Need help on the famous Carter Beauford Fill

davemakesway

Hey,

I have always wanted to play that Carter Beauford fill-his famous, single stroke fill that has been used at the end of Ants Marching,parts of Crush,his famous solo,and in lots of other songs.

If you know the fill I'm talking about, thats great!What I want to know is the notations,sticking, and the notes in which he places the accent.Does he start with his left or the right hand?

After watching Under the Table and Drumming, I still haven't been able to figure out this great fill. If you know it, thats great!

i dunno wat is the name of the dvd, but it is about carter beautford teaching drums. it is good. i like the song too much, whn dave mathews started talking nonsence in the song, "i'm gonna eat your children and your home", and the "suck it up" parts.

That video is most likely Under the Table and Drumming.

Anyway, davemakesway, I don't remember any notable single strokes fill in those songs you've mentioned. More details? Like on the toms? Hihats? etc etc?

songs

Ok, for instance, at the end of Ants Marching, he incorporates the tom,snare, and cymbal together-making a vibrant,offbeat combination(hope you know what I'm talking about).Additionally,he does this fill often,starting with the snare, and the descending toms.If you were to go to drummerworld.com, and listen to his solo, you will hear it that...It sounds "triplety", when it really isn't.

Get what I'm saying? :?

I don't see any solos from Carter on drummerworld? Is it the Ants Marching video? Maybe you can give me the exact spot on the timeline eh.

Anyway, I've listened to both the Remember Two Things and Under the Table and Dreaming versions of Ants Marching... and well, is it the slow fill from the snare to the toms, with a RLR LRL sticking pattern? Or is it the one after the sax solo?

Because when you mentioned "tripletty" feel but not exactly "triplets", I immediately think of a syncopated RLRL sticking except with accents on every 3s.

But anyway, Beauford is a GREAT drummer, it's worth the time and effort studying his stuff. :wink: Good taste.

Hey, its the one right after the sax solo...

He uses this fill a lot in his Crush solo...

additionally, the solo on drummerworld is in Mp3 format.

If you're talking about say, the outro in Crush before the flute enters, yes, those are 8th notes triplets on the snare then on the toms. But other than that, I can't seem to identify any "triplety" triplets. Beauford does a lot of triplet patterns around the kit, like in Tripping Billies.

But anyway, are you sure they aren't just RLR triplets?

More on the fill.

Umm,ok,the fill is used specifically in the version of Two Step at the Central Park Concert.

When the song reaches the climax, the whole band goes "crazy", while Carter executes a sort of continuous, snare roll on the snare.

Do you get what i mean?

Back