Picking up Jazz piano

winstonia83

Hi guys. Where can I learn how to play jazz piano and improvisation? I heard my friend play the jazz version of Somewhere over the rainbow and it sounds really nice and i want to play piano like that too! Any advice? Yamaha jazz course? ABRSM? Private? Which one is better?

If I were you , I would go for private individual lessons because you get full attention from the teacher with no compromises whatsoever.... :)

Hmm...no official background. Been playing bass and guitar for about 8 years and currently teaching bass and guitar too. Know how to play chords and basic impro like 2-5-1 and tritone and stuff. But somehow i still find my knowledge is still lacking when I saw my friend play that jazz piece. Training makes a significant difference. I bought a Korg TR recently and am practising on it too.

So I guess you've got background in chords having played guitar and bass for a number of years. A few points to note:

1. Depending on how you learned guitar - if you learned it like most people (chords), you'll know your chords by the pattern of your fingers on the fret. That will be significantly different from playing a piano - at least in your mind. If you learned by reading notes and sees notes in your mind, then piano may be slightly easier.

2. If you have good chord background, the main skill you have to pick up is skill and technique. Going for some form of lessons is the easiest way to go about this.

so anyone have any good schools to recommend teaching jazz or improvisational piano? have got 10++ yrs of classical background and keen to explore further. :wink:

besides yamaha? cos i went to the branch in tampines and the counter staff very rude... just asked her for schedule and to know more, but the auntie just brushed me off saying "ALL CLASSES FULL".... maybe i wearing old tee & japanese slippers that time, look like cannot afford piano classes... :cry:

I have a friend who performs and teaches Jazz piano. Really good at it and hes a very friendly and patient guy. He has many simple formulas for "complexisizing" all your usual chords and stuff.

Northwood specializes in jazz? Please don't joke. Ask the jazz guy there to reharmonize and do substitution for any jazz standard and he'll be stumped.

Better still.... bring a copy of Giant Steps and see him fumble.

Any jazz instructor worth his salt should be able to play ANY song from the Real Book and solo over the lines while creating harmonic interest with alterations, extensions, substitution and different voicings. That's really the basic.

As for Play-by-Ear? Unless they can arrange for u to be coached under Aya, Bruno or Mario. Else save your money.

Yamaha...

I had jazz piano lessons from a very structured teacher from Yamaha, Simon...This guy plays like a monster...He teaches at plaza S'pura, check him out!

Picking up jazz piano

Watch you don't hurt your back ;)

I imagine one of those jazz pianos are just as heavy as your normal pianos :)

(joke btw)

I have a friend who performs and teaches Jazz piano. Really good at it and hes a very friendly and patient guy. He has many simple formulas for "complexisizing" all your usual chords and stuff.
Hey there - Can i have the contact of your friend please? Interested to learn improvisation.

Back