Looking for long-lost Applause bass...

harmonyriver

Hi everyone...
every now and then, for some reason, I think of my first ever bass - it only cost me SGD 90 back in 1989, and I remember polishing it, oiling the neck, putting on Dean Markley 'cryogenics' bass stings LOL!
here's another attempt to track it down - it is a red gloss body black gloss neck made in Korea Applause jazz-copy bass with passive PJ pickup config. It was given to a church mate and then passed on to ?Trinity bible college bandroom/chapel or something (between 1990 and 1993). I assume everyone who plays bass will read this forum from time to time - if anyone knows the whereabouts of this bass, pls lemme know.
If you ever read advice about never selling your first bass/guitar... well, it's true...
189781468_o.jpg

AN UPDATE on the saga of my search for my first bass...

So it has been 4 years since I posted the above original thread looking for my first bass. In the past, I have emailed Trinity College, which I have since discovered was the wrong college and they were puzzled by my email as they said they did not have a musical chapel. Recently (end of last year), it was by chance that an old friend (who happens to know the person who gave the bass away) contacted me and told me where the bass was donated to - it was TCA College (Theological Centre for Asia) (NOT the same as Trinity College, but was found by Trinity Christian Centre - that is why it was confusing). I emailed them straight away!
This is my first email to them and here is the reply:

To: TCA College Admin
Subject: Enquiry about my first bass donated to TCA chapel

"Dear Sir/Madam,
first of all, blessed Christmas and Happy New Year!
this is a long shot, but I am interested in tracking down a bass guitar that was my first bass I played in church - this is about 20 years ago, and I was hoping that it is still lying around the bible college chapel or somewhere around the college - if it is, I would be happy to replace it with an equivalent bass. Even though it is not worth very much in monetary terms (I paid approx $100 for it), this bass holds a lot of sentimental value to me.
I used it for a few years, mainly in church services, then had to sell it to a church mate - he attended your bible college in the early 90s and donated it to the chapel or worship centre. I have enclosed a 1988 photo of it (I am playing it on the right of the picture). I would be delighted if I could track it down...
The brand of the bass guitar is APPLAUSE and it has a black neck and red jazz-bass style body, with 3 control knobs."

and here is their reply:
"Thank you for your email. We have moved our Campus to Paya Lebar and most of the things are no longer with the College.
I’m sorry for not able to be of help.
Blessings,
Patricia Loke
Registrar

TCA College
School of Counselling School of Creative Arts School of Divinity School of Leadership

249 Paya Lebar Road #03-11 Trinity@Paya Lebar Singapore 409046
DID: (65) 6304 7662 Fax: (65) 6749 7197 Email: admin@tca.edu.sg www.tca.edu.sg "

So I sent another email:

"Hi Patricia,
many thanks for your quick reply!
Have you any idea at all what happened to the musical instruments when you moved campus?
Were they donated to a mission or a church?
Or were they left behind in the old building, and if this is the case, who/which college currently occupies the old TCA building?
Is there any chance you could point me to the right direction in terms of a contact person
(like someone who was in-charge during the move to the new building or the TCA musical director)
who could help me at all?
Many thanks again for all your help and I hope you can still help me in some way with some answers:)"

And here is the reply:

"I’m sorry. I cannot be of help as there is a movement of personnel after all these years.
Blessings,
Patricia Loke
Registrar"

So I sent yet another email:
"Thanks Patricia! It is a bit disappointing, as it sounds like the bass is not even being used for college chapel services.
If the current director of the college knows any information (e.g. the name of the previous college director during the move to Paya Lebar), I would greatly appreciate it and will try and contact the previous director directly.
Would the current Trinity Church pastor know about it? Or Pastor Dowdy? I may try contacting them directly.
My email address has not changed for nearly 20 years old already so if If you ever come across any info by any chance, pls keep me in mind! Many thanks again and happy new year! "

AND..... FIVE MONTHS LATER - there is NO further reply from TCA college or any follow-up email. :(
I don't really want to shoot another email as it may be borderling harrassment or they may think I am some loony tune....
SO if anyone out there knows the whereabouts of my first bass, could u please lemme know? The description is in the first thread above - just shoot me a PM - many thanks in advance!

i dont miss my first bass, in fact i am glad that i get rid of it, that bloody tgm, i miss my rbx though, that chunky neck that i thought i will hate, who would tought i missed that feeling

Back