Need some opinion- HS50M

eugen3

Hey, anybody has any experience with this? any comments?
looking for a 600-ish pair of monitors for checking mixes.

Thanks!

I have a pair of HS80s and I find that they just barely have sufficient low-end response to hear what the bassist is doing. Have not tried the HS50s but i think they may be a little wanting in that area without a sub.

I am one of those NS10m user. I wanted something that is as close to NS10m as possible, but with extended bass response. And just right HS80m just came out and I tot it was the best choice for me. Alot of people in various forum claimed that HS-series don't sound like NS10m at all. However, I think they do have an identical sound. The trick is that, NS10m is famous not for being flat response, but for it's 2KHz hump that reveals all the typical problems in a mix and the HS-series have included a 2KHz boost/cut control at the back of the monitor. With that switch to boost, they do sounds like NS10m. BUT one must also take note that the HS-series have an extended bass and highs response than NS-10m, hence, this is also the reason why people argue that they are not alike. Other than that, one must also take note that HS-series is bass-reflex design, which contribute to it's extended low-end but this kind of design tends to cut off at a very steep slope, and thus, it sounds harsher. Whereas NS10m is a close-enclosure design where it can't produce alot of low-end, but it cut off at a smoother slope which is why NS10m will sound smoother than HS-series. Furthermore, NS10m is a passive monitor where it require a 3rd party amp to drive it. This will contribute to some colouration to the sound. HS-series is active, which means the built-in amp is specially designed to go with the driver, and this minimise unwanted colouration.

Conclusion, IMO with the 2kHz boost at the back panel, my HS-80m is now a NS10m with extended frequency response. And anything that I mix on these system, it translate very well to other systems, which is once again what the Yammies are famous for. I'm upgrading them to 5.1 system soon. If you are looking for nice-sounding monitors, then Yammies might not be for you. Coz the Yammies are also famous for ugly sound. But once you get used listening to it, you will understand why they are so widely-used around the world.

My suggestion is that, since you have your budget set, grab your favourite record, go ahead to diff retailers to test for the best pair that your ears like. Have fun and do update us which pairs you buy eventually. Cheers!!

P.S. pls also rem that the placement, as well as your room acoustic will all affects the sound.

Last edited:
I agree with sj2six, I also love the NS10s sound and it is something you do either love or you hate. sj2six has pretty much covered what I wanted to say but I just wanna add that one benefit of the HS series is the paper cones. The sound that is similar with the NS10 is partly because of this but even then Yamaha have changed the design of the paper cone, but what you get is the tone in the 'same ballpark' as the NS10s. What is different is like sj2six said the ported design hence more bottom. To cut a long story short there are certain frequencies that only paper can reproduce accurately so if you need to get that NS10 vibe then the HS range will probably do it for you.

Though I don't own it, I personally love the HS series monitors, The few times that I used it, I can quickly identify a lot of things that are wrong with the mix that I couldn't with other monitors.

Don't mind if I hijack this thread by asking: Anyone has any thoughts about the MSP studio series?

Back