Logical choice?

Tripper

heya all.

Just wondering if anyone here is using Logic Audio. Hows does it compare to say Digital performer or Pro tools in your work enviornment? Realistic plug-ins count? Quality of the plugs?

Comments?

I have been using Logic Audio Gold for a number of years now - migrated from Cakewalk Pro. Although the learning curve can be a little steep, once you get used to it, it works like a dream. Never used ProTools and Digital Performer. Plug-ins are great and easy to use.

Sadly, Emagic has now stopped producing PC versions of their softwares. I´m glad that the support for PC users are still going on, but I´m not sure how long that will go for.

i took forever to reply, so sorry.

thanxs for that. been looking at logic as a alternative to digital performer. i´ve been using DP for awhile now, and i´ve never really liked it. as for pro tools, i think the MIDI still has a ways to go. logic looks real slick thou..

icon_razz.gif

not to woried abt the PC thingy coz i´m a mac user myself.. thou i do think pro tools is moving more towards the PC route..which sucks balls.
icon_biggrin.gif

really? No more support on PC for Logic?

Attachments

• GM_DWD_LoRes.jpg
    GM_DWD_LoRes.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 632
  • green_monster.jpg
    green_monster.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 496
Yup. We saw it coming when Apple took over Emagic. Logic 6.0 is only for Mac. However, I´m pleasantly surprised that they did release a new update patch for PC lately (5.5.1). But I think that is going to be the last update for PC ever.

In doing so , they are losing customers for logic! Are they doing this to increase sales of Macs? However, I suppose it would be quite wierd for Apple to have a product that supports any PC platform. Sigh.....

Unfortunately, I believe they found out that majority of PC users uses pirated Logic (something like 50% of the users) as compared to the Mac version. The Mac versions accounted for more than 65% of Emagic´s revenue. I think one of the reason they did that is because it is not feasible to support the PC version. Those who suffer are people like us who pay a lot of $$$ for the original program and are now left hanging to wonder whether we should buy a Mac or switch to another program...

<font size=-1>[ Edited by Cheez On Date _MONTHDATETIME ]</font>

Attachments

• Mr Bill.jpg
    Mr Bill.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 392
So what do you think people like me should do? I have never had a software based sequencer but i was gona get Logic because it is the overwhelming fave seq of choice in europe/uk and all my favourite music was done by people useing it. I already have a Pentium 4, altho not configured for music as yet.

Should I get a MAC and Logic? And learn a new platform AND sequencer at the same time? (also more $$$)

Should I stick to my PC and settle for Cubase SX?

Any other alternative?

Attachments

• citymusic_year_end_sale_2019.jpg
    citymusic_year_end_sale_2019.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 11,580
Everybody got their own favourites. If you´re only going for sequencing, a PC platform is more than sufficient (and cheaper too). Options are Sonar, Cubase, Protools, Logic etc.

With the money you spend on a Mac, you can probably get a really fast PC with SCSI drives and lots of RAM - and probably still pay less. I would rather spend the extra $ on plug-ins, VSTi and samples. But then, the Mac hardly crashes like the dreaded Windows.

If you´re going PC, then I think you can forget Logic and go for Cubase or Sonar. If you´re really going for budget, you can download Protools Free at http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/. The free version gives you 8 tracks of audio and 48 tracks of MIDI. Includes some plug-ins. Don´t think it support ASIO. Depending on the type of music you´re making, that may be sufficient. Doesn´t support Windows XP though. But my experience is that Windows 98 is still the most stable Windows for DAW.

Attachments

• LickByNeck.jpg
    LickByNeck.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 89
>> But then, the Mac hardly crashes like the dreaded Windows

I doubt a PC will crash more than a MAC if used in a professional manner - ie no internet connection, no word processor, no games, no pirated software.

Just stick to original sequencers and softsynths. You´ll be alright.

jk

Attachments

• logicprox.jpg
    logicprox.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 260
My PC is a dedicated DAW with all original programs, no IE, no other programs, tweaked to the max for DAW use only. And it still crashes sometimes albeit very rare. The problem is the danger of it giving a BSOD or something like that during a recording session. Most of the time it doesn´t. When it does, it causes a lot of headache. But having said that, I´m still sticking with PC because of cost. Recording at home is OK. But I tremble with fear when I have to do live...
icon_confused.gif

Attachments

• sph_sing_comp.jpg
    sph_sing_comp.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 174
cheez, you use your PC live? Dearie me.... you are a brave soul! I remember when i used to play live and had to load patches into my synth via cassette tape inbetween sets. Nightmare.

Anyway, how much would a mac cost, say a G4 dual processor incl monitor? I might want to have both platforms ie the mac for running logic and protools and the PC for other things like softsynths, internet.

Attachments

• COVID_music_Survey.jpg
    COVID_music_Survey.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 255
Well, I really don´t like to use my PC live but I was forced to when somebody requested the sound of my samples live. No choice. It wasn´t a laptop and it was no fun bringing my tower casing and monitor around.
icon_confused.gif

As for a G4 Dual processor, you can check the cost at www.apple.com. I think the latest one is out clocking at 1.42GHz. I don´t think it´s cheap. Just wondering, why would you want to use Logic and Protools together on one machine?

Attachments

• campaign-like-clockwork-mix-contest-1.jpg
    campaign-like-clockwork-mix-contest-1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 231
Good question! Why would I? Well, basically Protools is a bit behind on the MIDI side of things so i would use Logic for that. Also, since i can´t use 1 computer for everything, instead of getting another PC, might as well see what the mac has to offer? Use that for music ONLY and the PC for everyday things. Good question tho, got me thinking!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

On 2003-05-06 16:39, parablue74 wrote:

If you want to do live, get a sampler.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I´m already using a sampler - Gigastudio. I gather you mean hardware samplers, but they can´t even come close to realism compared to Gigastudio (especially orchestral music). And they can´t load gigabytes of samples either.

Back