My Andy James Guitar Solo Contest entry

peter,

you can shred, but there's no story line to your lead.
what are you playing actually? perhap something for you to ponder then directionless going fasting phasing

for a start & to be honest, your lead sound did not cut through the mix well enough. whether your technique was clean or not I couldn't really tell & I do believe that others might share the same view as I do (referring more the the judges).

I would like to also mention that your improvisation did not really fit in well to the backing track. knowing that you are in the right key and where your notes are on the fretboard is a good thing but you gotta use modes in your playing. If not, it'd just sound like mindless shredding. as mentioned previously, it lacks a story.

at least you have the courage to give it your best. *salutes*

obviously you spent time practicing and learn all the techniques ( shame on me ).

the sweeping are really great, it is something most ppl will NEVER get it.

if you want to make it the highlight of your performance, you would need to build tension to it. personally, i think the sweeping sequence came in too suddenly which made it loose a lot of impact.

anyway, keep rocking, you already have a lot of technique, the rest is just cutting it loose on the fret board. keep on rockin!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate them a lot and I definetly identify them as constructive critique. Thank you all =)

Cheers =)

Back