[Pictures!] Flipping a humbucker out of phase a.k.a. Peter Green Mod

the_insomniac

I flipped my humbuckers out of phase (aka the "peter green les paul mod") for fun the other day, so i thought, why not take some pics so everyone can try.

What is the Peter Green mod? Basically you're flipping the magnet of one of your humbuckers to reverse the polarity. So when you select both humbuckers, one will "cancel" out some frequencies of the other. But whats left is this very interesting out of phase sound, sort of like a clear, honky stratocaster in-between position 2 and 4 sound with very nice high end. Quite cool for a les paul style guitar which tends to get muddy. Jimmy Page uses it quite a lot. Here;s how the Peter Green mod sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qkF_6LNPA&feature=related

Anyway its reversible so you can try for fun, just be careful not to destroy your humbucker. Here's a step by step of how to do it..
(I did it on a 335 but its the same for an LP)

STEP 1
Unscrew the humbucker from the guitar body and remove the plastic housing that attaches the humbucker to the guitar. This should be whats left. I wrapped the body of the guitar with cloth, to protect it from scratches or burns.
Step1.jpg

STEP 2
The baseplate of the humbucker is fixed to the nickel cover of the humbucker by these 2 solder joints (see the red arrows). You can use a soldering iron to soften the solder, and when its soft enough, you can use a razor or a penknife to slice open the solder. But solder is a soft material anyway, so if you're persistent, you can just use a penknife and try to slice it away, just don't damage the pickup or cut off your finger
Step2.jpg

STEP 3
Once the solder is gone, sometimes you can just lift the cover. Sometimes the cover is stuck shut cos the insides are all waxed together against the cover. I used a hairdryer on my cover, which softened the wax very quickly. COver just pops off. You can still see the excess wax on the cover in the pic.
Step3.jpg

STEP 4
Ok now you have the bare humbucker. YOu need to push out the rectangular thing in the pic -- thats your magnet. Again, it will prob be stuck thanks to the wax. So you can use a hairdryer on it again, just to loosen stuff up. You can also loosen the 4 screws that attach the humbuckers to the baseplate. Anyway, once you push out the magnet, flip the magnet ACCORDING TO THE ARROW in the pic and push it back in again (i.e. flip it breadth wise, not lengthwise). Tighten everything up, replace everything, reassemble, resolder if you want, pot the pickup in wax if you want. DONE! Now you have a Peter Green modded out of phase tone when you switch to the middle position.
Step4.jpg

Last edited:
haha thanks, soft needs more pics and how-to tutorials anyway..
I don't know whether its a PAF or reissue, but its definitely not vintage lah, since its from a factory stock 2006 gibson..

haha thanks, soft needs more pics and how-to tutorials anyway..
I don't know whether its a PAF or reissue, but its definitely not vintage lah, since its from a factory stock 2006 gibson..

Curiously, have you tried wiring the pickups out of phase before?

I read that WIRED out of phase vs Flipped-Magnet OoP - sound different.

no, didnt try to wire out of phase, its more complicated than the magnet flip cos apparently you have to insulate one of the flipped wires with some kinda heat shrink tubing.. and i don't know how to do that!

^ mm mm it's not that hard, really, you just need to go to Sim Lim tower for the right diameter of Heat Shrink tubing, slip it around the part that needs insulating and use the hairdryer and watch the heat shrink tube shrink around the wire hence insulating it.

I'd give you some heat shrink to play with if I wasn't like, enlisting on Friday and don't have time to meet anyone. No matter, heat shrink is really cheap, around 5 bucks a meter?

i see.. sounds like a good project for another day..

^ mm mm it's not that hard, really, you just need to go to Sim Lim tower for the right diameter of Heat Shrink tubing, slip it around the part that needs insulating and use the hairdryer and watch the heat shrink tube shrink around the wire hence insulating it.

I'd give you some heat shrink to play with if I wasn't like, enlisting on Friday and don't have time to meet anyone. No matter, heat shrink is really cheap, around 5 bucks a meter?

What is the Peter Green mod? Basically you're flipping the magnet of one of your humbuckers to reverse the polarity. So when you select both humbuckers, one will "cancel" out some frequencies of the other.

Just flipping the magnet? Really? I thought it was actually a bit more than that? Wasn't it also to do with re-winding the coils? Because the guy who worked on that pup had never worked with Humbuckers before, and since one coil broke, he wound it the wrong way round?

Anyways, yes, that reversed polarity tone is nice, but there are many winders out there who already offer such a pickup for sale. WB, WCRs, Stephens, Lollar, etc etc...

Electrically out of phase and magnetically out of phase apparently makes a difference. Haven't lurked on the Seymour Duncan forums long enough to remember if it was true.

Anyways I am a proponent for Series/Parallel in a humbucker over coil splitting.

Back