Plucking?

cammi200

I just started learning bass for fun... have been getting used to using my index finger to pluck... watched some youtube videos and saw that some bass players use picks for plucking while others can use most of their fingers to pluck... which is the correct method of these 3?

there is no correct method to plucking/picking, just what you're most comfortable with.

still, it's best to learn as many ways as possible as you'll become more versatile.

another common misconception. there are many good bassists out there who play with plectrums, like...for some reason i can only think of Duff McKegan. anyway most bassists use picks as they can give your tone the "attack" fingers can never give. that's why learning to play with both fingers and picks makes you more versatile, since you have a wider range of tones.

although i must say that nowadays there seem to be more bassists with picks. probably due to the influence of pop/punk rock etc. and everyone knows most of those songs aren't bass-heavy.

I also have a problem with plucking strings.
I started not long ago, and my index and middle fingers pluck unevenly.
And I was told that I was plucking too " gu niang " . Like playing Gu zheng.
So I tried plucking harder, but it makes a lot of metal metal sound even though my fingernails are NOT scratching or hitting the strings.
Any help?
I was told that if my plucking is done correctly, at tempo 80, I could play semi-quavers...
But now I can't, so a little help on how to improve my plucking? XP
Thanks a lot yah? :D

metal metal? you're probably plucking so hard that the strings are hitting the frets, causing the clanky sounds. probably only desirable if you're trying to play like Steve Harris.

what you need to do is practice plucking plugged in, so you can hear the differences in volume when you pluck with different fingers. from there, you can work on evening out the volume by plucking harder or softer. as for speed, nothing else but practice.

my teacher say those bassist who can't play bass uses pick.

Nonsense. Ask your teacher to suck your balls. Lol. I believe that those big shot bassists who use pick to get the sound they want. They are just not showing their technical side. Like slapping and popping * where pick is not needed *. Like what b33r said, more versatility.

Hmm... if we have more practice, will our fingers be more flexible? i can't really work with pluck becos i'll accidently pluck onto the other strings. -.-

Hmm... if we have more practice, will our fingers be more flexible? i can't really work with pluck becos i'll accidently pluck onto the other strings. -.-

haha yeah of course. and become faster too.

as for plucking other strings, it means u need more work on your pick :)

Last edited:
what you mean by suggestions for that? just start with slower tempo, increasing it only when you can manage the timing without problem.

Latest posts

Back