Music culture in JCs?

do your assignment yourself lah :p

i was from a JC but the music culture there was kinda boring. So many people into mainstream kinda crap and few metalheads and lotsa gay emo people. Kinda disappointed.

lols okay, but it is time consuming, u know...anyway, i have to agree with u to the certain extent. I head the latest craze there is Sean kingston. Correct me if I am wrong.

well, probably. Coz ALL my classmates were into Rihannas Umbrella and that kinda stuff.

We even used to have this even every Wednesday called "Verbal Nuggests" where huge speakers and mixing equipment and microphones will be setup in the canteen and they play Chinese/Japanese and English Mainstream Music and the Disc Jockey would play students dedications too. It annoyed the hell outta me coz the music played was so....urgh

Oh my god i pity you. My secondary school is not that bad. There are a lot of metal fans. A lot of ppl also like guns n roses in my sec school. My schoolmates mainly like band music, be it mainstream, alternative, indie.... My JC is slightly different. First it was sexyback, then it was MCR...then it was sean kingston and rihanna...there are some metal fans and classical music fans

trust me guys..i'm in jc now, and u guys gotta understand tht when you're in jc, there isnt music culture or any scenes other than goddamn mainstreams dude.if you're other thn tht, you're considered an outcast.trust me, i'm one myself.

Hmm, i am in jc as well, but there is a group of ppl who likes band music...i dunno whether bands (exclude orchestras in ur schools) such as yellowcard, U2, 3 doors down, oneRepublic, red hot chilli peppers etc are considered mainstream as I think they are more of alternatives or rock...I dunno...can some 1 enlighten me on classifying?

I was in AJ for awhile man. The culture there was horrible. Imagine... Simple Plan? It's totally gay shit.

A lot of chinese poppies in AJ. Couldn't stand it too.

But during PAE, I was in PJ and I was totally impressed with the metal culture there.

can we discriminate music we dont understand or people who are not into our music type and thus adopting a holier than thou attitude towards a certain community?

discuss[25 points]

Yea ppl in the bishan, ang mo kio area tends to be more of chinese pop, but if we want to change the music culture, we have to bring it rite? I know a lot of teens are taking up guitar, which is a sort of a start....

Point is, everywhere's the same. Mainstream music will remain popular, that's why it's available everywhere. If you want to find a niche audience, either make your own music club or just stick to the internet.

Let's just put it this way and ask from a more artistic point of view.

Is their music really music?

I think it is matter of viewpoints and opinions. That's all. But i think from the responses I have seen, ppl in the jcs may not really be exposed much to other genres of music.

heh, so how music is the kinda music that those in this thread are into but the majority are not into, in the JC context?

National Radio? Their job is to promote popular music after all. If you want ppl to be immersed into our genres of alternative rock, punk rock, power metal, black metal, indie,.... what do musicians and composers of such genres do? [referring to the local scene especially]

isnt it good for u that metal is not well known? So if everyone starts listening to metal,and metal turns mainstream,will u then diss it?

You have a point there, but music has to be diversified right, i dunno whether the proportion of ppl listening to different genres is acceptable or not...

Lol, this thread screams phayle in GP. Anyway, it's mainstream all the way. But then again, i see nothing wrong with it being that way.

isnt it good for u that metal is not well known? So if everyone starts listening to metal,and metal turns mainstream,will u then diss it?

metal is pretty much mainstream, there's a lot of metalheads around here if you haven't noticed.

Latest posts

Back