[Official] : KT Tunstall Drastic Fantastic Tour 2008 Concert SOFT Review

lurgee

KT Tunstall : Drastic Fantastic Tour 2008 Concert Review

Cheers from the 2000 plus crowd were short lived when the lights of the Suntec Convention hall went slightly dim but only to find the stage crew doing some last minute fine tuning. Fifteen minutes later the lights went dim again and this time it was the real deal. KT Tunstall and her backing band took the stage at about 8.30pm to the eruption of the fans who were there to catch the BRIT Award winner. KT gave her fans a thumb up before breaking into the opening song, Little Favours, off her second album Drastic Fantastic.

main.php

Dressed in a simple white tank-top, ripped jeans and armed with a couple of guitars, KT went on to charm the crowd with her singing, guitar playing and humour. KT took time to interact with the crowd in the simple, intimate and cosy setting of the hall, introducing songs and sharing experiences from her recent Australian tour.

The jovial Scot didn’t look tired at all despite having an early morning television interview with Channel News Asia and probably a couple more media interviews afterwards. One could tell that she was really enjoying performing for the Singapore crowd. The audience when wild when she started tapping on her guitar to begin the start of her famous loops and went on to do a solo rendition of her 2005 hit, Black Horse And The Cherry Tree which broke her into fame after playing it on the Jools Holland show. Everyone got onto their feet and began tapping, clapping and singing along. You can literally feel the floor vibrating.

Some fans in front made her posters and a noticeable one which she took, was a pencil drawing of her from the Drastic Fantastic album cover with signatures from her fans thanking her for coming down to Singapore to play. Another poster read “Meet Us Please!” and meet she did. She went over to their side of the stage, said a few words to them and even posed for photos.

main.php

The audience went wild again when she went into Suddenly I see which was the last song of her main set. One could see people dancing around and jumping along to the song obviously enjoying every single verse. The band went off stage only to come back moments later for a 4 song encore.

“This is a participation song people!” said KT to the eager fans. She encouraged everyone to sing-along with her to her version of The Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian. It was definitely fun and many were seen smiling when KT pranced around on stage and even posing an Egyptian fashion with one arm up and the other down.

All good things have to come to an end and at about 10.15pm, KT and band finished up a captivating performance which left everyone wanting for more. KT was presented a bouquet of flowers from promoter LAMC and thanked her fans again before heading to the dressing room. Many left the Suntec Convention Hall happy, like kids who just had ice cream. This wasn’t the end of some fans who had stayed back hoping to catch a glimpse of the KT again. She greeted fans who stayed back to an almost empty hall for at least 30mins and obliged for photos and autographs. Kudos to her for doing that. It must have been a really memorable night for them. We will definitely await for the one woman guitar storm to come back to our shores. 2 concerts in 1 week but this was definitely so much better and enjoyable. 

Thanks to James for the opportunity and LAMC for bringing yet another wonderful and talented performer.

main.php

Random Stuff:

- There were at least 20 people in the queue by 5pm.
- Various guitars from Gretsch, Gibson, Epiphone, Fender and a Thunderbird were spotted. (Apologise for the lack of model info as I am no guitar expert, I can only identify the brands. Ha.)
- KT’s loop pedal is affectionaly known as “Wee Bastard”.
- KT’s keyboardist, Kenny, was wearing a Scottish kilt and came down and danced with her.
- Kenny added extra percussions during “Suddenly I see” using a metal dustbin cover.
- KT raised Kenny’s kilt with her shoe when he came down to join her on stage.
- KT had 2 beautiful backup singers. The rest of the band filled in as well.

Random quotes:

- “1 in 10 of all the people who have ever lived are alive today.”
- “Plastic surgery should be funnier - "Doctor, I want...A GIANT HAND! Someone's going to remember you much better if you had one really long leg, rather than boobs or something."
- “You should love somebody local.”
- “Because all food has loads of preservatives in them now, we’re not decaying anymore!”
- ‘It’s sooooo hot here! And it’s like this all year round!”
- "You all should go to Britain and give audience lessons! You're just great!"

SET LIST
Little Favours
Miniature Disasters
Other Side Of The World
Hold On
White Bird
Funny Man
Black Horse And The Cherry Tree
Paper Aeroplane
Hopeless
Under The Weather
Someday Soon
Another Place To Fall
If Only
Saving My Face
Suddenly I See

Encore:
Universe And U
Stoppin' The Love
Walk Like An Egyptian
I Don’t Want You Now

Disclaimer : The author cannot write for nuts and this is his 1st time writing a concert review. He is better at handling cameras then writing so please go easy on him. Hate/Love mail can be sent to aloysiuslim79[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]sg

More photos in the gallery.

Last edited:
KT was great but better could be done for the sound. Not sure whether it was the acoustics of the venue itself or the mixing, but I was cringing everytime the drummer reached for the crash.

For sure, entertainment wise, it was superb, you could see that KT and her backing band were all enjoying themselves tremendously. Whole lot of audience interaction and the music itself was captivating, the crowd really got into it during the faster rocking songs like Suddenly I See, Funnyman and Little Favours and there was a sort of mesmerised silence during the toned down acoustic segments of the song such as during Universe and U.

All in all, it was a fine performance :D

=mero

I felt that the acoustics weren't so bad. It was much better then the last time I saw a concert at Suntec.

A fine performance indeed. :) The audience interaction was just great. Not many performers do really interact with the audience.

Latest posts

Back