My New Year Drum Shopping Spree in KL!!!

shred5

it was an ultra long superb weekend for me as I head up to KL for a long deserving holiday. Just a simple holiday (my thoughts exactly) but I enter the familiar sight of Bentley Music, i Head straight up to the 2nd Level for the drums section.

My jaws dropped when I saw snares thats too nice to describe. At the end of the day I'm RM1200 poorer and there goes my budget for the holiday.

Just a sneak peak of what I got.

1) A snare!!!
2) Pearl BCA-1 Belt to Chain Converter (My Pearl Elims are now so-called 90% complete)
3) 14" Remo Emperor X skin (IMO the perfect skin for my newly purchase snare)

Sneakpeak1.jpg

Its a Pearl Snare!! My 2nd one!!
pearlshowcase.jpg

The interior pics of the snare. (6 ply maple!!!)
interior1.jpg

And Finally, The BEAST!!! A Pearl Vinnie Paul Signature Series VP1480
(14 x 8)

snare.jpg

I had to literally carry this beast across the Causeway as it was badly congested with vehicles. Imagine carrying 5kg for 1.6km plus the stairs to the arrival hall just now at 2115hrs. Not a good exercise for the faint hearted.

There was a Bentley Year End Sale at 30% off for most products and it was a mad rush at Bentley.

Snares that I saw at Bentley

Tama:

John Tempesta (Stealth) Signature series: $RM2300
David Silveira (Kind of similar to the G-Maple)Signature Series : $RM3000

Pearl:

Free Floater Series
Maple Shell 14x5 : $RM1350
Free Floater Picollo Steel and Copper Shells (14 x 3): $RM1150
Tico Torres Signature Series (Its a free floater with an aluminium shell) :$RM1600

and many many more.

ENJOY!!!

wow.. the shell... crazy man.... crazy..
imagine how many snakes are killed in the process of making that snare!!
hahahahah....
must report to PETA....

but then again!!! DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
dats nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RM$1050 is the retail price. No discount or whatsoever. Even though they're having a 30% sale, the snare is not part of the sale items.

I use Remo Emperor X mainly bcos its a 2 ply skin that's durable and very versatile. Most of the music i'm playing requires high volume with a lot of crack and the Emperor X has the cutting through the din of noise.

Initially I wanted to get the Remo Powerstroke 3 but its out of stock.

bros.....
i've tried his snare... and damn......
the sound is... fuhh hyoohh....... i dont know how to describe...
but it really gives the gunshot type of sound

i have one emp x too tried it on my steel tama snare sounds like shit. or maybe i dunno how to tune.

Bro, how cranked is it?

I tried one once, only sounds good between tight - super tight, simply because it's so thick. What reso do you have on?

by trying on the emp'x head i destroyed my stock reso.

right now its changed to remo weatherking diplomat reso.
batter is still stock.

my snare is the steel ones that come with stagestars.

PS: the shira kashi rocks. now i wish they had wood tips.

I use a drum dial and tune it to 90 as a reference. After that its micro tuning to my desired sound.

The emperor X head is good for loud music and for cutting through.

Its advisable to tune it quite tight but not till it choke. Not as tight as a Marching snare tuning standard but around there.

I've just changed the snare wires to Puresound Metrix 30 strand wires for better sensitivity and articulation.

And Gambatak,

Its unwise to fault the batter head when your reso head is damaged. Try tuning your reso abt one fifth lower than the Batter.

by trying on the emp'x head i destroyed my stock reso.
right now its changed to remo weatherking diplomat reso.
batter is still stock.
I see... You can try it rather tight, it worked for me. I had to hit it rather hard though for it to sound good though, played at lower volumes, it was so thick it wouldn't even activate the snares! Since this is on my home prac kit, I eventually traded that head with a friend for a coated ambassador.

PS: the shira kashi rocks. now i wish they had wood tips.
Me too. The thing is, the store in US had limited stock of, about 12 pairs of wood tips. My friend told me there was this bugger who bought all, leaving only the nylons. Luckily my friend managed to get those at least.

excellent. i get wad u mean guys. by saying id estroyed my reso heads acutally was a godo thing cos the stock ones ah, u open it up once, cannot put back properly alr sigh.

thanks anyway

Back