News on major label in singapore

yeah i agree. it's bad if major labels leave singapore.
then it defeats the purpose of singapore trying to be an art hub.. grooming talents and all.
perhaps they should ban china imported CDs. XD

"I'm telling you, I'm generally collecting less than S$2,000 a month from downloads from Soundbuzz," says Mr See. Soundbuzz is a major digital music vendor in Asia, Australia.

but in another report

Local digital music provider Soundbuzz Media says its recent online sales of music downloads have skyrocketed, prompting industry players to believe more Singaporeans are now downloading music legally.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/249189/1/.html

Finally.......

The END of the local Music Scene..it has arrived..good..better earlier then later.Now we can all sit down and look back. ha ha ha

haha... we all know major like to play with their figures... :) anyway, if the profit is not great for them to stay on... they might just close the office here and put their focus elsewhere. :(
I think if it was me, i'll just shift my office to china and print all my cd there then export it to singapore which at least you got more sales... :p business senses lah... :p

BiasJames said:
Finally.......

The END of the local Music Scene..it has arrived..good..better earlier then later.Now we can all sit down and look back. ha ha ha

You mean the end of the -foreign- music scene.

In any case it's a big issue that our government has to bear responsibility for its actions. Things like selling parallel imports of Mentos sweets - profits the supermarts greatly but not the consumer - Mentos at many places are still selling at the same price before Mentos placed trade restrictions on its products.

Something's got to give.

yup, developing local talent is great but can our local talent earn enough to buy a HDB flats in singapore if they do it full time? i mean i really like to know did anyone in this forums earn from their album sales? anyone willing to fully concerate in music, recording and promoting their stuff LOCALLY? giving up ur full time jobs just for passion... i'm not too sure how many ppl in singapore can do it... for me, i can't... what i can do is only work full time and hope that i can support the sense by using my extra time. :) to not have Major means not have any talent in singapore going to the international stages, which means no tanya chua or stephaine sun. :) just my point of views on the Major labels that is in singapore lah... :)

BiasJames said:
Finally.......

It's like that Hokkien classic 'Ai Biah Ai Jia Eh Nyah"

"Ooh si ki, ar ooh si loh..." Hurhurhur ~

sah hoon teeh zhu dia...qit hoon ko pah biah... AI BIAH AH JIA EH NYAH!

that one will affect the chinese cd market la... since most of the cds that are china imported are chinese cds... hope the ang moh cds not affected... otherwise torrent rates will shoot!

That will highlight the possibility of a rise in independent labels here in Singapore... like the US. States had already gone through the fight with major labels and results in the establishing of individual label to market their own music.

Singapore's scene could be in the start of this "war"

i don't wanna post useless arguments n debates here , so anyway, i don't really see major labels supporting local music, just a few pop artists here n there. so i dont see the difference with or without one, unless they gonna start signing bands under their wing, or individuals with instrumental albums :lol:

wooit...

why not make an idea of making a local record company producing talents here...??

Business idea babe....

just dunt think about the global market yet...
I think more than 85% of sg people dont even know the local talents we have here...

yellowStrat said:
why not make an idea of making a local record company producing talents here...??

Business idea babe....

just dunt think about the global market yet...
I think more than 85% of sg people dont even know the local talents we have here...

Gotch awreddy what...

soft said:
yellowStrat, you start, we support you.

Hurhurhur ~

I feel it doesn't matter if "local" sales are down. IMHO the music industry today is an international business. A band or artist that wants to succeed financially cannot market and distribute solely to a local market, unless that market has a large domestic population e.g. USA. Fortunately with digital distribution, there is no reason to remain a solely domestic band/artist. So long as the music is good enough, the artist/band is willing to do the work, and the marketing is done smart.

Back