marshall vs smarvo

redjackal

hi guys/gals...
i'm considering between a Smarvo 40 watts (with 2 10" speakers) and a marshall mini 15 stack. Any comments on the items and which would you recommend?

i'm playing metal, but would prefer a all-rounded amp for rock and blues as well :)

marshall, either you like it or you dont, smarvos, something like marshall... 40 watts for smarvo doesn't sound 40 watts, great clean channel...

I dont quite like Marshall but in this instance I will pick Marshall over Smarvo.

I had the smarvo 40 watts before, it certainly lacks bass response.... Sold it away... As for Ministack, It's actually a mg15cdr with 2 10" speakers. But it definitely sounds better. If ya going for the ministack let me know. I'm selling mine. 1 month old. Check out classified ads for my ad. :D

My friend had a smarvo 40watt, tried it before. It has a good clean sound but the overdriven/distorted spund aint that good

yeah i tried the smarvo 40, has a great clean channel.
as for the dirty channel, i'm using my pedals so will not be using the dirty channel.

I'm not sure about the mini stack, but I've heard the MG15CDR before, and the power of the amp can't be compared with a Smarvo 40w. I guess the result will be similar with a mini 15 as well, as it's a 15 watter like the MG15. I would recommend the 1x12" over the 2x10", but the choice is yours. The only gripe I have with the Smarvo 40w is that it sounds miserable at low volumes, almost like it's begging to be played loud.

redjackal said:
i'm playing metal, but would prefer a all-rounded amp for rock and blues as well :)

How about a Vox ADVT 30w? It costs $330 at city music. It has 11 amp models that covers from low gain to high gain amp models. I got one, it's a all rounded amp that is suitable for most styles 8)

I use a Voxad30vt too. Very versatile amp with a great overdrive and versatility.

imo, I think its better than a mg15cdr anytime. In fact, I sold mine away after hearing the difference.

that's because quite a number of stores brought them in, and they are of relatively cheaper costs as compared to other more 'established' brands. ANyway, maybe retailers like Mikemann can produce a soundclip of the amps? that'd give us a better perspective when looking at new amps.

cheers.

MuL

Amps

I bought 2 guitar amps and 1 bass amp from Smarvo. So far reviews as everyone said, the clean is very sweet, but the effects can be better lah. But for that price for a 100W amp, ok lah. I think you are just getting a practice amp so even a trusty peavey or ibanez 15W will do right. But nonetheless, how much can u really hear even if someone posted a sound file thro the net. Go down to either Mike or Ranking, go try it out man. That is the only way you will know.

Cheers hic!

What do you think of the Vox Valvetronix AD-15VT and the Vox PathFinder 15R?? Which is better?? I'm really into the Vox Amplifier.. :D

I love VOX products too. I am a very satisfied owner of a Vox AD30VT and Vox's Valvtronix series has made me a convert.

If you're looking at just a simple 15W amp, get the Vox Pathfinder15r. If not I strongly reccommend you getting the Valvetronix series. Vox's selling point is the patented 12AX7 tube at the power amp section and that emulates a warm tubey sound from all the amp modelers. Coupled with all the on board effects, i find it the best lower end amp modelling amp in the market by far.

However I reccommend you getting a VoxAD30vt primary due to the reason that it has a Wattage control knob behind that is extremely useful. In fact I think its a crime that other amps above 30W don't have this feature.

You can visit Luther / Citymusic to test out the Valvetronix series. Be sure to test out other amps like (Line6/Roland cube) so you can have a benchmark to evaluate the warmness and richness of the Vox (unless you love thrash metal then you'll be better of getting a line6!)

Wau.. Thanks for the info.. But whats the difference between the AD-15VT and AD-30VT?? I know that they are in different size.. But What about the functions??

Both the AD30 and the AD15 have patented Vox valve reactor, 11 amp models, 11 amp effects, 1 noise gate and 2 user-presets.

The AD30 has a 10inch 8 ohm vox speaker and the 15 a 8 inch 8 ohm speaker.

The main difference is that the AD15 doesn't have the adjustable output wattage. This means that you have to push up the master volume to fully harness the tone and richness of the hybrid amp. For the 30watt version, you can adjust the output wattage knob so that you retain the tone of the amp modeller by lowering the wattage instead of lowering the master volume of the poweramp since the 12ax7 tube is at the power amp section. Hope i make some sense here. If you play mostly at night or live in a highrise apartment, i think this feature serves its purpose.

the demo of the ad30vt and 15vt is here : http://www.voxamps.co.uk/support/resources.asp?productCode=NEWAD15VT&groupCode=demo

vox-ad30vt-ad15vt.gif

Back