Neck Maintenance

papmech

I've read in places on the internet that you can sand or wax the back of the neck to make it smoother, and hence faster. Has anyone done this before?

If so, what kind of sandpaper (what grit) or what kind of wax and what methods did you use to accomplish this?

let a luthier do it unless you dont mind risking your bass :p I would never do on my own anymore. last time I tried doing stuff on my bass (I took out the frets ala jaco and sanded the whole body to expose the inner wood). it destroyed my bass beyond repair lol. well not really beyond repair but too expensive to repair. hehe

neck feel is an enhancement of one's capacity. if you can't do it in the first place, no amount of waxing & sanding would bring you up to standard :cool: why not get a feel of a bass which already has a feature you wish to acquire instead of doing it to your own bass?

dun think u can find that at local stores right?

howard's feed n wax works for my wick, but at read from the forums if the wax residue is too much, use those scotts green pad to scrub off the wax gently b4 re-applying.

dun think u can find that at local stores right?

howard's feed n wax works for my wick, but at read from the forums if the wax residue is too much, use those scotts green pad to scrub off the wax gently b4 re-applying.
Where can you buy that "howard's feed n wax" in Singapore?

Lordie, we used to call you Andy LaRocque back in TNT days;)

Good to see you're still making music brutha.

I've done it for all my basses with glossy necks. I use 400-grit to take the gloss off and 1000 to smooth it out. I don't take off the entire finish. Takes an hour or so. Never used wax... that's probably more useful for open-pore necks like those on Warwicks.

Last edited:
I've done it for all my basses with glossy necks, I use 400-grit to take the gloss off and 1000 to smooth it out. I don't take off the entire finish. Takes an hour or so. Never used wax... that's probably more useful for open-pore necks like those on Warwicks.
My bass has a black finish / coating on it. If I sand it down with those grit sandpaper that you mentioned, the black part will come out and expose the wood?

Are you referring to the neck or body? Glossy bodies are usually poly finished and will take more than just sanding down to expose the wood.

Latest posts

Back