MacBookPro + what software???

nikolaiski

Ok guys...i'm more or less set a macbook pro...

thing is...i've come to love the sounds and samples from Rapture/Dimension/Moog Tribute and so on...but I would probably be using Logic or Cubase..

Are any of these things compatible? I'm still not clear on the VSTs/VSTis and so on...all i need to know is, will i ever run into any compatiblity issues with any major soft synth manufacturer?

BTW i'll probably hook up an 88-key RD700 or similar..so it's gunna be a very softsynth based laptop + keyboard thing...heh

Also, anyone experienced here can tell if a Macbookpro 2.5 ghz can handle the shit i'm about to do? Think 16 track midi + audio with many open softsynths.

thanks!

Upgrade your RAM to 4GB, a 7200 rpm HDD and a firewire audio interface will get you going. Check the compatibility of the software and hardware of your choice if you are going to use in Leopard OS. Logic studio and Reason is the way to go for studio and live performance.

Last edited:
Most softsynths developers create their softsynths to be VST/AU compatible. Some may not work on the Mac, but that's going to be the minority.

Interesting that you are interested in the Cakewalk plugins but getting a Mac since Cakewalk doesn't run on OS X without Boot Camp. But no worries, you'll find on the Cakewalk site that Rapture/Dimension etc can all be supported by Mac. Logic/Cubase are all VST compatible anyway.

You'll also find that the softsynths that comes together with Logic are pretty good too.

The number of plugins you get get depend a lot on the CPU and RAM. Midi tracks take up very little resources. The problem is when those midi tracks are playing from the plugins - if the sound source is external, you can run many (30-40 midi tracks) without any problems. But running lots of audio + plugins will be your problem. Some plugins are more CPU and RAM internsive than others. You'll have to choose which ones to use and which not to sometimes, and use the freeze function if you are sequencing. Don't expect to load too many GOOD plugins if you are going to use them simultaneously. Sometimes, one super-CPU intensive plugin suck up all the resources you need and can only run just about by itself! There's a reason why people use things like VST farms (ie lots of PCs running just VSTs linked up to one main PC).

Last edited:
Pro Tools aint no King no more. :twisted:

well if you are going to the PT route do take note, they only work with digidesign interfaces, and the M-audio ones. Thats is if you are taking the LE route. Trust me , it aint really the bang of the buck.

Just get Logic Studio, you get an awesome front line, coup with many other samples inside it. And also its signal processing is at one of the DAW's best.

i got a 2.66 duo core 5GB ram...i can run up to 32 audio tracks with 16 Midi at ease. so no worries really.. oh yea on LP7.2.

I have a portable 17" MBP with 4 gb ram and Logic Studio. Don't need anything else (apart from an external FW HD, my Audio I/O card and some sleep)... You'll probably fall in love with the softsynths and sampler that comes with Logic.... If it works, it works. No hassles... start creating, not worrying.
Good luck!
Apple - Logic Pro - Customer Success Story

Last edited:
Back