keys/synths/samplers/prog.s/wtfuzz?!

hotmetal

hello beautiful people!
i just needed some real good advice and information on exactly what instrument im looking for.

im actually a guitarist/vocalist but ive really been wanting to learn the keyboard and digital stuff, like how to get samples playing, creating new sounds and what not.

now here lies my dilemma, what instrument/program or whatever will help me be able to make new sounds, play keys, play samples or sound clips and just do a bunch of weird digital shit.
afew examples of stuff im pointing at are nevea tears, underoath(that fat guy's noize), emarosa's faint synth/keys, dr. acula's digital shit, grindcore bands with movie/sound clips)

honestly im just a noob kcufhead so dont hate! haha ;)
i'd really appreciate the help guys, thanks so much yea :)

stay beautiful!

[QUOTE=hotmetal

If you are talking about making new sounds, playing "wierd digital shit" haha.. my PERSONAL recommendation would be a nord wave. haha.. Wouldnt say too much lest i get pointed for advertising! haha.. I'm saying this as a nord fan. But yea, u get to tweak sounds/waveforms really easily on that and add in loads of effects to get one-of-a-kind rich sounds that u can save n recall in the future. Doesnt help that it is darn sexy too. :)

hotmetal, if the sticky doesn't answer your question, post here again. We'll help you get your answer. :)

hahaha actually, it helped me alot! thanks cheez for taking the time to type out all that and start a thread helping everyone out! ;)

i do have 1 question though
cause im pretty set on getting the microKorg XL,
does anyone know whether it can work as a sampler?
or have sequencing/sampling capabilities?
i think it does but im not very sure.
thanks loads! :D

sorry but i tried searching but havent got any answers to what vsti stands for ):
help??
soo i shouldnt get the microkorg, just that program? do i need a controller or something?

A DAW with a bunch of free VSTIs is usually more flexible than a single hardware synth.

VSTI stands for virtual studio technology instruments. They are basically software synths that you can load on a digital audio workstation like ableton live 8 mentioned above. You will need a midi controller (e.g a midi enabled keyboard) to play the virtual instrument (well you can use the DAW to "enter" the notes 1 by 1, but that's a different story).

My suggestion is that you visit Sinamex which have the softwares and midi controllers to try out. Then go down to Citymusic which is nearby to play with the Microkorg to see which one is more suited to your needs.

If you need to do live outside, any big three workstation keyboard is better.
Most have sampling capability, and environment(call Performance mode or Seq mode) for live performance.

Back