MIM MIA MIJ fender basses.how do they compare to each other?

leonq, which have you tried and how do you feel?

maybe by sharing your findings with us, we might be able to fill inbetween?

well i do not have tt much experience in trying basses.. so far.. i have only tried MIMs. they feel and sound good to me but i heard they are the most 'budget' of the lot(correct me if im wrong). so i kinda wanna noe how their higher end cousins are.

most people say MIJs are comparable to MIAs. and i kinda agree.

i once tried a second hand MIA J bass at G77 and it felt really solid and had a great sound. MIJs' standard is abt 80-90% there compared to american fenders. the only difference is probably the finishing. the higer end MIJs have glossed finished necks. i personally don't like that feel though.

( from worst quality to highest quality ) :

MIM
MIJ
MIA

MIJs are really good for their price, i think SGD790 new from luther music works. It has been noted to have a very high quality of workmanship. The MIMs are known for being quite poorly set up, but given a professional setup by a guitar tech, and some "adjustments" to the electronics, i believe it can achieve the potential of the MIJs too. Of course, as the previous posters have mentioned, MIAs maintain the highest quality and naturally, the best sound.

Cheers,
Rylche

there's a similar thread on this...

i personally like MIJ's,
1) price, it's worth it
2) the japanese are "vintage" lovers, plenty of reissues and vintage styled basses

however, MIJs only come with erm... 20 frets. =(

I don't have extensive experience in trying/owning Fender basses. But I do have a MIA P, 2 MIJs, had an MIM, another MIJ and tried some of each make that i never owned (mostly Jazzes). You get the picture.

Heres the shallow version of my advice:

If you want a classic P sound, go MIA. If you want a classic Jazz sound, go MIA or MIJ. Another choice for jazz = MIM 60s reissue (i think some have seen the sunburst one...thats one example i think).

By 'classic' I mean with vintage Fenders as a benchmark tonewise. I'm also assuming that we're talking about normal budgets, not extravagant ones.

Many have said that Fenders these days are 'hit or miss'. Meaning you either get close to that old sound, or you get totally something else. This has been prevalent for quite a few years already (decades??). So best is the ole 'try before you buy'.

As outlined by the posts before, MIJs = best build consistency :)

For the price you pay, I totally agree with 3notesabar about the MIJs......bang for buck consistency.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I've personally encountered some minute problems with the MIJ pickups, but it's more of a personal opinion.

Do try them out, and if they're no biggie to you, then it's fine and dandy.

I personally feel that MIAs are also really really consistent in tone. They should be, considering the asking price of those things. :?

As for MIMs, I find that they're overpriced and are very inconsistent.

I've tried a fair number of MIMs before, and I've come across a few stellar examples....the rest are lemons.

As mentioned before by others, let your own ears decide.

I am not bassist. But I guess it should apply,

Prices I guess most of us know. MIA is more ex, in general. Depends on model too.

I feel that the best way to determine value, is to compare the specs of the guitar/bass part by part. Like wood (alder/ash etc), bridge(steel, diecast etc), pickups, body finish etc. Then u would know the explicit value difference. But it can be individual preference also, not necessarily more ex parts suit the player.

The implicit value difference would be in workmanship. This one, very hard to say. Try it out is the best :)

rgds
CK

actually i prefer the MIJ to the MIA ....killer fret boards...precission wise!!
oh ya and the bold logo... :D

haha.. right now.. im really tempted to just get an SX and mod it upside down.. sounds like fun to me.. :D

I read about that on TalkBass. The results they get are really astonishing. Superb tone once modded.

leonq said:
haha.. right now.. im really tempted to just get an SX and mod it upside down.. sounds like fun to me.. :D

me and Z3r0_G wanted to do that .. hahha .. but up till now haven't leh .. no $$$ ...

Back