Lots of questions about starting PROJECT guitar

Firstly, i've got LOTS of ques, so if u manage to read thru them all, it would be much appreciated :) wanted to start with an old cheap/budget guitar with the electronics still working (btw, if any1 has a guitar for sale tht fits tht description, do pm me :))

Electronics
-Besides a soldering iron, wat else would you need?

-Multi-core or single coil wire?

-I read in the partscaster appreciation thread tht sum1 covered the pickup gaps with copper foil to prevent hum? Any other alternative?

Paintjob
-how do u remove the original paintjob? with solvents? (if so, wat type?) with sandpaper (if so, wat kind)

- I have done past paint jobs, which were very bad. wanted to do a pattern, so there has to be a base coat for the pattern then the top coat on top of that. The last time i did this, the 2 layers were uneven. what do i do to remedy this?

- Wat do use to mask off patterns?

- There are suppose to be a few coats of paint. but how do u noe when to
paint the next coat? do u sand between each coat? (again, wat type of sandpaper)

- Is primer necessary?

- How do u finish a paintjob? in terms of sanding(again, wat type of sandpaper), layer of laquer perhaps? (hoping to go for a flat finish)

- What kind of paint do u use? cld u also tell me the brand?

thanks for takin the time to read such a long list of ques :)

Hmmm.. for a start, I'll Link your thread to the DIY thread. Just reached home. Will get back to you soon on this.

Regarding the paint, I think there are alot of different views. while some are ok with removing the paint,such as sanding it down and then having a new coat on it, there are also others that say its better not to repaint as it affect tone.

The paint issue, as i did for my friend, i didnt remove all of the paint, i sanded down till the surface was even with rough sandpaper, then once the suface is even, start to use finer grits to make the surface somewhat smooth. Once thats down, spray thin coats of paint. Try to leave AT LEAST 24hrs between like 2-3 coats, then wet sand with wet and dry sandpaper, fine grit, just to smoothen out any bubbles and what not. Then repeat the process a few times, until you are happy with the color and finish.

Then start to shoot on layers of clear coat, thin coats, and leave time in between to let it dry fully. I think you need to wet sand it, not sure, havent gone there yet.

As for electronics, it depends on whats already in the guitar, if you are starting from scratch, you'll need pots, caps, switches, pickups and a jack, i suggest maybe sending down to an expert like beez to do the wiring.

For masking off patterns, spray the lighter colour first. You can use painters tape, those blue or green tapes, almost like masking tape, but they dont leave a residue.

This is just my 2 cents, Dont judge me! hahaha! its what i do, other people may not agree with me

For more detailed info, http://www.projectguitar.com/

Last edited:
Electronics
-Besides a soldering iron, wat else would you need?
solder(resin core i think),a holder with sponge thingy,and a sucker (to suck the unwanted solder)

-I read in the partscaster appreciation thread tht sum1 covered the pickup gaps with copper foil to prevent hum? Any other alternative?
aluminum foil tape... very cheap ard $10

Paintjob
-how do u remove the original paintjob?
pant remover?? with sandpaper (diff kind of grits)

- I have done past paint jobs, which were very bad. wanted to do a pattern, so there has to be a base coat for the pattern then the top coat on top of that. The last time i did this, the 2 layers were uneven. what do i do to remedy this?
err maybe put more layers?never had this prob b4 XP

- Wat do use to mask off patterns?
if forgot what but i know its blue in color

- There are suppose to be a few coats of paint. but how do u noe when to
paint the next coat?
when its dry???

-do u sand between each coat?
for me only if got bumps

- Is primer necessary?
not sure but i just use it XP

- How do u finish a paintjob? in terms of sanding(again, wat type of sandpaper))
fine wet sand paper (i think)^-^

layer of laquer perhaps?
yea,if not later the paint job can damage easily

- What kind of paint do u use? cld u also tell me the brand?
errr idk up to u

TS, maybe you'd like to share what project will you be starting with. it'll be easier to be specific. Eg, if you want a see through effect, you won't want to use primer but would probably use a primer to even out a solid colour coating.

YAre you planing a Make Over? a DIY partscaster? a frankenstrat? an out of the world Ikea Tabletop HelleCastpaul?

The paint issue, as i did for my friend, i didnt remove all of the paint, i sanded down till the surface was even with rough sandpaper, then once the suface is even, start to use finer grits to make the surface somewhat smooth. Once thats down, spray thin coats of paint. Try to leave AT LEAST 24hrs between like 2-3 coats, then wet sand with wet and dry sandpaper, fine grit, just to smoothen out any bubbles and what not. Then repeat the process a few times, until you are happy with the color and finish.

Then start to shoot on layers of clear coat, thin coats, and leave time in between to let it dry fully. I think you need to wet sand it, not sure, havent gone there yet.

As for electronics, it depends on whats already in the guitar, if you are starting from scratch, you'll need pots, caps, switches, pickups and a jack, i suggest maybe sending down to an expert like beez to do the wiring.

For masking off patterns, spray the lighter colour first. You can use painters tape, those blue or green tapes, almost like masking tape, but they dont leave a residue.

This is just my 2 cents, Dont judge me! hahaha! its what i do, other people may not agree with me

For more detailed info, http://www.projectguitar.com/

I dont know about you, but I feel that if you can do all the spray painting and sanding to a satisfactory level, modding the electronics and soldering shouldnt be to much of a problem, no need for the expert to do it. I just find solder and desoldering is easier than repainting.

Besides a soldering iron, you will obviously need solder! LOL. You will also need a multimeter. You probably will want to get some spare capacitors, pots and some switches to see which combi will give you the best tone personally.

I think i'm basically doing a makeover guitar. stripping away the old paint and giving it a new paint job. changing of most of the hardware. changing the electronics. dunno abt the neck tho... we'll see. hoping to do all this stuff on a strat copy.

paintwise, i was hoping to to do a matte white base coat with the pattern designs in flat black (sumfin basic). with the pickguard in black as well.

Im not saying he cant do it, im just saying that sometimes the wirings can get complicated, and if you dont know what your doing, you might burn out the pots or caps, or even short the circuit. Just saying, like i said, its in my opinion. So i mean to be on the safe side, send it to a pro. It is easy but tedious

Last edited:
i am an electrical student (albeit not a very gd 1... hehe) so i do have experience with soldering etc. but i basically know nothing of the specifics of guitar electronics.

in that case may i suggest u get a relatively new working guitar..
strip it apart & study the anatomy, assemble it back & get the feel of diying
the electronic wirings intact so u can choose to upgrade by using it as guideline

im a yamaha addict.. i have a couple of them in my arsenal too
imho they make good for both project & players' guitars per se *ahem : p

different from squier, which has closer fender specs in term of parts upgrade
for eg. yamaha pickguard not easily available/swapable, 1 volume & 1 tone control

18ae3e6a.jpg

2b7bbb81.jpg

0a3344f0.jpg

387b04e7.jpg

i'm just hoping to paint the pickguard(if tht's advisable). and is it possible to swap the bridge for lets say a wilkinson bridge? (real newb ques tht 1)

corrosivesubstanc: can leave the bridge as it is,
not too bad but if u insiston a wilko, slight adjustments needed

me not into plastic painting(no offense meant to.. :) ) but why not?
bounded/limited only by one's imagination to explore, check this pac out -

2e02ff17.jpg

Last edited:
Back