One of my worst experiences with a sound engineer!!!

alvinthedrummer

I thought I have seen the worst for the last 15 years worth of performances....until last night that is.

During setup, I requested for a rather minimal microphone arrangement for the small percussion kit that we have brought. I requested for one mic to be used as an overhead microphone and one of the mics to be used on the miniature "floor tom" (14" by 10" in size). I was rejected at an instant by the sound engineer. His reason was that by placing the vocal mic ( shure sm58 ), we will "blow" the system up. I then reassured him that I have used this setup for countless shows using either the sm57s or sm58s with no issues whatsoever. In fact, my most recent show was an outdoor setup very similar to what we were going to be presenting last evening and that was at Paragon shopping centre's outdoor stage (The Gift Of Music series). In fact, the PA speakers we used at Paragon were similar Mackie speakers that were setup last evening. I even reassured him that I have used the similar setup at local clubs too with no issues at all. His reply to me was that the club situations were different since those speakers didn't belong to me so it didn't matter if I were to "blow" it up. I found that really unreasonable, rude and disrespectful.

Having heard that, my bassist who was present, walked to the sound engineer and requested for an explanation as to why he refused to mic up the percussion set as requested. He replied my bassist in mandarin saying that he had asked the "wrong" question and said that he will not answer it. My bassist then requested for an explanation as to why his question was "wrong" and that he only needed to know the details of his initial refusal to our microphone arrangement. At this point, the engineer started to raise his voice and asked in Mandarin if my bassist was "looking for trouble". My bassist was taken a back and tried to explain again that he was only merely asking for an explanation. Then the engineer began shouting and decided to "nudge" my bassist with his hand. My bassist then took offense and raised his voice back at the engineer saying that he was being unreasonable. The engineer stood up and began challenging my bassist to a fight. Even the engineer's team of young helpers started gesturing with their hands in a manner as if to provoke a physical fight. My guitarist then stepped in to divide the groups.

I really question this sound-engineer's integrity as a professional. His claim that mic'ing up a mini floor tom would blow up a pair of Mackie speakers was most ridiculous! So, if you guys ever spot this sound team...beware!! Either you agree of you might just get beaten up for the silliest reason ever!

By the way, the engineer's name is Keith and he is from Lee Kwong Seng Music Centre. So beware!

Last edited:
Very bad! Who is this soundman, singapore is so geographically small. And he is acting in a hooligan manner. Maybe he hasn't been taught a lesson before by others who are not afriad of him?

These days, people all over are abusing their power. Here's something i just read an hour ago

"The other night my good friend was assaulted by security at a show, for the record my friend was in the band playing the show, and assaulted for no significant reason. In the end the cops came and did anything but help. I was doing my thing and staying out of everyones way and just photographing what was going on. One cop didn't like that, so he requested I stop taking photographs. I told him I was not going to stop and that it was my right to take photographs on public property.

His response? shoving me against a wall, yelling at me in my face, with very colorful words and spit, and threatening to arrest me and break my camera. I told him that he was wrong and that I could take photos of whatever I wanted. Once again, more colorful words, shoving me against a wall harder etc etc.

Although the right thing to do would be to further disagree with him, I went against my instinct and just backed off. When it is you vs the state, you almost always lose and id rather just have my camera. I feel like a coward but I was stuck.

For the record I was in the right, and he was in the wrong- just a reminder, review your rights, you can download the pdf here: www.krages.com/phoright.htm"

kerplunk182

Just a note from a fellow photo-clicker, I click when I can, don't click when I can't. Capture the moment, don't become the moment.

No picture is more valuable than my life.

These days, people all over are abusing their power. Here's something i just read an hour ago

"The other night my good friend was assaulted by security at a show, for the record my friend was in the band playing the show, and assaulted for no significant reason. In the end the cops came and did anything but help. I was doing my thing and staying out of everyones way and just photographing what was going on. One cop didn't like that, so he requested I stop taking photographs. I told him I was not going to stop and that it was my right to take photographs on public property.

His response? shoving me against a wall, yelling at me in my face, with very colorful words and spit, and threatening to arrest me and break my camera. I told him that he was wrong and that I could take photos of whatever I wanted. Once again, more colorful words, shoving me against a wall harder etc etc.

Although the right thing to do would be to further disagree with him, I went against my instinct and just backed off. When it is you vs the state, you almost always lose and id rather just have my camera. I feel like a coward but I was stuck.

For the record I was in the right, and he was in the wrong- just a reminder, review your rights, you can download the pdf here: www.krages.com/phoright.htm"

It is better off you got our rule/regulation/law on this subject. The link do not serve any purpose. Engage an lawyer on this subject. Only black and white to prove you are right.

Last edited:
It's not i got balls,but its' not right to bully Alvin and also use outnumbering people to scare his customers off.

wat sound engineer? most of these jokers are monkeys behind a sound console..........dunno f-all dats why get upset when they get found out hahaha

lee kwang seng?nearby khatib camp?if it's true must say i am really dissappointed,as i got along with most of the people there..but i never met this 'keith' before..

From your story, this Keith has little or no formal knowledge in sound engineering. He is either lazy or not sure about the products he's dealing with.

He's THAT Keith from Lee Kwong Seng?? I spoke with him on the phone a few times re: equipment rental, had no problems with him before... Odd. But if it's really him that I guess that's no excuse for his rough behaviour - Must go find uncle lee on friday to talk talk. lol

He's THAT Keith from Lee Kwong Seng?? I spoke with him on the phone a few times re: equipment rental, had no problems with him before... Odd. But if it's really him that I guess that's no excuse for his rough behaviour - Must go find uncle lee on friday to talk talk. lol

Tell us the outcome of the talk haha. I used to jam at lee kwong seng back in my sec sch days. He's generally a nice guy. Only complains all the time that the bass is too loud even if the master volume is at 1 lol. Used to help him out every now and then at shows. I'm quite surprised he has a band of thugs working for him now. That Keith guy sounds really unprofessional.

Tell us the outcome of the talk haha. I used to jam at lee kwong seng back in my sec sch days. He's generally a nice guy. Only complains all the time that the bass is too loud even if the master volume is at 1 lol. Used to help him out every now and then at shows. I'm quite surprised he has a band of thugs working for him now. That Keith guy sounds really unprofessional.

Haha my band now jams there every alternate fridays since it's quite near our place.

IIRC, Keith isn't exactly working for LKS anymore for a long time - he just handles any equipment rental that people may ask from LKS.

Back