Keyboard

Someone83

Currently, using PSR E403 and going to buy a new keyboard soon. But, not sure which model to buy. Perhaps, can get some suggestions here? =P

I'm considering of getting DGX620, PSR1500 or PSR S700. Hoping to get one with better sound quality, which can be linked to my PC for recording/composing purpose.

With the current E403, I seem to have problem interfacing the recorded data to my PC, using USB. Does anyone know how? The instruction manual is unclear. =(

Last edited:
The USB only transfer some data like midi to and from your E403 and keyboard. It does not transmit any audio signals. So when you say "recorded data", I hope you don't mean recording audio. That is not possible. You'll need to connect the audio outputs of your keyboard to you PC via an audio interface.

As for the models you are referring to, they are all arranger keyboards with auto-accompaniment functions (although the DGX has fewer arrangment functions compared to the PSR). If this is what you want, fine. But you mentioned PC "recording/composing". If you mean to sequence tracks, then maybe auto-accompaniment is not necessary to you. If this is the case, then you don't have to go for any of the arranger keyboards and can consider other synths. I believe the Yamaha S08 and S03 synths are on clearance sale now. They emailed me their ad. These are possible options.

Oh.. Thanks Cheez. I'm a noob on such technical stuff. =) So, does that means that I'll need to get USB Audio interfaces to transfer the audio files to pc ? Any idea if UW10 or UW500 will work? Or any recommendations?

Hi, I think let's not get confused by the term "transferring audio". What Cheez meant is to get the audio interface to do line-in recording (as a dump or via track by track if you have a software multi-track). By getting an audio interface does not allow you to "transfer" "audio data" into the PC. You'll need to do recording, no "drag-and-drops". So unless you are ready for recording (with softwares) then the interface will be handy. But if you are not sure, best is not jump into buying one.

However, this is not true for better workstations. For example, the KORG M3 allows "drag and drop" of .wav files directly into your PC or external hard-disk and vice versa. So the above isn't a "true-for-all" statement. But for your case, it's not going to happen.

Hi someone, you first need to decide what you are really looking for in your next requisition, meaning are you looking for an arranger or synth workstation?

I'm into arrangers for a while and I feel that I'm like a band leader interacting/coordinating with "my members" (the preset styles) when I play. When I was working with synth workstations, I saw my part as a composer/arranger who has to piece up instrument parts to make a song. So, what's your expectation?

Yes, "transferring audio" is confusing and not a useful term. Just take it as simple recording - like recording into a tape player. Except in this case, your PC is your "tape player".

And yes, something like UW10 will do, although you don't have to stick to the Yamaha brand. You have lots of options (many of them affordable), like those from M-audio for example. You want an audio interface that connects easily with minimal fuss. UW10, for example, uses RCA. That is fuss - RCA on one end of a cable and 1/4" jack on the other end that connects to your keyboard (which means you need a converter).

Ermz... sorry for e confusion.. haha.. for now, i just need a simple recording function from kb to pc, in audio format like wav. but seems like, only PSR-S900 has the usb audio interface function which can be directly linked to pc.

my fren actually suggested buying cables and jet to connect from the kb phones output to pc mic input and record by using Windows Movie Maker. but not sure if it is workable.

Yes, you can connect directly to your PC input. You don't use Movie Maker - just use the windows Recorder to record. You'll get lousy results though. If you are not planning to come up with a CD, that's workable. When I first started recording, it's all on cassette tape with terrible sounds. But learned a lot in the process. Still have those tapes collecting dust somewhere...

Back