Learning Keyboard using Guitar???

Mr_KeyboardMan

Long Long Ago in FAR FAR AWAY LAND

An old acquintances of mine(He plays damn GOOD) told me to practise Guitar Solo Improvisation on the Keyboard to handle Keyboard solo. The result are great.

Has anyone improved by using other instruments?

Anyone done this before? Share your experience ....

Hi There,

practise guitar solos on piano? play guitar lines ? is that wat u mean?

I haven't pratised piano using other instruments, but I have drawn influences frm various instruments to incorporate into my playing

I use alot of guitar strum patterns in my accompaniment, cos often it's syncopated n adds alot more groove to the music; Got this bit of inspiration of a very gd jazz pianist by the name of Brad Mehldau, who says he takes alot of stuff tat guitarists play to the piano n it sounds great

also I tend to think alot in terms of bass n drums patterns/riffs/fill-ins, these are the kinda things that buildup n make the music groove in a band, alot of these musical devices can b applied to piano playing as well; it's often useful to think of the keyboard as a band or orchestra, instead of just one instrument, so that one can b more imaginative n dare to do more with it

for jazz solos, I once had a teacher who said "it's better to learn solos frm wind players, eg sax, trumpet, simply cos they need to breathe, n hence tend to phrase better n play more totful lines, unlike pianists, who run n try to play every line they could" (so true, haha)

Regards,
KJ

I tend to think alot in terms of bass n drums patterns/riffs/fill-ins, these are the kinda things that buildup n make the music groove in a band, alot of these musical devices can b applied to piano playing as well; it's often useful to think of the keyboard as a band or orchestra, instead of just one instrument, so that one can b more imaginative n dare to do more with it

for jazz solos, I once had a teacher who said "it's better to learn solos frm wind players, eg sax, trumpet, simply cos they need to breathe, n hence tend to phrase better n play more totful lines, unlike pianists, who run n try to play every line they could" (so true, haha)

He he he ... U and me think alike, Mate ... btw who's your teacher? mine told me the same thing about a sax player ... Boney James style and solo is great for playing smooth jazz (but not Kenny G)... charlie parker composition and solo is also a great learning resource(used to listen and play his solo)

haha cool; I learnt most of the stuff on my own; studied jazz for a while under this jazz pianist (better not to mention names, I m not a gd student, haha) and he made the remark abt solos.

Yeah, Charlie Parker's th guy to learn all the licks frm; he was one of the first to experiment with all the different scales n "out" notes u could play over a progression in a solo

Kenny G is jus a whiny horn player haha; jazz musicians never accepted tat he was part of jazz community, n he never was anyway. He's phrasing n playing is too simplistic

Do you play pro/semi-professionally ? play jazz ?

P.S: if u r into jazz solo piano, check out Chick Corea n Keith Jarret's solo albums, they play pretty cool grooves with their left hand

Regards,
KJ

Yeah I play jazz and latin on the piano and a bit of Double Bass... even though my band plays mostly funk. But only started playing and learning jazz like 4 years ago after my exams(Been changing teachers, learning from friends and Churchmates and self-taught). And I don't play professionally, still studying lah ( I'm 19 this year) ...

I listen to Chick Corea as well. Keith Jarret licks are kinda rhythmic( like Swing drumming pattern) yet Soulful.

Speaking of Left hand, I like to simulate a bass player on my left hand while my right hand runs WILD. Use the split function on the keyboard and set double bass on the left and piano on the right . Add a jazz drum accompaniment and there you have it ... your Jazz band ...
I do this for funk as well and bass solo oso.

I guess the good thing being a keyboardist is that we can learn and simulate from other instrument.

For guitars, i learnt from licks from John petrucci, Yngwie J Malmsteen(If you are learnt classical piano, you'll find his licks and classical piano scaling and modes finger exercises awfully familiar) and the likes and then when i simulate it with keyboard i uses SYN LEAD patches with pitch bender and modulator.

AAA ... I WANT A KURZWEIL AND I WANT TO SOUND LIKE JORDAN RUDESS(Btw, lots of his keyboard solo is simulating electric guitar as well). But still long way to go. *** SIGH ***

Back