M.I. Audio: CRUNCHBOX

sleepykitty

aiya just whack ah..

456458694de9f77034esh3.jpg

M.I. Audio Crunchbox
$199

Crunchbox. Does it sound exactly like how it's name implies? Hmm..

Build/Appearance/Features

The Crunchbox is housed in a sturdy MXR-sized chassis. Owners of crowded pedalboards will absolutely adore its small and compact footprint. However those same people may gripe about the side-located ¼’ jacks, as they would rather have it top-located, so as to save valuable real estate. This however can be easily remedied by using flatheads or something similar.

3 knobs labeled Volume, Tone and Drive, a 3pdt footswitch and an LED indicator sit on the pedal’s face. A 2.1mm DC plug is located on the front. M.I. Audio also claims that the Crunchbox is wired for true-bypass.

Tones

Tested using Cort M200 -> pedalboard -> craptastic SS amp

A decent palate of tones can be coaxed using just the three knobs available. The tone knob is interactive with respect with the overall volume of the pedal. Swing the tone knob between 12 and 3 o’clock and it yields a bright and biting voice that screams with mid-range appeal, coupled with a slight volume boost. There isn’t any significant change in tone after 3 o’clock. With the tone knob anywhere before 10 o’clock, the overall tone is muddy and dark, reminiscence of sleepykitty’s bitter experience with the Toadworks John Bull. The said tone is definitely not usable in sleepykitty’s opinion.

The gain knob churns out an almost clean signal with the knob on minimum. Max it out and you get a very intense and slightly compressed distortion, with a bucketload of noise/hum f.o.c. Sleepykitty finds that the gain’s usable range to be between 10 and 3 o’clock. The mids though, are harsher in the lower drive settings but smoothens out as the drive is increased. Between this range, the tone morphs linearly from a friendly and mild blues-like od, to a crunchy and crispy palm-muting-friendly distortion. Sleepykitty can generate Jane’s Addiction’s ‘Wrong Girl’ and ‘Suffer Some’ easily with the knob somewhere near 1 o’clock.

Sleepykitty’s most preferred setting on this pedal is with both the tone knob and gain knob at 2 o’clock, with the volume knob set slightly above the amp’s unity volume.

Conclusion

The Crunchbox makes an ideal pedal for users looking for a standalone dirt unit with some midrange Marshall flavour. It’s a versatile box to say the least. This pedal has enough gain to suffice up to the heavy rock player. Metalheads need not apply.

What I like:
Small footprint
Simplicity in tweaking (3 knobs only)

What I don’t like:
Midrange presence on the WHOLE tone knob sweep
Volume pot not that linear

Well at least there's a review about the pedal. :smt023

About time someone did a review on this.
Ps. Nice pic...

hey sleepykitty,
i used to think crunchbox is used for solely the gain maxed out.. its really kick ass crazy distortion.. however it does appear the blues crunch can be used well with this pedal too..
i still chose the tubezone as its much warmer and versatile, but the crunchbox has the. kickass OMGWTHBBQ factor!!

i guess the different amps we tried it on made a difference, i tried it at ebenex with its marshall mini stack... 8)

I no like the TB. So many knobs. It just scares the shit outta me. haha.

i tried the CB through a fender frontman 25r. Quite a bright amp. But the CB did not sound too piercing thru it. Using it as a boost is also great. Put it after an mild OD and I can get biting tones.

the tone knob is quite a brutish one, starting its as a 6db cut per octave, sweeping from 15Khz to 700HZ !!

anything less than one 12o clock sounds quite...:(

Um, it says "Metal heads need not apply."
This means metal heads should not apply for the pedal, or the pedal is suited for metal heads ?

Hm, dunno lei, it has the feel of something like "Metal heads need not apply, as its obvious that its suited for metal."

My brain's telling me that. Lol. =/

Any users of Crunch Box can tell me if its suited for metal or J-Rock ?

Many thankkkkks. :)

Hm, dunno lei, it has the feel of something like "Metal heads need not apply, as its obvious that its suited for metal."

My brain's telling me that. Lol. =/

Any users of Crunch Box can tell me if its suited for metal or J-Rock ?

Many thankkkkks. :)

Might not be suitable for if you are going for death metal or something but it can still produce a good chug chug chug, think early Metallica albums. Though I run mine through a tube amp and with EMG's.

Uh yah lah... When you question the metal-ness of that pedal
you can say that the pedal does metal, as in metallica.
If Sabbath is metal to you, then the CBX is more than adequte
for the job. So still quite subjective.

But by the statement, "metalheads need not apply."
Its means its not for metalheads. probably can't use it
to get your modern metal tones from a single pedal...

Well, metal as in Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, etc. I do play GazettE songs too.
And a bit of Avenged Sevenfold.

And another question, can the pedal run on a battery?

Back