Mistakes Keyboardists make

Cheez

OK. Let the keyboardists and non-keyboardists give some input on this one. What are the most common mistakes keyboardists make when playing live? Any observations/ opinions/ suggestions?

make mistake no.3 ?

it's always the case of hiding behind the scene
and let the guitarists take all the glory !!!

Cheez said:
I think one of the biggest problem is the overuse of the sustain pedal.

haa..haa... because they plug in the wrong polarity? i saw that happened a few times. End up keyboardist without sustain pedal. (in a gig situation lah, alien keyboard)

sustain pedal or suspended pedal ???

sustain pedal or suspended pedal ???

halo,
hung out in so many jam studios,
and come to know that korg, roland and yamaha
use different kinds of sus. pedal.

one is similar to pianoforte sus. pedal
while the other is the reverse. If anyone
use the reverse sus. pedal, it'll sure to
overuse the sus. pedal !!!
So what'd I say ??? is it a SUSTAIN or SUSPENDED pedal ???

other incorrect actions probably are
- not choosing the right sound
- crashing with the guitar leads,
keyboardist and guitarist should compliment each other in a band
- overuse of strings and pads
- not maximising both hands ??? errr.. haha depends

what else folks ??? duno lo....

rdgs,
.john.

yes! overuse of strings and pads! it's like that's all keyboardists are wanted for.. sheesh. hold chords and go.

as for the sustain pedal.. yeah. especially for pianists-turned-keyboardists. they play a strings patch they way they would play a piano, i.e left hand aprpegios and right hand chords/melody, plus sustain pedal like on a real piano. gives one heck of a messy sound.

which brings me to my next point about playing a sound.. many keyboardists don't play the sound the way it is meant to be played. e.g, if u play a flute sound, u gotta know the common flute 'licks' and limitations of the flute and play accordingly on the keyboard to sound realistic. same goes for strings, hammond organ, brass etc.. even if the sound sample sounds like crap, it'll still sound decent if played correctly. the same applies the other way, a good sound played wrongly will sound like crap too.

just my 2 cents. :)

Alrite!

halo IAN,

you still awake in the dead of the night ?

what you said true! keyboardist given the palette
of sounds should use it according to the emulated
instrument music range.

hey, how about lotta keyboardists tend to prefer to
be overshadowed by the normally ego-maniac guitarist?

may the riff be with you !!!

.john

Re: Alrite!

synthman said:

please stop posting these kind of remarks. it is not constructive.

soft said:
haa..haa... because they plug in the wrong polarity? i saw that happened a few times. End up keyboardist without sustain pedal. (in a gig situation lah, alien keyboard)

Wrong polarity??? That must be kind of a disaster.

Yes Ian, those sustained pads are overused. The other extreme - playing his groove to show off with all the arpeggios etc. OK as a soloist, but as a band, the sound just come out as one big mess. Sounds like everybody is trying to fight for the lime-light - sound totally indistinguishable. Actually, this goes for all other intrumentalists as well (including guitarists). Somehow, players don't listen to one another - just want their instrument to be the loudest with all the complicated semiquavers. Agree with synthman that keyboardist and guitarist should compliment one another. Goes for the drums etc as well. One of my friends told me once, "It's not what you play, but what you DON'T play." Play less can be good. I call knowing when to play less "maturity".

Comments?

Re: Alrite!

soft said:
synthman said:

please stop posting these kind of remarks. it is not constructive.

wau lan eh ah!?? the head master steps in to check the conduct code?!!
just a comment lah!? why so unhappy ah?!

this is what i observe and what i experienced mah?!!
when i started out as a young keyboardist, the guitarist
would just want me to play the rhythm sideman for him
as he solo for the whole jam session. when i try to trade
licks and riffs, the six-strings maniac normally would raise
eyebrowns...

any comments, KEYBOARDists ???

i joined a hardcore blues band lately consisting of high profile
working professionals, but quit after 4 months... WHY ???
because the six-strings ego maniac try to rule the band !!!

that's why... i go away

Cheez said:
Wrong polarity??? That must be kind of a disaster.

Yes Ian, those sustained pads are overused. The other extreme - playing his groove to show off with all the arpeggios etc. OK as a soloist, but as a band, the sound just come out as one big mess. Sounds like everybody is trying to fight for the lime-light - sound totally indistinguishable. Actually, this goes for all other intrumentalists as well (including guitarists). Somehow, players don't listen to one another - just want their instrument to be the loudest with all the complicated semiquavers. Agree with synthman that keyboardist and guitarist should compliment one another. Goes for the drums etc as well. One of my friends told me once, "It's not what you play, but what you DON'T play." Play less can be good. I call knowing when to play less "maturity".

Comments?

WELL SAID CHEEZ ! less is definitely MORE ... ...

wow john... your experience must be real shitty then. i'm usually just more than content to sit behind and look passive as long as i'm paid my dues, so i don't really notice or care wat theatrics the others are up to. :lol: what's hardcore blues btw?

haha.. wrong polarity doesn't count as a mistake anymore. it counts as sheer blur-ness. :lol:

and YES, the thing about playing less/more... are all musicians reading this??? it's very true. i find so many young musicians are just keen to get the chords right but don't listen to each other when they play. rhythm and groove is of utmost importance.(which on a side note, is why i don't believe the "less-skilled" guitarist should play rhythm and the "more-skilled" guitarist should play lead).

I think the matter is not about just playing less but more for a band but also about everybody playing their role in the band and delivering the song to the audience.

About keyboardist being "left behind", well i guess it depends on the genres and the song arrangement that the bands agrees on. We keyboardist have different roles on different songs, whether as a support a frontman, lead the vocalist, etc. However, in this Guitarist-dominated and Rock/ Blues oriented local music scene, we cant help of being seen as a support all the time(Majority wins). After all we, keyboardist, can be considered as a "MINOR".

So let us practise not just RACIAL HARMONY but oso MUSIC HARMONY in singapore ... EVERYBODY PLAYS A PART .... he he he

Mistakes i should not repeat, U OSO .... (hic hic hic, PAISEH):

Was doing a gig with 4 progressive songs using 27 programmed multis in all (bout 5 - 8 programs per song). On the night before the gig(It was late at nite), i had this inspiration of creating new set of patches for the 2nd song. So i did it anyway, changing and modifying the patches.

At the gig itself, everything went smoothly until halfway of the 2nd song.TO MY HORROR, every programs are JUMBLED up from halfway of 2nd song to the END. Fortunately, it was at the keyboard rhythm part that i realised the problem so I didnt panicked and nobody seems to notice.... PHEEEWWW ....

So for the rest of the SONGS i used the Keyboard preprogrammed patches and AD LIB my part .... nobody seems to notice ... not even my band members ... YEAH ... VICTORY ...

LESSON LEARNT:

Always double check all your programs during the SOUNDCHECK and dont change it last minute.

hardcore Blues anyone ???

iansoh said:
:lol: what's hardcore blues btw?
:lol:

Hmmm... robert johnson, eric clapton, bb king, johnny winter,
john mayall and the bluesbreakers, buddy guy, willie
dixon, cream, albert king, jimi hendrix, stevie ray
vanughan and double trouble, rolling stones, yardbirds, etc......
and of course the 12-bar major/minor blues jam!!!

born under the bad sign, hey joe, pride and joy, all your love,
rambling on my mind, crossroads, the thrill is gone, liitle wing, etc...

so the two patches that i use: Organ B3, Rock Piano.
no brass, no strings, no pads, no woodwind, maybe harmonica !??

hey. i play that stuff too, in my band! except that we usually fuNK up the original arrangement. sometimes a tad too much. hahaha.. =p

for a moment i thought hardcore blues was some weird fusion between metal and blues. :lol:

good player

well if that's so, i can tell you are a very good player!!!

i managed to cope but the 6-strgs maniac juz too much?!!!

xusninor said:
hey synthman. r u being sarcastic?

wat you tok? sarcastic?
hardcore blues not E-Z to play wat?
i praised IAN, not sarcastic.
wat on your mind? get to the point, bro!

anyway, we OT lo...

Mr_KeyboardMan said:
Mistakes i should not repeat, U OSO .... (hic hic hic, PAISEH):

Was doing a gig with 4 progressive songs using 27 programmed multis in all (bout 5 - 8 programs per song). On the night before the gig(It was late at nite), i had this inspiration of creating new set of patches for the 2nd song. So i did it anyway, changing and modifying the patches.

At the gig itself, everything went smoothly until halfway of the 2nd song.TO MY HORROR, every programs are JUMBLED up from halfway of 2nd song to the END. Fortunately, it was at the keyboard rhythm part that i realised the problem so I didnt panicked and nobody seems to notice.... PHEEEWWW ....

So for the rest of the SONGS i used the Keyboard preprogrammed patches and AD LIB my part .... nobody seems to notice ... not even my band members ... YEAH ... VICTORY ...

LESSON LEARNT:

Always double check all your programs during the SOUNDCHECK and dont change it last minute.

For me, it's always about tripping on those wires.

Back