Local music >> Foreign Music

sfz

Personally after listening to the bands yesterday @ the HopeJam carnival, I felt an urgency for us, local music fanatics (I don't know how many of you are as driven as I am) to boycott foreign music, ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Okay, our idols, be it whichever metal star, rock star from your dad's era, or whoever - has already influenced us in a way or another. Maybe it's the impatience in me towards my band - (because we're not capable of penning down good originals yet) that has drove me to conclude that we've enough local music talents, in the form of these indie bands.

I feel that being unrecognized is an absolute stinking feeling, and one eventually gets sick of that despite the burning passion to continue. After yesterday's performance, I really thought it made no sense that we're still having stupid rapping, hiphop shit hogging all the airtime on our local radio stations one after another. That primarily explains my boycott of 98.7fm for good, i either listen to my own CD compilations when i'm driving, or it's always the few thousand songs I've in my computer, nothing off the radio anymore!

We've had our piece of pie on the music industry by local musicians (bands), with The Padres, Humpback Oak, Concave Scream to lately, Electrico and The Observatory. But is that enough? I think we have at least 200 bands in Singapore who think they should deserve something better than just running around gigs year in and out.

I feel that established music companies are too obsessed with the M-factor ($$$) than scouting real talents. That's pure sick. I think there should be a music revolution someday in Singapore (i don't know when) where our local rockers should be given full attention, and not just sidekicks to imported music anymore. If grooming culture is what Singapore wants, why aren't we following the footsteps of Japan? Just look at their booming music industry, even the underground bands are gaining recognition so quickly because the companies there DARE to invest in them, but sadly not ours'.

I hope, (I CAN ONLY HOPE) that someday somehow, someone will get the ball rolling, and allow our local music to hog the airtime on our local stations, better still, have a all-local music station.

I'm a proud fan of local music, yes, even to the extend of being called a music nazi - but because I strictly adhere to my genre preferences; it's all good. Singapore music must not be defeated by imported crap anymore.

Rock and roll lives on, forever. Pop is dead 8)

sfz

(edited, thanks to soft's reminder :p)

sfz, yesterday=HopeJam?

i understand your feeling and that's what SOFT hope to work towards.

but dont boycott foreign music, we learn from each others. :lol:

soft said:
sfz, yesterday=HopeJam?

i understand your feeling and that's what SOFT hope to work towards.

but dont boycott foreign music, we learn from each others. :lol:

Hehe, i thought i forgot my password here, but managed to retrieve it (phew!).

Erm, yes hopejam was great, check out the photos i took!

Ahh the boycott i mentioned are the newer-generation genres, okay.. i don't wanna be criticized for being a music-nazi, but yeah.. ever since Smashing Pumpkins disbanded (pop kill rock scenario), i've never ventured into music of this era, everything's from 60 - 90s for me ever since :)

yes bro, which website? if it's my website - my url is currently down.. domain had some problem with my credit card. GRR.

Singaporeans can get narrow minded at times, placing the importance of money above many, many other things which we should be looking at already. Instead of getting into the Whys of my statement, which I believe most of you do know already...I'd just like to state a few 'ways' which i think can help most chronic victims of capitalism move to the next level:

1) Take most of your pay, and give it to your loved ones. By saying Give, i mean you don't get to see that money again.

2) Get your hands on something which records audio (mic or line-in), and document your jamming sessions. Archive.

3) Send your demos to the most petty, struggling, incompetent, short-sighted, insignificant, misguided labels you can find in Singapore.

4) To cut things short, Give it Away Now (RHCP).

Stop taking from others, start giving music, don't expect anything to happen, go where your heart tells you, ignore your capitalist-bred mind, be honest with yourselves, love people, Say what you wanna say (Dancing Nancies), Respect others, let things be, chin up, cherish your past experiences and get the hell out of the well if you're a frog.

Oh yeah, I think its a good point saying that we should stop listening to foreign music and just concentrate on local music. You extremist :wink:
But hey, the Japanese have so many talented people creating, emulating and re-inventing genres of music Their way. Question now becomes, do any of us need more time to absorb 'foreign' music to create, emulate, reinvent music? Nah, but why not?

Hehe, i derived some mixed feeling from your reply, but on the whole it still looks like you're on my side! 8)

Well, personally having more than 3 handful of favourite bands and reluctantly exposed to rock since i was crawling (thanks dad, he loved noise from led zeppelin, bad company and deep purple) - i can gladly reiterate that i'm already fed with what i've needed. Creativity (playing own music) is the next thing i can GIVE back to music. :)

I hope everyone else is doing it too (and get the fair share of recognition from our very biased major record companies)

Hi sfz,

A good way to kickstart this declaration of love would to be go out and buy several albums. Those bands that you have mentioned have albums out in the market. The best way to support them is to buy the album and make sure that they are financially in the black to be able to record more material in the future.

:D

I will definately buy Ugly in the morning's and.. EIC's.

EIC is a band with a bunch of funny and cool dudes man

I like the fiona song. Hahah damn cute man.

"Boing boing boing boinggg"

Hehe, yeah, i do collect local cds ;)

E.I.C was great, i even visited their website and realised they did some covers, songs like Stand By Me was okay, but what amazed me was The Cure's Friday In Love; they made me fell in love with them! :lol:

ironic that on one hand, you are championing local bands, and on the other hand, you tell us that you fell in love with a local band because of a foreign song it covered.

Just an interesting observation. No offence :)

Vaiyen said:
ironic that on one hand, you are championing local bands, and on the other hand, you tell us that you fell in love with a local band because of a foreign song it covered.

Just an interesting observation. No offence :)

well, they had a couple of good originals (check out their webby), but i'm amazed that someone actually played an old song like "Friday in Love", from an older band which i think noone of my age actually listened to! That kinda really caught my attention yea :)

well ...

my 5 cents worth.

by "creating" a local onli market , you effectively kill off people's interest. besides, whats the point of forcing people to buy local ? its detrimental to the local music scene .

think about this way. the world works cos money talks. if ya cant produce something that would make the world buy it. its either cos u aint good enuf or the people just dun like it

thus, you have two options, improve urself or influence the people

i m not saying that local music is bad or anything. in fact i respect and follow the local music scene alot. but as in any industry, competition builds and encourages better , more creative and much newer and experimental sound.

the day local music becomes more popular than foreign imports , is the day when truly , the local music scene has matured

encourage people to go local , dun force them.

sfz said:
have a all-local music station.

hey, great idea!!!
there should be one, it'll be cool.
then the station will not only play fav. local music, but bands and other musicians can send in their demos and get the ppl's response.
wow.
is the radio idea possible?
hmm... :?:

In our own mind, we'll think a garage radio station is cool. But in real life, the airwaves are regulated. What you hear on the radio has being sanitised for "your own good". You cannot suka suka play anything you want to, just like that.

Also that is just one part. The other part is where is the money gonna come from to run such a station??? I always put the money question up first whenever there is an idea which require so, cuz no money, no talk, fact of life.

We have to work our way however slow towards a common goal. Local music have a chance, but have to work it a step at a time. You need general acceptance first, and a form of identity.

Back