Making your OWN gig.

utha

Firstly I hope no one will flame me down for giving suggestions like this, (Especially organisers). I’ve seen the recent discussion about gig organisers, scams and making your own gig. But I realised I’ve seen them(these discussions) in my early years when I was younger too .(Don’t ask for my age very sensitive subject)ha-ha. In my early days, I had no idea how to do these things and how much it costs. But as timed past people like shym raj(takes),angry(sound salvation),visa(armchaircritc) and many other elders and frens have thought me and my band many things..Such as equipment rental and such. I thot i boil down the rough math for u on making a gig possible.

Now lets make a simple comparison between your OWN gig and a gig with some other organiser.

A gig with some organiser.
You need to pay,lets say 10 dollars(average price) and sell 20 tickets that adds up to = 200 dollars.
Now 200 dollars a band is alot of money!! Thats almost like 40 dollars from each band member to play for a gig where you MIGHT not be happy.

Now imagine this.Surely you have friends who have bands. Can u gather 5 bands like this? Not very hard you noe.Just go to myspace and msg them thats how i got to know shym raj, wei wen(for this cycle) and many other artist not to mention you have probably been to a gig make some friends with bands you like.I’ve nvr EVER been given a cold shoulder from any band i’ve approached infact we end up having a good convo.
Now 5 bands imagine if the 5 bands each person in the band pitches 50 bugs that adds up to
$50x5 membersx5 bands =....wait i take calculator...ok $1250 dollars

Equipment rental ,amps ,a drum kit plus monitors will cost you lets say 600 to 700 dollars at max.meaning you have a remainder of 750 dollars with this money u can surely find a good place to hold a gig.Many places even let u use the place for free,like if im not wrong *scape lets u use their lab for free on some day i read about it somewhere here in soft.And there are many other places here in Singapore.Just check with the Singapore arts council.You’re doing a non profit arts event(yes you head banging up there on a stage is a art...not everyone can do it).

Now heres the IMPORTANT part.You don’t wanna fork out $1250 and not get it back. Lets jus say u charge a measly 6 dollars compared to 12 or 10...all u need is 208.333333333 people to come that boils down to jus 41.8 ppl for band....which is actually very sensible.

Now there are alot of variable things, you can charge less for tickets if your not SO interested in profit,you can approach youth organisations to help.According to my knowledge (taken from a manager of a community club,the community centres do have funds to help the youth.Contact http://www.paym.org.sg/ for more info. So you see i might not have a alot of info but heres smthing to start with i hope other softies will add in.

Cause its time we did something rather then sit in our chairs and grumble

A special thank you to people like shaym raj and the many others who are striving for the young.

Hi utha,

When you get around to doing your own shows, please let the bands know.

If they can't hear themselves onstage, please turn their amps down. Don't mistake playing in a small room be it *scape, Playden to be performing in the Wembley Stadium. Just because Fallout Boy uses 4 4x12" cabs mean that you can get the same sound by cranking your amp to be full. Even if you are a punk rock band, you must also observe the venue before cranking.

Anyway, in most cases, most shows rent solid-state amps. Cranking the volume to 11 doesn't help you to get a nicer 'warm tube' tone.

After years of doing shows, I'm quite irritated with bands which complain that they can't hear themselves on stage. You MUST understand that there's a compromise of how much the levels can be pushed on the monitors and if you pump so loud on the stage, the audience is just getting the stage sound, not the house sound.

The live show is about the performance and how the band sounds as an unit, not how well you play your 3 trillion notes per second guitar solo.

And be careful of those drummers who bash their lives away on the drums just because they do not have a drumset back at their HDB flats. Over-compensating for the lack of time spent on the drumkit. Just remember that a broken tom-skin or snare head is not cheap.

When I was doing the Bar None Monday Sessions a few years ago, we had a record number of 2 broken toms, a snare skin and kick skin in a single night. The soundman went ballistic. Luckily, the resident band's drummer was slightly more understanding. The company wrote the damages off.

However, imagine if you were the promoter who rented the equipment from say, BMC, you might have to pay for such damages.

Just a couple of things to look out for.

Good luck! :)

i miss those Monday Sessions! Local bands looked so good on stage with Bar None lights!

yes good advice... read the horror stories about these p2p gigs before around here a few years ago and luckily i didn't fall for it...

the question bout, "would i pay to see myself pay?" was a clear no so, yeah that's a good guideline if young bands wanna dig this p2p cobswollop.

did some calculations before and i really realised this p2p gig thing wasn't a good idea, or even selling x tix for blah blah commision was :rolleyes:

i believe DIY-ing is a good idea and experience, but bands needa be educated on such stuff first before plunging into it

Did a DIY gig before right in a friend's place for other 2nd degree friends. Luther gave me huge load of discount so that really helped.. but it was still not cheap cuz the band members and the host forked out the cash. However, I think it was way more satisfying than if i joined a p2p sell xoxoxo no of tix bull and let some1 else control the show.

Last edited:
...or you could get your own rig

the usual argument is that a serious rig would be overkill for home use

but aren't we talking about performing at gigs here?

why are there so many people who seem to be so 'serious' and anal when it comes to their tone but only as far as FX and guitars are concerned... and when there comes a gig they just simply use whatever amp is available? let's not even go as far as the sound setup and PA.

i don't think the 'scene' can be considered saturated when it is full of poseurs. it is clear that people want to be rockstars, and then put a limit on the amount of commitment and sacrifice they can spare to achieve it.

bro edder bro and bro RR bro, yeah... Ronin did a show with Electrico before back in Oct 2004. Before my time. They packed out the place like 450 pax. And waaaaayyyy too many drunken teenagers. It was a fun night. I was sloshed too.

Ronin did another show during my tenure in Feb 2006 with Great Spy Experiment and the embryo. Despite any grievances some SOFT-ies (hurhurhur) have against Levan, I truly respect his work ethics. That show was Ronin's 3rd show in the day. Amazing...

I repeat my same point which no one will bother to listen and care anyway.

In Bar None, a small but well-lit stage has 2 Peavey Bandits as its primary guitar amps. Both amps are set at 2 - 2.5 for level. A guitarist tried to crank to 7. The soundman asked him over the PA, "Your stage sound is feedbacking into the mikes. Do you wanna sound good over the house PA or do you wanna sound garang only to yourself on stage?"

The guitarist turned down the level back to 2.5.

And we could hear every instrument again during the soundcheck and the band sounded very decent. Of course, during the showtime, the guitarist cranked up his amp to 7 again. And my friend asked me, "Why you get this kinda fucked up band to play for your show?"

Last edited:
Since you have stressed this point twice ...let me put it to you that guitar music is no just heard it;s felt...the FOH is for the crowd ...right...what is the musician gonna feel on stage with amp less than his bedroom level and what if he wants to do some feedback tricks....why limit ??

There are other ways to do this....which i did for a gig ..last saturday...and heaps more!

If you say the band was crap...so was the sound guy!

to aging youth yes i'll definetly call in bands here from soft when im doing a show case and of the year...of course it's great to know that you guys will deffinetly be on the look out for us younger bands.

and aging youth if im not wrong u've done a few gigs at the lab right?? mind pming things like prices and also were you get equipment from...might be of great help

i have this idea of organising a gig, blog down all the aspects of how i got it together, and prove to all you pay-to-play organisers that you dont have to charge bands or force bands to sell tickets, for you to break even. these organisers dont understand that a gig is equivalent to a business venture, not every business venture = profits. i was on the phone with this pay-to-play organiser, whose name i shant mention and i had a nice chat : -

me : so its pay to play? how many tickets must a band sell and at how much
THOMAS: oh 20 tickets at 10 each.
me : so what if cannot sell
THOMAS: then you all must pay for the tickets because i organise with my own money.

i really wanted to shout "SO WHAT" over the phone but man, no point arguing over something that can't be changed.

i have this idea of organising a gig, blog down all the aspects of how i got it together, and prove to all you pay-to-play organisers that you dont have to charge bands or force bands to sell tickets, for you to break even. these organisers dont understand that a gig is equivalent to a business venture, not every business venture = profits. i was on the phone with this pay-to-play organiser, whose name i shant mention and i had a nice chat : -

me : so its pay to play? how many tickets must a band sell and at how much
THOMAS: oh 20 tickets at 10 each.
me : so what if cannot sell
THOMAS: then you all must pay for the tickets because i organise with my own money.

i really wanted to shout "SO WHAT" over the phone but man, no point arguing over something that can't be changed.

screamevents and lightsout are the only groups which don't use P2P

but then again.. there are some bands
take advantages of it

since it's not p2p gigs , bands don't need to force their friends to buy /sell
ended up organisers pay everthing

we'd work with bands like this..
so yeah.. everything there advantages and dis-advantages.

Hey guys.

Just a lil experience from recent gigs as a crew.

Taking an example of the gig tat i helped out,

For me(me not organiser but I happen to feel like him when i work for him during his gig),

We need the money to pay the rent of the place where the gig will be held, rental of some equiments and etc.
Thus, we need bands to sell tickets for some reasons.
-Of course like i said pay the rent,etc.
-They can get their own crowd.
-Of course, we need a lil profit like a bonus ( hope u all dun flame me >.<)

However, the organiser whom i helped never expect all the bands to sell all their 20 tickets. But rather of course, a minimum number of tickets so tat we can cover the cost of the above reasons stated. Like for example sell minimum 10 to 15 enough.

Each ticket the band sells cost 8dollars. And this includes a free soft drink each.
Door sale will be 10 dollars.

So ya back to the point of selling tickets.
So he inform this to all the bands. Thus, all the bands took the tickets and go do their job.
And of course we allocate 30 minutes to each band to play.
However, the worse ting happens. Some bands overplay to 40minutes ( Set-up take so long) and worse still, they didnt heed our calling for time-out and went on to play. after that, the worse has yet to come, afew bands sell LESS THAN 5 TICKETS. At that moment, we were sort of disappointed. Cuz as organisers, its not about the profits, we HAD ALMOST GOT INTO TROUBLE FOR NOT being able to pay the rent. Luckily, some bands managed to do their job to the minimum and we were rescued. Thank you to them, we managed to escape the worse disaster.

After all i have said here, Its not about the money sometimes. Bands also have to perform their respective roles as well. Organisers also need to do their job properly to earn the respect and money. As long as bands and organisers cooperate together, i dun tink money or crowd or time would be a problem!
But of course this is hard. Nothing goes perfectly fine everytime.

Btw, its a real life experience, IM NOT FAKING THIS.

Since you have stressed this point twice ...let me put it to you that guitar music is no just heard it;s felt...the FOH is for the crowd ...right...what is the musician gonna feel on stage with amp less than his bedroom level and what if he wants to do some feedback tricks....why limit ??

There are other ways to do this....which i did for a gig ..last saturday...and heaps more!

If you say the band was crap...so was the sound guy!

It's a chicken-or-egg issue. If you are a vocal-based band, you will be forever judged by most peeps, anyway, by the quality of your lead vocalist. Are you sure you wanna submerge your singer in a torrent of guitar distortion?

Unless you are playing in a band like Sunn O))) or Boris, blast away. Just make sure you supply earplugs for the faint-hearted and be ready for any damages...

Some suggestions:

If you can get some bands with decent crowd turn outs, some venues are more than happy to let you have their bars/ pubs(location could be a totally different thing of course) for free.

If the bar makes money, ask them to give back some to the bands. Even drink coupons or a good meal together are measures that gives everyone a good feeling. If someone pays you for it, transfer enough profits back to the boys who put up the show.

And then again, sometimes you make the mark, sometimes you don't. When that happens, as organisers, you should get prepared to pay the cost of that.

Last edited:
=Vengeancespirit

HAHA I know what you are talking about, next time just scrap the rock gig. The metal guys probably did the cost covering no?

Back