.
And Paul Gilbert signed the guitar too! :oops:

Recently tried a Yamaha LL6 acoustic at luther. Changed my views on Yamaha acoustic, its the first Yamaha acoustic I played that sounds full and not too thin. Previous yamahas I tried are too thin and "artificial" to my liking.

i think ... an acoustic guitarist must first understand the tonal differences in woods used for the guitar.

The brands do reflect certain differing manufacturing methods / quality standards etc...
but main contributors to tone is still the woods and pickup systems etc...

Personally i think santa cruz makes very good guitars.
Taylor's higher end range are also pretty nice..but the prices quite steep...

Gibson acoustics rock also.. for that traditional sound.

which acoustic guitar brand you prefer

I vote for Takamine coz I live with Takamine G-Series(black).It has a smooth,clear and bright tone which I fall in love with.It's all about preference actually.:)

Thanks everyone for the inputs, personally I'll vote for Maestro, tried one of their guitar, Equator.

First impression is, good action, good playability. After trying it for a while i find that has a balanced tone more to mellow. very versatile piece i feel, sounded very good especially for strumming. And the price is good for the full solid guitar.

However I hope the workmanship at area of the neckjoint can be improve, glue can be seen.

To me as long as it sounded decent...I am happy...though I personally like the tone from Martin more than any others....

Action not too low(seems like the trend nowadays, to me, low action is for the pampered fingers)...a little high action give you that extra tone...

Ultimately, it is the player...

I chose "other guitars" as my favourite "Live" guitar is my MATON EM225C. I also own a TAYLOR 355 12 String which I love, BUT value for money and tone and shear joy of playing goes to my MATON. I love it.

playability & tone -> taylor. :)

in terms of pricing, taylor acoustics lean towards the expensive side. but i guess the slightly higher prices contribute to the quality of the guitars & customer service. if i'm on a budget, i'll get a maestro.

seagull & gibson sound pretty awesome, though! never tried either brand's acoustics before...

The brands do reflect certain differing manufacturing methods / quality standards etc...
but main contributors to tone is still the woods and pickup systems etc...

I've only tried one brand so far thats made me go "WOW!"... It's not a Ovation, Taylor, Martin, Takamine, Godin or any known brand... It's not even a Breedlove nor a Ramirez... It's some really oddball unknown Swiss-Made brand called Schertler. That one acoustic was mind blowing... It's STILL blowing my mind today, and I had only played it ONCE...

value for money and tone and shear joy of playing goes to my MATON. I love it.

+1 for Maton.

If you are ever in Melbourne and have a big pile of cash, you can go to the factory and pick out all the bits they use to make your guitar.

Maestro got some nice guitars too. They make some pretty sweet Ukulele's too.

Also vote for Maton. Despite what they said about being careful about climate changes, my Maton A80 had been with me more than 10 years in 3 different countries (temperate and tropical). And still giving me great tone and sound! I even asked them for a Maton truss rod for fear of lack of support in other countries outside Australia. They were very nice and gave me one - though I never had to use it. Oh, they also gave me a nice Maton hard case - free. One fine day will go for the Maton Messiah.

Last edited:
Back