One Night In Bangkok

vernplum

I'm in Bangkok on business.

My Thai colleague who also plays the guitar took me to a few stores - one in Central World Plaza (formerly World Trade Centre) which has a wide selection of Fenders and Music Mans. As a comparison, they are selling 50th Ann Strat for $2450 right now where I paid $2600 in Swee Lee.

We then went to some place in China Town called Soi Nakhon Kasem where there are about 10-12 music stores within half a square kilometre. All the popular big brands there (but sadly no Boogie) and I suppose competitive prices.

I guess with these ValueAir and Tiger air flights you could fly to BKK and back the same day and pick up a guitar, all for less than you might pay here. Tourists get 7% VAT (GST) refund but you'd pay I guess 5% at SG customs. The only trouble is, wandering around thoses stores is ridiculously tiring - they are nearly all open on to the street and it was almost 40 degrees C!

I heard in Thailand they can customize you a guitar, in whatever way you want, to YOUR specifications, for one grand.

Is that true? Obviously its a no-brand guitar, but still... its like your own signature series man. You can even put your name on the headstock.

wow...... so good huh?...... :lol:

own signature series no brand also never mind........ shoik can liao....... :wink:

:twisted:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. But if you're in Bangkok, be sure to check out the row of guitar shops along Klong Lod as well ( beside the river walkway).

I just came back from Bangkok and I got myself a Red Custom Modded 4 band eq MT for only S$32.

They sell SD pickups at about $20 cheaper than Davis as well.

Will definitely check it out - how many shops are there?

What's a nearby landmark - saying "Klong Lod kap?" to the taxi driver might not get me very far considering my hideous command of the Thai language and accent. :)

About 8 to 9.... you can tell the taxi to go along Klong Lod road and you will be able to see the stores selling guitars pretty easily...

The Klong Lod road runs parallel to a river canel which happens to be the Klong Lod river if I'm not mistaken.

wow i didnt know of klong lod road. i just came back from a 4d3n free and easy and i've been to the central world plaza and soi nakhon kasem stretch of shops....they have the most outrageous jem copies i've seen...think jem 7vwh...but with the brand "spider" hahha...but it definitelty is cheaper den sw** L** i guess..since you can bargain and such..but whether they're original...hahaa...that leaves to be seen

I just came back from a 4d 3n trip to Bangkok with my gf too.. so my guitar hunting was not as extensive as I want it to be. :wink:

The more established shops (Siam Discovery Centre) actually sells stuff at a much higher price than most shops in Singapore (around the same price or slightly higher than Swee Lee). If you want a very detailed map of Bangkok with all the lil secrets and locations, I suggest the Nancy Chandler's map. (do a google search on it) The stores along Klong Lod were reccommended by her!

I found one of the shops around Klong Lod road who has shopkeepers that can speak a lil bit of English...so that makes communication slightly easier instead of using handsigns ha.

Its around the 3rd 4/th shop and those guys are quite friendly. I ask them about Boss pedals and the shop owner took out a big banner from the back of the store and started pointing out the pedals individually and explaining in half english half thai. Go try out some of their custom made pedals there. They make copies using boss casings but with modified pcbs. Some are really good and they cost around S$30 which is a steal. I initally wanted to buy an original stock boss pedal but the shop owner reccommeded me their mods are much better and much cheaper. Talk about customer service!

The shop keeper actually volunteered to demo play some of the pedals which I'm interested in. I settled for their custom modded mt2 in the end.

Back