Omar Hakim

hi

Went for Mr Omar Hakim's Clinic on the 21 September 2006.

when the clinic started, Mr Hakim came out with Tom Scott and they played a 2 man band electronic kind of music, with Omar Hakim on drums and Tom Scott on synthesizer. the crazy thing is that both of them play with click tracks and read charts while jamming together... and they said this clinic was likened to a rehearsal for their new album. they played perfect.

it's very interesting how they create musical situations for each other to express freely. even though the kind of music is not the kind that i would usually appreciate, their playing made me do otherwise. or maybe it's just their playing. :)

it's hard to describe Mr Hakim's playing... it simply is quite perfect? even his fill ins were musical like his groove. they were sing-able, and made sense to any audience, whether they understood music or not. never quite seen 32 notes that fast right in front of my face before...

there was this part, where he was soloing, and he was playing between his bass drum and toms, and he was crossing time... it was like a never ending sea of tom notes... the song and solo, hit a perfect climax.

when it came to questions and answers, Mr Hakim informed us on the various aspects of the newest Roland drumset. after that, he opened the floor for questions.

what inspired me was his approach to the drums. like Dr Steve Gadd, he was talking about drums through the perspective of music. he said something that really hit the nail on the head: music is a language. rudiments are just like the alphabet. when you converse, you don't think of the alphabet, you just "talk" freely.

something else he said goes something like this: musicians simply aim to put down whatever they hear in their head on their respective instruments in that instant. as a musician, that never ends... as a musician, i live to ride out freely on a musical high, where the music just carries me through the motion freely... that's what i live for.

a note for drummers: physically speaking, it is all about flexibility ;)

something about Mr Hakim is that he is very knowledgeable, and he really loves music and enjoys what he does. he has a great big welcoming smile, and when he plays music, he is always smiling. you can see that he really enjoys what he does.

thanks Mr Hakim for coming down :) you are a great reason for all drummers to stay humble :)

"connecting emotion to the motion" - Omar Hakim

great drummer - he was indeed

hi all
this is just a very good, simple n straight froward example
of being a musician let alone Drummer
in our verry country Singapore i have found out that that
noble attitude was simply amiss. so so very sad and disappointing
to learn that there are indeed plenty of BAD ATTITUDE musician
than the good ones exist.
my pal it's good that u dare to say what you had said and I really
admire that sincerely.
i believe that you belong to the good ones. Usually snobs wont