New bassist

RussGlenn

hey guys i;m a rather new bassist. i;m like self teaching myself the bass.
any tips or anything?
starts lick or songs i should learn to start out? i already learnt how to play "time is running out" and "Supermassive blackholes" by muse any fun bass leads songs to intro?

hope you guys can help me out. i;m really loving the bass! hope to hear for u guys soon.

You seem to like Muse a whole lot, haha. Try learning Hysteria or anything in the Absolution album. Note that Christopher from Muse uses a truckload of effects, and they're near impossible to replicate :/

Well, I'm still very new to the bass, but I started off learning how to play songs like Cake's I Will Survive, Stone Temple Pilot's Plush, The Wonder's That Thing You Do, which laid down the foundation for some fundamental technique stuff like finger dexterity, playing over chords, running bass lines, etc.

Now I'm trying to move on to stuff from RATM and RHCP(slap stuff), and this really awesome band called Corduroy(acid jazz).

I'd like to think that you shouldn't go into bass thinking of mastering songs, but rather, the theories and techniques behind the song. This way, after a little practice, you could attack any song and pick it up quite easily.

i just bought a book called 'first bass' recommended to me by a seasoned and respected local bassist

important to play out of your comfort zone. you dont need to learn purely techniques to improve (to a certain extent), and if you keep playing stuff that is more difficult or of different styles to what you usually play you're bound to pick sth up :)

self-taught would be of great advantage and understanding the bass to a whole new level.

try by reading tabs for a start, it's very easy for sure, and of course get yourself a decent tuner and a mechronome.

and then you can slowly learn more complicated stuffs as you get along...

along the way, of course you will learn new stuffseveryday and also, you might even create riffs of your own !.

most important thing is do what you love, don't force yourself if you can't do that particular thing, leave it to rest and try again the next day.

do not jumpstart to scales and all that stuffs. just do simply grooves and what not, cover your fav band. MUSE !

Hey man, go down to Swee Lee's bookshop (forgot the shop name, but it's inside Swee Lee). Look for a book titled "The Total Jazz Bassist". Alright, the title says jazz, but seriously, the theory covered inside is for every bassist to know. You'll learn to utilize major and minor scales, modes, perform solos, play in time, etc. It's all stuff that many rock and pop bassists can use to enhance their playing.

hey diskolama

if u can play the chord prog to i will survive, its the same as fly me to the moon, so can michael buble your way thru.

Back