Mixcraft Inquiries

michael68

Dear all,
I was just introduced to Mixcraft recently and wanted to get your advise on the following:

1) Expansion: Are there any compatible formats for new styles, sounds, patterns etc? Do 3rd parties provide expansion packs for sounds, styles etc?

2) Arranging songs: Do they have, within Styles, Intros, Variations, Ends? I guess not...

3) Controller keyboards: What versatile controller keyboards goes well with this software in terms of ease of use etc? M-Audio, Novation etc?

4) Output as Sheetmusic: Does it have a function to translate music played on the keyboard controller into sheet music and saved as a file?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Michael LIm

You first need to understand the concept of sequencing (ie "arranging" a piece of music via midi). In a sequencer, you basically do all the writing and and entering of data (ie sequencing) yourself. There's no "intro" button or "end" button like a Yamaha PSR arranger keyboard. There are ways to go about doing it:

1. The easy way - use either loops or pre-sequenced midi tracks which you can download license-free, or
2. The "proper" way (which I call it - or I would say - the "best" way) - to enter/program the sequence yourself note by note either by playing a keyboard (recommended) or with a mouse.

With that cleared up, you should know there's no "styles" etc except if you download midi sequences. But these are pretty dead with little variations.

Expansion for sound - absolutely. Via VST plugins. Mixcraft website did not mention any notation feature.

The question to ask is - what are you attempting to achieve?

Thanks for your advice.
For me, it is a hobby, and sometimes, a tune came to your mind where you just want to record it down, and slowly build layer/tracks over it until it becomes richer.
Or it could be one of your favourite oldies that you came across over the radio and you hope to do your own version of it, possibly to play over it using piano or guitar as the lead, or simply singing along with it.
These are just some ideas that came to me after looking at a demo of Mixcraft at Sinamex which also sells M-Audio and Novation keyboard controller.
The biggest challenge is my occupation and family takes up most of my time, and hence I need the easiest, yet powerful software to put my ideas together.
Hope to have your advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michael

If you're going to do pro recording and quality of sound is not your aim, then Mixcraft is fine. It's certainly not very powerful, but it's got everything you need. I also have the same challenge as you. Work and family takes up almost all my time. I've got lots of new music written but no time to sequence and record. In fact, my wife has been encouraging me to do it, but I can't the time to do it.

Back