New Portishead album

phoenix

... simply titled "3", anyone heard their previews or got it thru alternative means? Its a weirder, darker Portishead than the one we last heard 11 years ago (that long?!). Beth Gibbons' voice sounds eerily beautiful and the discordant electronics sounds so industrial-ish! I didn't get it on 1st listen but you just feel that there's something clever about it so you have a 2nd go and before you know it its the 50th time and you've just peeled back only the first few layers of the album and there's lots more sinister nightmares to unravel. Somehow, it reminds me of Bjork's avant-gardism music but without the joy and happpiness, perhaps to mirror the UK grey weather, haha.... Thanks for reading.......

Isn't it called Third? Anyway I gave it a listen a couple of weeks ago, and it seems there's more focus on the production this time around. It also seems a little different, the lo-fi aspect of their earlier recordings wasn't really there. Anyway Beth Gibbons is still Beth Gibbons and I'll definitely give it a few more listens before making up my mind.

I'm still trying to absorb the new album. Damn weird.

I heard the Obs gg thru a new direction change recently. I is <3 them!!!

Check them out on youtube and wiki after reading this thread...
and i like them....

I listened to machine gun for the first time and i loved it!:D
any other great song by them that could be recommended?

Roads is my favorite Portishead song. Glorybox, Numb, All Mine, Undenied, Pedestal, Sour, Mysterons are all good tracks. You've probably heard Glorybox on numerous tv commercials.

Check out their albums - Dummy then Portishead, and follow up with their live album if you decide you like them enough. Portishead + full orchestra = aural bliss

My god! I was not aware they released a new album...
Been waiting for ages! Got to make a trip to Gramaphone tmrw!
Check out their live DVD too, if you can still find them...

quite awesome stuff, also reminds me of The Observatory's kinda instrument layout.

I agree to a certain extent! The 1st time i listened to their 1st album when it came out...
I mentioned to Vivian they reminded me of Portishead, and she said "thanks..."

echoist, the album should be out next week... Not so soon.

For me, the live album was the best... *emo moment on*

Used to be into Portishead when I was back in poly... Great to hear from them again after so long...

I then discovered The Gathering right after that and somehow I always likened these two bands to be similar somehow...

Don't know y but thats just me though....

Portishead and Massive Attack are the godparents of that whole trip-hop, smokin' electronica-jazz sound...........Dummy and Protection were both released in 1994 and till today the influence is all over the stuff we hear on Lush 99.5 etc etc etc as well as in so many other bands, even The Observatory, Radiohead.............

Dj Shadow's Endtroducing is also hugely influential on trip-hop in general, even though he wasn't part of the Bristol sound. Other favorite trip-hop acts are Cut Chemist, Dj Krush and Thievery Corporation.

echoist, the album should be out next week... Not so soon.

For me, the live album was the best... *emo moment on*

Ohh my... Good i didn't drop-by Gramaphone tday! (Cook nasi lemak for wife n daughter! Love them more than Beth! Hahahahhha... ;)) I'll call my "kawan" 1st before i visit them, don't want to waste a trip, and start buying a whole bunch of CDs (those very early Rising Force are calling my name!) There's an article on the album in Life today! (Portishead, not Yngwie's...)

I love the Roseland live album too! (and the studio ones as well!). When i saw the DVD for the time later, i was amazed at the "old-full-of-knobs" equiptmnt they used (vintage/hard-to-get some ppl say :lol:) , thinking it was samplers all the while. Even the ghostly/pontianak sounds in the beginning of Humming, the guy was twiddling "a knob". :D

"Trip-Hop" was a term most of "those" bands/performers hate to be labeled with. Ok, i read/saw that statement ages ago in NME or SPIN or something... :mrgreen:

every musician hates to be 'labeled' or 'pigeonholed'. it's all part of trying to look edgy and important teehee

hello all

i just downloaded Third and coincidentally came across this thread. Thought i'd share my 2 cents

its considerably more lo-fi than anything they've ever done. the production is harsh and grainy with little of the Roy Budd noirish sheen associated with them. the production has an aesthetic that reminds me of 60's baroque pop like Scott Walker or Lee Hazlewood.

the music itself is a departure from "trip-hop" (a ridiculous term if ever there was one). there is little or no sampling and there is not a turntable in sight. Hip-hop takes a back seat to a considerably more eclectic sonic palette. Previous influences such as The Pharcyde and Pete Rock are not found here.

60's psych-rock duo The Silver Apples is a very obvious if not surprising influence, especially on 'We Carry On' with its marshal beat and oscillators. As a long-time fan of the Apples, the last place I'd expect to hear them was on a Portishead album. A pleasant surprise

The motorik structures are straight out of early krautrock like Faust and Can (especially the latter). Lead track 'Machine Gun' with its jackboot groove bring to mind early Bauhaus or a harsher New Order. Some of the guitar aesthetics remind me of drone metal acts like Sunn O))) and Om. Overall, vintage synths dominate.

there is a some resemblance to their previous work thanks to the use of the theremin and John Barry/Ennio Morricone overtones. 'Magic Doors' and 'Threads' are reminiscent of the darker moments of the second record. Those expecting the easy-listening pop of Dummy may not find much to like.

Opener 'Silence' is stunning with its sinister breakbeat and jarring strings. The Portuguese intro is a nice touch. 'The Rip' is my pick for a standout track. A Scott Walker torch song which switches gear halfway to reveal a driving synth groove.

Those expecting the old sound will find a few things to like. Those expecting a change will find it. And this is perhaps what is most amazing about Third - the fact that they can balance the two aspects.

cheers

Last edited:
^^ great review man, but I gotta say that's a boatload of name drops in only so many words. pitchfork would be shamed :D
I agree with a bit of the krautrock vibe. I think the best and worst thing about the album so far is that each track is different and unique in their own rights, whether it be in production or themes. It takes a few listens to gather in all of that.

also if anyone's really bored here's a really long informative review that I don't think anyone sane will bother to read:

Light in the west | Rock | guardian.co.uk Music

hello dir

apologies for the shameless namedropping. im not too good at describing music. the only way i know how to describe music is by reference to other music, hopefully someone knows that artiste/album and can get some idea of what i mean.

when i read most music reviews, i cant make sense of the review unless the writer compares/differentiates the album with other artistes.

that's why i can never understand a word of pitchfork reviews (but they have the latest news). usually i just wanna know 1) what do they sound like and 2) the production. pitchfork/rollingstone/mojo/whatever rarely explain either.

nowadays, there are so many genres and subgenres that i cant make sense of them anymore. saying something sounds like "punk" can mean so many things.

when asked "how does this band sound like?" i usually just rattle off some artistes that they remind me off. i'll never be a music reviewer lah

cheers

Last edited:
Great namedropping P.O.M, I just had to check out all those bands you mentioned cos don't think i've heard some of them before. This thread is coming out great, discussing experimental off-the-radar music........

Back