Newbie wants to learn guitar

NovicePing

Hi,
I'm a newbie wants to learn how to play guitar. I've just borrowed an old Yamaha acoustic guitar G-225 from my bro. It has been around for 20 yrs. May I know if it still can be used? Just by replacing wiith new strings? Or do I've have to get a new guitar for learning as hobby.

BTW, i'm planning to learn from school..haven't decide on which one yet due to schedule.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
If the neck is playable, the body/hardware not falling apart, go right ahead and change those strings and you'll be fine :) Do get someone more experienced to change the strings for you and to tune it up. Get him to teach you basic tuning while he's at it haha. Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar!

That look totally playable. Guitars generally get better with age, and yamaha are well made instruments. Take it to any guitar shop they will often change the strings for you if they are not busy. As it's old and probably unused, buy some guitar polish and give it a good clean with the old strings taken out.

Thanks DeninKL and Vax... I just bought D'addario classic nylon strings and a tiny fender chromatic clip tuner. I'm trying to fix it myself... Anyhow when I join a guitar class , the teacher can help me to fine tune it. Went to Yamaha, they don't have such service unless you are their students.
However, I want to play English and mandarin pop songs...not sure which one to enroll with my classical guitar... An acoustic pop guitar class or Yamaha classical guitar class?

Thanks DeninKL and Vax... I just bought D'addario classic nylon strings and a tiny fender chromatic clip tuner. I'm trying to fix it myself... Anyhow when I join a guitar class , the teacher can help me to fine tune it. Went to Yamaha, they don't have such service unless you are their students.
However, I want to play English and mandarin pop songs...not sure which one to enroll with my classical guitar... An acoustic pop guitar class or Yamaha classical guitar class?

Hey man, definitely join the acoustic pop guitar class because with what you mentioned, the Yamaha classical guitar class is the last thing you will want to join (ok maybe not last thing...)

just in case you didnt know doesnt mean you have a classical nylon strung guitar means its only for classical songs "acoustic" and "classical" in the classes context really means 'contemporary pop music" vs "classical music"
and it doesnt matter if you have a steel string or a nylon string for pop but nylon string is a must for classical....

Looking at the specs, it sounds like a good buy! Now it's a matter of how well the previous owner has set it up (how playable is it, how high is the action, any fretting issues), and how well it holds up when you actually play it.

My problem with cheap guitars is that the components like the tuning pegs are too low quality to be practical. Try strumming it when it's in tune and see how long you can play it before it goes out of tune. For cheap guitars, it can be as quick as one hard strum!

Looking at the specs, it sounds like a good buy! Now it's a matter of how well the previous owner has set it up (how playable is it, how high is the action, any fretting issues), and how well it holds up when you actually play it.
For this, I wouldn't be able to know coz I'm totally new with guitar! :-( no way to check it myself so only way is to buy new ones I think!

My problem with cheap guitars is that the components like the tuning pegs are too low quality to be practical. Try strumming it when it's in tune and see how long you can play it before it goes out of tune. For cheap guitars, it can be as quick as one hard strum!

I'm considering korean Swing SM-100 within $200 or local Maestro within $300 ... Heading Hongkong on 6th Nov, wonder if there is better price but quality guitar out there! Not sure which brand to go for.. I prefer those with rich tones than high treble pitch type.

So tempting... The year end sale is here and I tried crafter guitar...it sounds really good. maestro on my list too but wondering should I get it now or next year??

On the other hand, I got a Greg Bennett 3/4 acoustic steel string guitar from an old friend who hasn't been playing for a few years. It has mold in the guitar and I clean that up using ACV mist then dry naturally under indirect sun. Bought guitar polish, polished them & changed the strings as well. Now, the 3rd(G) open string vibrates a lot... I play C chord then to G7 chord it keeps irritably vibrates long.. Until I pressed Am chord that touches that string.
That's my first doing all this alone. This is not what I want but no harm trying out for a beginner.(Although I did bleed while poked by when doing the insertion.)
Also Had a struggle trying to play A chord in this 3/4 sized guitar...I guess I have big fingers compared to my friend's child like hands. ;) didn't get that feel I want coz all along I wanted a dreadnought guitar. I love good bass & bright tone... Dislike too sharp pitch that sounds piercing.

Should I bring my friend's acoustic guitar for a proper intonation, buy an acoustic guitar on SALE now or next year until I'm more capable to play better? Which is more sensible? Haiz.....

Last edited:
So tempting... The year end sale is here and I tried crafter guitar...it sounds really good. maestro on my list too but wondering should I get it now or next year??

Should I bring my friend's acoustic guitar for a proper intonation, buy an acoustic guitar on SALE now or next year until I'm more capable to play better? Which is more sensible? Haiz.....

Get whatever feels most comfortable for your playing style. Sounds like the 3/4 guitar you've got isn't making the cut. I wouldn't send it for any servicing as the costs may outweigh the perceived benefits. Think the Crafter on sale may be just what you are looking for. The most important thing is that it must feel good in YOUR hands, and sound good to YOUR ears.

Wouldn't worry too much about skill-level, or capability at this stage if I were you. With the right guitar, all that will come eventually with practice. Afflicting yourself with a sub-standard guitar just because you feel "unworthy" of a better one may put you off mastering the instrument entirely! On the other hand, get one that you'd love to pick up and play at every opportunity, and it will motivate you to practice and improve. IMHO, that's enough to justify the extra cost.

Thanks Osiris... thanks for yr motivating words of wisdom. You are right that i shouldn't service a guitar I dont even feel right abt. just follow my gut feelings which would be the right choice! ;-) Now, really wanted to hand on a acoustic guitar right away... but I think sale is over :( waiting again ...

Last edited:
Back