Meet And Mingle With Musicians

soft

Administrator
Staff member
14581556_10153782526361746_2494829013893014488_n.jpg

Hello, Musicians and Aspiring Musicians!
Welcome to Six Degrees.
This event is open to all musicians - professionals and hobbyists alike, as well as anyone who simply loves singing, songwriting or wants to meet musicians and pick their brain.
Come join us for an evening of sharing and mingling with the musician community!

Event Highlights
• An intimate environment for the musician industry to get together and network
• Gain industry insights from guest musicians, Nicholas Chim, Sam Rui and SOOS OIO's Founder, Pauline Phoon.
• Shout-out opportunity for all attendees to say ‘who they are’ and ‘who they’re looking to meet’
• Hang out into the wee hours, as late as your age permits…
• Mingle over refreshments

Event Programme*
Registration @ 7.15pm to 7.40pm
Greetings and Event Introduction @ 7.55pm to 8pm
Industry Sharing and Shout-out @ 8pm to 9pm
Mingling @ 9pm onwards
*subject to changes

Industry Sharing Participants

Nicholas Chim
Having grown up in the working class, Nicholas uses songwriting as both catharsis and self-discovery. He believes "that there is an ideal, honest way to live and through the writing process, I'll be able to find it".
With two albums under his belt, he has performed in countries such as Germany, Hong Kong and Japan. His performance highlights include being the first Asian artist ever to perform at Maifeld Derby Festival in Mannheim, Japan Music Week as well as opening for Kina Grannis and David Choi on their Asian tours.
Touted as a promising artist to look out for by producer Bob Ezrin, Nicholas Chim has also produced soundtracks for French apparel Lacoste and Tiger Beer, served a residency at Lasalle's School of Contemporary Music and earned several nominations and awards.
With the release of his new EP "The Greatest Enemy", Nicholas looks set to go back on the road and reconnect with audiences. To him, rediscovering that connection between audience and performer is "the best feeling on earth and I want to keep chasing it".

Sam Rui
Sam Rui is a contemporary R&B music artist based in Singapore. The 20-year-old singer-songwriter took the music scene by storm in early 2016 after dropping two street singles - “Down” ft. Fauxe and “BOYS” - on Spotify unannounced. In the short span of three months, the singles have garnered more than 300,000 plays in total, drawing the attention of listeners from as far as Manhattan, Los Angeles, London, and Brooklyn.

Sam Rui has been featured on several local and international playlists and media, including Power 98, 98.7, and Lush 99.5fm (SG), Bandwagon Asia, Coconuts Singapore, Circulation Magazine (UK), Spotify’s Fresh Finds playlist (US), Ambient Light Music (US), Urban Outfitters’ New Releases playlist (US), Indieshuffle (AU), and IX Daily (CA, NY). Sam Rui recently fronted the cover of Singapore’s The Strait’s Times’ Life!, and was hailed as one of the hottest upcoming local music acts in the country.

The National Art Council (NAC) Noise Mentorship alumnus has performed with Asia’s hottest musicians, opening for Gentle Bones at his debut EP launch in 2014, The Sam Willows at their Take Heart Tour in 2016, and performing alongside Shigga Shay, Tabitha Nauser, and Jay Park at SHINE Festival 2016.

When asked what drives her to make music, Rui’s response was “I don’t think I remember a time where music wasn’t a part of my life. It’s always been there, it’s just it was only recently that I decided I loved doing this and trusted my ability to do it enough to want to pursue it at this scale. And so I haven’t looked back since.” Rui’s music has been making waves in the local music scene not only because of the unique tone of her voice and smooth beats of her songs but because of the shocking level of honesty she injects into her songs. “The genre of music I do is sassy, powerful, groovy, and maybe that’s the vibe you get from my music at surface value. But I feel it’s such a waste to make music simply for the sake of making a good tune, which is why I make the subject matter and lyrics of all my songs so personal. Music to me is not just about hooking an audience and being “cool,” it’s about catharsis; as much as it sounds good it must also mean something to you.”

In August 2016, Sam released the first single off her debut EP - “Better” - its accompanying music video was released the month after in September. Her much-anticipated debut EP will be released in the first quarter of 2017.

Pauline Phoon
As the Managing Partner and founder of SOOS OIO LLP, Pauline Phoon is passionate for Singaporean youths to become quality content creators and a positive influence in the social media. She has also initiated the new platform songwriters.sg to gather a Singapore Music Community around songwriters to create music.

The pivotal point for Pauline was with Monsoon Productions Pte Ltd, not only personal but perhaps also for media and entertainment in Asia Pacific. As an Artist Manager, Pauline did the financial, operational and market research and assessment of bringing a YouTube celebrity, David Choi, to Singapore for the first time in 2010. With the start of this project, she became the General Manager. When David Choi arrived, the packed venues like Esplanade Concourse and HMV Store, it became evident that there is a market for YouTube artistes. The following year, full-blown Asia Pacific tours for various YouTube artistes to cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Jakarta and Hong Kong were put in place. Some other artists that went on tour were Clara C and AJ Rafael. Monsoon Productions Pte Ltd stopped its Singapore operations in 2012. Soulmanna Live Pte Ltd was birthed straightaway to ride on the momentum with Pauline as the Managing Director. With Soulmanna Live, YouTubers like Wong Fu Productions, Kina Grannis and Ryan Higa came to Asia Pacific to meet their fans for the first time. A Social Media Workshop with Wong Fu Productions, in collaboration with People’s Association was organized in 2012. While working with YouTube artists from the States, Pauline also involved local artistes in the cities like Jayesslee & Charles J Tan (Australia), Jinnyboy (Malaysia), Krissy & Ericka (Philippines) and Inch Chua (Singapore) to name a few. Pauline saw the growth in market value of the American YouTube artistes whom she worked with within the few years. Pauline had been one of the key catalysts for the current popularity of YouTube celebrities and the emergence of local YouTubers in Asia Pacific.

Register here

Back