Musician in Singapore?

Mr. Mouse

Hello guys.

I have a question that I think bugs a lot of the music enthusiasts here. I'm only 16 years old, so I guess I don't know much.

I aspire to be a performer in the future (I play drums). My dream would be to perform with my band in front of a crowd, with them cheering and all. I LOVE THE ADRENALINE RUSH AND EXCITEMENT!

However I heard many people (including my own parents) saying that making money with music in Singapore is nearly impossible. So, what are your thoughts? How difficult is it to make a living out of music in Singapore?

Trust me.
if u are a dedicated musician
against all odds and determination
you can go far.

Sometimes people thing aiyaaaa play music for what.....waste money lor.....somemore cant earn money lor

That is the stereotype singaporean.:)
But if u really have the heart to go far
u will

its all about attitude.
Some people play music for fun
some for fame
some for art
some for attracting girls
some for the trend
so yeah
its all depends on your own choice,Your life is yours.u still young..there's lotsa path u can choose from.Its all in your mind
:)
cheers

[QUOTE=EzaRitualBella

Yes, good point. Many people say that the music scene in Singapore is horrible, you can't get anywhere or earn any money out of it, etc etc. But really, as long as you have the passion and determination, you can go anywhere.

There are some interesting spots on Razor TV on Straights Times. Google Straights Times and look at the Podcasts http://www.straitstimes.com/ .

There are some casts on the local scene, interviews with John Chan and more.
I guess it breaks up to a few categories when it comes to making a living out of music.
Producing/arranging/ technical recording( you own the studio charging people )
Distribution
Singer Songwriter/selling your writing skills
and of course performing live.

I think if your part of the production process you can gain some bucks.
Selling the final product, is a different matter.

But what Mr Mouse is interested in is Live Performance.
The way I see it is that it's split to 2 columns,
One is the session musician, who have going rates (Flexible most times) if you want to book them for gigs, so they make their living out of this.
Two is the band musician (they formed a band with friends), who, depending on what gig and what the budget is for the gig, gets paid what ever it is, if anything at all.

The Esplanade pays all the acts that they call upon, the rates vary of course.
Outside of Esplanade I'm not sure, from time to time I hear that bands have to pay to perform. Interesting thing is some of them don't mind paying, or were forced to pay because they defaulted on an agreement that they sell over a certain amount of tickets.

What I'm saying might be an over simplification, but I feel this is what it boils down to.

For live performance, in the case of Mr Mouse.
Provided there are enough paying gigs for your kind of product(what ever it maybe). I think yes you can survive and make a living, but like what John Chan said, there is a lack of critical mass, so watch out.

All that said, you should go after your dreams, just remember not to get too much tunnel vision, see what opens up for you.

Good Luck

Just push!Ignore what those people say,they are not the ones who determine your future,you do!
If it's for the MUSIC itself,you won't care about money anymore,because you just enjoy doing it

Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

I just hope that trying to make a living out of music will get me by. I'm worried about whether or not making a living out of music is realistic or not, and whether the income is good or not.

How much do you guys think the average performer in Singapore earns a month?

Hey Mr. Mouse, if you'd like to be a live performing musician, start taking lessons, and practice, very very hard. The average going rate for a pub-band is, depending on where you're playing, somewhere between 150-200 a night per person. You're not going to be able to live on this especially since you can't bet on playing every night. Weddings are 250 per person, or if you're really really good, more, but these don't come around often. You get more when you play for Chinese pop stars or in the recording studio; i'm not sure what the rate is for that. Lessons, if you're one of the best in Singapore, can draw you between 50-80 an hour. All in, you can get by, and make a living.

But, you can't make a decent living unless you're one of the best in Singapore. And being one of the best in Singapore doesn't mean your friends telling you that, or your relatives telling you that. When Sun Yan Zi's agent calls you up because you've been doing a really good job playing in a lot of pubs, or you've recorded a really good demo, that's probably a good indicator.

Don't give up on your dream. But don't quite studying also. Practice hard, and take lessons; learn a lot of different genres. Personally, I think the most important you should start with is jazz/ fusion/ funk. These require a lot of counting and good musicality. Learn to read and write music.

Versatility trumps talent anyday, and versatility comes from practice. Good luck buddy!

Although passionately, I will say dun go for the money, but realistically we all have to eat dunt we. Hmm I would say about 1 - 2 k (seen it somewhr in the newspaper)? I am not very sure about tt, you may want to check with others. Not sure about busking either? :confused: nvr been in the scene...

hi there, i dont have any experience earning a living by music but these are what i know.

its very hard to earn as a band when it comes to performing just gigs, selling CDs, merchandises and what nots. think of the capital you need, instruments, maintaining instruments, recording charges(those 40/hr/song don't count ok?) etc etc.

the only way you can earn is like performing for occasions such as weddings or company dinners and so on. even so, im sure most of these performers have their own fixed full time jobs.

another way is performing as pubs, however in these too, many have their own full time jobs and perform as additional incomes. challenges are aplenty. you have to get known, have a repertoire of at least 70~80 songs, and remain known. i have a friend who's father is in a resident band at a pub. his advice: be open to many genres. people may just request for any songs. even he has a full time job.

final say: its hard to earn a living with music in singapore only. go for the bigger market. be good, be known for being good, remain known for being good.

0.5 rupiah worth. =P

Making money on music in Singapore?? Almost impossible if you are not up to the standard. Of course there are music venues like playing in the pub n so on... Even that... you need to have a wide variety of music genre... All the top 40s music u have to learn and the quickest way to get into the scene is to practice and learn to read music... If you don't read its again near impossible to get a job. Try remembering all the top 40's music... there must be 1000's of songs to remember... So if you read music it will be the best. Don't have to relay on memory... just read n have a good feel... (For Mr. Mouse case... good sense of drum feel and groove).

Next level like one of the bros here mentioned will be in the production side where you either arrange, compose or produce music for artist. That if you are good at it will bring in substantial amount of $$. A well sort after music arranger probably charges 3 to 4K per song or even more. So an album will probably fetch in abt 20 to 30K. But everything is deadline deadline deadline... work until stupid... no day no night... Everyday u will be in the studio.

As for live performance... this is a tall order... But if you manage to get there... its really fun. If you are a person that doesn't mind traveling a lot its great! You will get to tour with the pop artist. You will have to play in a band... When i say band doesn't mean its your band... The musicians are hand picked by the band leader. Everyone will have to read scores... all music are arranged to details... music is played exactly to the scores... cannot anyhow hamtam type... There will be lots of rehearsal prior to the touring... All expenses paid trip to tour with the artist... This u probably get paid abt 15K for the entire tour... It may sound a lot to some pple here since there are lots of young musicians in SOFT. But in actual fact, there are lots of work to be done prior to earning such money... Rehearsals probably will take couple of sessions which can be spread over a month or 2... touring will probably take 2 weeks... So its very time consuming but if you love music that is wat keeps u going!

So to sum things up... You have to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... be in the music scene and play as much as you can... gain the exposure as well as making a name for yourself... IF you only practice and play at home or in churches... who will notice you??? No matter how good you think you are it doesn't really matter... What matters most are people in the professional music scene recognizes your talent. Now with youtube... its really easy to get famous!! There are lots of fantastic musicians now getting known thru youtube!
I am sure you guys all know who is Arthur Kum, right? Have you guys heard of Arthur Kum 8yrs ago???He was already a killer drummer at a very young age... But he made a name for himself by participating in Modern drummer contest and subsequently the video was stream at youtube!

Cobus is another fantastic drummer. After he streams his videos on youtube... he gain sponsorship for recording gears... Mics, mixers so on... So maybe Mr. Mouse can start recording some of your drumming stuff and post it on youtube... you never know what will happen!!

Determination and ambition are only one part of the picture. Ultimately, i think it boils down to how good you are. If you're awesome people will cross oceans to watch you. I don't think its fair to say that we have no scene, half a scene, somewhat a scene or whatever. If you're good, people will want to see you, and you'll go far. So all the best !

Thanks for all the input!

I guess it is pretty hard to make a living out of music only :( I'm content, my questions are answered.

If you guys still have anything to discuss about this topic go ahead :D

The sad thing is that they don't make it big because of low exposure, even though local music is rockin' hard (meaning that they're very good musicians). Many Singaporeans perceive that local music can't make it and are terrible, and some people I know even ignorantly told me that they suck, even though they've never heard much of it.

Many Singaporeans perceive that local music can't make it and are terrible, and some people I know even ignorantly told me that they suck, even though they've never heard much of it.

yeap. agreed. people say singapore music suck, but they dont even know one song by a local musician.

and musician nowadays must have good marketing skills to sell themselves.

Back