Need recommendation for rackmount compressor

Mukaiya

I'm looking for a rackmount compressor (preferably 1-U height) as part of my bass rig. Need recommendations. No stomp box type please.

Mukaiya

Any kind should just do their job of reducing dynamic range w/o coloring uniike most of the pedal kind.
You can try the tube compressors if you're into the warmth tone.
Most compressors come in stereo(2 channels) though.

Brands Like Alesis, Presonus, DBX. BBE Sound, Aphex Systems, Art, etc.
Go browse their compressor products.Don't rush into buying one.
Take your time choosing one good one.
Or you can PM Ovid for more details since he seems to know more about sound...

Compressors

Hi Mukaiya,

Regarding the rackmount compressors, I've used a few of them: Alesis 3630, Focusrite Penta, DBX 166XL and TC Electronics Triple-C. My favourite is definitely the Triple C, because of the multi band compression that I find very useful. Often, I find that my preference is to set higher compression rating for the higher frequencies as compared to the lows (because of my poor technique.. ;-). However, most of these items have been discontinued.

Currently, TC Electronics has one model called the DBMax which is an improvement of the Triple C. It offers a 5 band multiband compression and a much friendlier interface which I think is great!

Drawmer also makes really great compressors, and the most impressive multiband IMHO, is the S3. But it might be rather costly and takes up 3U! A more suitable alternative is the Drawmer DL 251. I like the "enhance" control, where it is able to compensate for the loss of highs during the compression stage.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

2.f.f.

DBX has this reputation for their compressors ... Luther brings some of them in i believe .. you may wanna check it out .. =)

Back