necessary to buy an amp?

bladeraver

hi.. my first thread and post..

i was wondering is it really necessary to buy an amp to play the electric guitar? are there other alternatives?

and if i just play an electric guitar by itself, will it sound similar to an acoustic guitar?

pls comment.. thanks in advance.. =D

No matter what, an electric guitar can never produce the same sound as an acoustic guitar. The Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal does come pretty close. An amplifier is very commonly used, since you can easily get a decent 10-watt practise amp for below $100.

But the other alternatives would be to get a multi-effects processor and plug into your computer and play. The MFX-computer cable you might have to get separately, though.

I suggest you get a practice amplifier. Go to the buy/sell section for amplifiers, should be able to get one below $100.

An unplugged electric guitar sounds very different from an acoustic guitar. Totally different resonant and tone. Playing an electric guitar unplugged and playing it through an amp is also very different.

I belive that the consensus is to purchase a cheap practice amp for your electric. There is no question in its usefulness.

I used to play my guitar on my dad's hifi many years ago when I was still in school. Just plug in and play but tone isnt that nice but you will get sound from it. Once I started working, I got myself an amp. Sounds totally different. You will have EQ controls, reverb and even two channels o nsome amp. You can get an budget amp first and upgrade along the way.

Last edited:
Just get a good multi-fx or preamp like the ME-50 or POd xt live, then play through your computer speakers or hifi set at home. The me50 and podxt both have botton mid and treble controls much alike amps so you do not have to worry tone-wise. get a 3.5mm to 5mm converter so that you can play through speakers/headphones.

Back