Need help with Dm11/Bb chord

Kinokunya

As stated above, can anyone tell me the fingering for chord Dm11/Bb?
Tried googling but I couldn't get the chord shape off the net. Thank you!

You can break it down to the notes of the chord.

Dm7 is D, A, C, F.

Add a 11th, G.

Bb on the bass.

You can think of it as a Bbmaj13? I think thats what it's called.

-3- -3- -10-
-3- -6- -8-
-2- -5- -10-
-3- -3- -8-
-1- -x- ---
--- -6- ---

Guys I'm not that great at music theory. only had a hand full of jazz lessons! Do correct me please!

I think it's better to call it a Bbmaj13, with the Bb on the bottom it's too happy sounding to me to call it a Dm... but then again, tomato, tomahto....

Hi pal,

I shall attempt to help. Hope i can pull it off.

Please allow me to elaborate more than just list out the chord positions.
Basically Dm chord is made up of D, F & A note.
"D' being the root note of the chord, 'F' the minor 3rd note reference fm the root, n 'A' the 5th note or perfect 5th reference fm the root.
So long u have these notes involve simultaneously or breaking it up (apeggio), Dm chord is formed.

Dm11 involve more than just root, 3rd n 5th.
There are the 7th, 9th n then of cos the 11th notes (namely the 'C', 'E' & 'G' notes).
But usually player seldom play all these notes (D, F, A, C, E, G) simultaneously. U can, but it sounds too "thick" n crowded n loses definition n character in the chord voicing. If u really wana do that, some chord notes are better to use a different octave. But some voicing options are easier to achieve by the keyboardist than for guitarist.

U may choose certain key notes as ur choiced voicing that u wana highlight or harmonize or support the melody or other instruments.
In ur case, Dm11/Bb chord, it suggest that the bass or lowest sounding note is Bb.

If u've a keyboardist or bassist, u can let them handle the bass note (the Bb note in this case) while u just focus on playing the Dm11 chord.

Here are some chord positions u can try:
Without Bb bass note (just the Dm11 chord) -
X53553 (1st finger barre across 3rd fret)
or
XX0553
or
XX0988

With Bb bass note (Dm11/Bb) -
X10213
or
X13213 (some stretching on fingers required, 1st finger barre across 1st fret)
or
6XX788
or
655565 (1st finger barre across 6th fret)
or
XX8788

Er.. confuse? :confused:
I think it depends u r playing solo or in a band n the type of genre. It'll also be too messy holding all these notes n strum in rock style with distortion effects.

Cheers!
PFA

Thanks Breen & prefaderaux for the informative replies. I will try and see which one works for my case. The Dm11/Bb was from an intro tab for a chinese-pop song 画沙.

Style would be fingerplucking I guess.
Thanks heaps!

Back