Melbourne and Mornington and more: Electrico on tour (last ep)

christoh

bw-electrico-IMG_0013.JPG

love

THIS IS A LONG ONE. And the last one, I swear. Only because we’ve been so busy, I haven’t had time to post anything in the lastloveweek. But we’re back from Australia and I’m back at work. I was originally going to make this an essay, but heck, I got lazy. So now, this is a photo journal, scrapbook, call it what you will, oflovewhat happened with Electrico from Apr 14 to 17, as we traversed the Australian state ofloveVictoria.

airport-IMG_4886.JPG
At Sydney airport: Note Desmond's guilty expression when the counter staff ask about excess baggage

love

in-the-cockpit-P1070772.JPG
One hour after landing in Melbourne, we're on our way to sea in a 40-foot catamaran, no less. Although we're not sure if the cockpit was meant for three people

love

electrico-on-boat-crazy-shot-P1070816.JPG
You do what you gotta do to stay warm, as temperatures dip

love

desmond-in-music-shop-IMG_0013.JPG

An morning walking tour takes us to hidden gems like Basement Records (above) and an art studio in a converted building (below).

masashi-and-pix-IMG_0044.JPG

running-down-the-alley-closer-IMG_0056.JPG
Electrico does their A Hard Day's Night spoof

After a nice lunch at Little Creatures, the band heads for soundcheck, while I takelovea brief walk around town. At 8pm, we find ourselves at the corner of Brunswick and Gertrude, at the Worker’s Club, where Electrico and their opening act Rush In Attack perform.

love

love
electrico-gig-5-best-P1070895.JPG

love

electrico-gig-william.JPG
electrico-gig-dave.JPG
desmond-and-masashi-P1070953.JPG
electrico-gig-desmond-P1070934.JPG

The gig’s unofficial after party, actually a pub crawl at three venues, including the Golden Monkey (below), where we meet The Sun’s San Singer (below, right), and Odi (I hope I got the name right) “one of the band’s oldest fans” – although she’s quite young (compared to me, lah).

electrico-and-odi.JPG
desmond-and-sanjeev.JPG

william-bw.JPG
GQ cover?

love
desmond-talking-to-fans.JPG
love
cookie.JPG

Next morning,loveSam our Melbournelovehost,loveprocures two cars for our drive to Mornington. “Dave’s driving one car,” she tells me. I’m going with you, I tell her. Turns out, the band takes one car, we take the other.

electrico-getting-into-the-car-IMG_0137.JPG
love

It’s a full day on the road, sussing out locations for photo shoots, with stops at the Brighton Beach bath houses, Red Hill Cheese Factory, Montalto’s restaurant for lunch, Gunnamatta Trail Rides for a jaunt on a filly, Cape Schanck lighthouse, before checking in at Peppers Moonah Links Resort, rest for 20 minutes and then head out to Portsea Hotel for dinner.

love
electrico-at-bathing-boxes-IMG_01191.JPG

electrico-and-cheese.JPG

love
electrico-and-sculpture.JPG

dave-and-vineyard.JPG

horse-riding.JPG

desmond-and-horse.JPG
The next winner of the Melbourne Cup?

love
electrico-at-cape-schank.JPG

electrico-in-car2-P1090136.JPG
Boyz 'n' their hoodz: Electrico and Keith Colaco

love

11.30PM. Evacuate Portsea Hotel as the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. I am not making this up. Four fire engines and a police car later, we leave. The next day at 7AM (yes, you read right)lovewe check out and head to Sorrento Pier for ferry to Queenscliff. From there it’slovemore photo sessions at Geelong, before going to Werribee Mansion for lunchloveand a straight drive all the way back to Melbourne airport.

love

geelong-shoot-blue-door-P1090207.JPG

electrico-n-car-morning-P1090151.JPG
The band tends to get a little strange when they don't get enough sleep

band-shadow-shot-P1090172.JPG
At Sorrento waiting for the ferry

dave-and-des-in-grass-P1090240.JPG
This is what happens when Dave and Des get too much sun

last-meal-P1090322.JPG
Our last meal on Australian soil

long-reach-qantas.JPG
Our ride home. Thank you Tourism Australia, thank you Chugg, thank you Marcia and Electrico

More...

Back