My electric guitar is complaining about the music of the pre

parablue74

I believe the present music trend has disrespected the electric guitar. Guitar gods of the 70´s ,80´s and early 90´s are no more seen and heard. All that has been crumbled by alternative groups like Cranberries and Oasis, who warped everything a solo could give. Who plays sweeping like Malmsteen anymore, or spider tapping like Van Halen, or screeching harmonics like Steve Vai? The pop commercial market that companies hold most prime to $ has given in to the sin of conquering every other genres, leaving famous and well-trained guitarist down to the depressive pool of unusefulness and waste. Is there anymore hope, has $ really won over love?

My guitar is crying out loud for a REVOLUTION that will mark "The good swordsman holding the good sword and not the weak puppets jumping the gun"
icon_evil.gif

http://www.mp3.com.au/parablue

<font size=-1>[ Edited by parablue74 On Date _MONTHDATETIME ]</font>

there are many ways to play the guitar. some do solos, others simply sling one & sing...
icon_eek.gif

the current pool of players are still on the no-solo turf, one of the reasons being, they can´t do solos- they aren´t competent enough. the breed of players who strive to perfect their guitar craft is a rare breed.

i´m still into the shred era of players though...
icon_cool.gif

well i understand wat u mean, people like vai, satriani and paul gilbert and malmsteen really superb technically and musically, i personally like them, but sometimes there are other aspects to music which are important. good lyrics is as good as a kick ass solo!! or perhaps creating a wall of sounds like my bloody valentine and the smashing pumpkins is not easy either.

basically, there aren´t thinking guitarists a plenty these days. yes, solos are potent, so is the wall of sound- these are thinking aspects of guitar playing, which aren´t manifested by today´s players.

the ´80s isn´t about all out shred. while this takes the forefront, Police´s Andy Summers, U2´s Edge & Level 42´s Alan Murphy are examples of guitar intellects crafting their wares with precision & taste.
icon_cool.gif

<font size=-1>[ Edited by subversion On Date _MONTHDATETIME ]</font>

Well, yea, the music nowadays aint as good as during the days when my dad was young. But there r some recent bands that aint that lousy. Red Hot Chili Pepper is one example. Rage Against The Machines is super cool.
Their guitarist, tom morello, can make turn-table sounds, siren sounds with his electric guitar. Amazing man. =D my second post here, the 1st went missing....dammit.

imho, RHCP have really toned down a lot from the early beginning and the music direction in the last few album seem rather poppy. If really compared the music available in mainstream nowadays, there is nothing much exciting other than some of the bands. Look to the independent released or underground music scene might help discover some good stuff that might not ever be popular or heard on radio.

I’ve always found interesting developments in the metal (non-commercial) forefront… if we pay attention to the music playing on the radio these days & then complain, then we’re virtually looking through a straw & complaining about the view… 8)

^^well said, sub!

brundisium said:
imho, RHCP have really toned down a lot from the early beginning and the music direction in the last few album seem rather poppy.

no, actually i don't think so... it's more of them becoming more mature, their music hasn't become 'poppy', it's still as good as ever. you don't have to be fast and metal to be good.

mature yes, but compared to when i first heard them back in the late 80s till the 90s, imho, the last few albums from them are just ordinary rock album. I wont say that it's not good, but i wont say that its good either, imho.

Anyway, one thing that i believe, is that, good music/interesting music might not be popular and if its can play with my mind and emotions, its good music :D

The last 2 albums can be attributed to john frusciante's added role within the band. If you listen to all his past solo albums, you'll recognise the influence immediately. They're actually quite good really for self produced records. Can try his net release album on his website.
incidentally, mars volta features them playing on their album as well.

The few john frusciante solo album do sounds alt pop album to me. The new one from him when i first heard it, instantly i realise that his vocal has improved over the last 2 or was it 3 solo album.

Back