Keyboard for beginner

irishblue

I´m just starting basic keyboard classes and would like to purchase a set to practice on. Which would be a good brand to go for for a beginner like me - Roland, Yamaha or...? I do not really need a synthesizer. It´s just for home use and can be used for the more advanced lessons too when I progress. Are there any models in particular any of you could recommend? I would really appreciate it
icon_smile.gif

Attachments

• Lincoln_Lim.jpg
    Lincoln_Lim.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 710
wats your budget? if u want a entry level keys... i started out with a casio... good for learnin, teachin

Attachments

• Voices-of-Youth-poster-v7.jpg
    Voices-of-Youth-poster-v7.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 205
i use a triton and a micro korg. If you need to do real piano work, full size keys and a wide octave range should work fine. But, if you´re on a budget and looking to do some electronic music, something like a micro korg, a computer and a sequencer will do wonders for your hobby.

Attachments

• drum_off.jpg
    drum_off.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 284
YAMAHA DJX or DJX II

They cost around 300-400, less if used. It has everything in it, good sounds for a beginner, and it has basic but fun sampler. It has knobs styled on the synthesizers of today for easy sound manipulaton. I think it has a sequencer even but double check. It´s got built in speakers like home keyboards but still looks cool, and no need to buy monitors. Yet.

I´ve seen it on pro musicians home setups only coz it´s cheap , easy to use and sounds good. So you don´t have to get rid of it when you are no longer a beginner.

Other than that, any digital keyboard with MIDI is fine. Try before you buy.

Attachments

• SW2018.jpg
    SW2018.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 721
YAMAHA DJX or DJX II

Good choice. I second this unless you are into jazz or classical music (and maybe opera).

Attachments

• Jacintha_Fire_Rain.jpg
    Jacintha_Fire_Rain.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 671
Thanks for all the recommendations guys
icon_smile.gif
My budget is less than 700. I was looking through the musicplaza online store and found this model in my budget range: Yamaha Portatone DGX-200. Is this one of those headhunter and lowjk suggested?

What is a safe octave range or number of keys I should get at least? Where can I find Korg or Roland distributors locally?

Attachments

• STÄRKER.jpg
    STÄRKER.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 626
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

On 2003-03-12 22:35, irishblue wrote:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys
icon_smile.gif
My budget is less than 700. I was looking through the musicplaza online store and found this model in my budget range: Yamaha Portatone DGX-200. Is this one of those headhunter and lowjk suggested?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

In a word. No. The DGX200 is not the same as the DJX.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>What is a safe octave range or number of keys I should get at least?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

As lowjk says, it would help a lot if you could give more information on what kind of music you are into, and is this going to be your only keyboard and if you need it to hook up to computer, etc. Give as much info as possible.

For starters, if you are still starting out and learning to play the keyboard, and you want to play with both hands (like piano solo) then you need at least a full sized 61 key (5 octave) standard keyboard, weighted action if possible but i doubt if your budget would allow this. There are plenty of these around. If used, then 700 can get you quite good stuff.

If you just want to input chords, bass, lead ,etc into your computer one at a time then and portability and space are a concern then shorter 49keys (4 octave) will suffice. From the top of my head these include the oxygen 8 (no sounds but can connect via usb direct to your PC) or novation bass station (monophonic, nice bass sounds).

Attachments

• songwriter_openhouse.jpg
    songwriter_openhouse.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 585
Where can I find the DJX models? I didn´t see them at music plaza or luther music.

I do not think I need one that can hook up to the comp. A weighted action one would be nice. Does it mean you feel the pressure of the keys when you press on them? lol i´m not familiar with the terminology
icon_razz.gif
Are the DGX ones considered weighted?

The kind of music I´m into would most probably include traditional irish music, new age, ballads, rock.

which musicplaza did u go to? i think i so 1 at plaza sing... somewhere near the synth areas i think.... where they showcase the mics n stuff... sorry if im wrong... anyway happy hunting

Attachments

• IbanezTQMM.jpg
    IbanezTQMM.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 569
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

On 2003-03-15 02:17, irishblue wrote:

Where can I find the DJX models? I didn´t see them at music plaza or luther music.

I do not think I need one that can hook up to the comp. A weighted action one would be nice. Does it mean you feel the pressure of the keys when you press on them? lol i´m not familiar with the terminology
icon_razz.gif
Are the DGX ones considered weighted?

The kind of music I´m into would most probably include traditional irish music, new age, ballads, rock.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

irishblue, the music plaza in which i saw the yamaha DJX´s is quite a big place, with piano section and also d contemporary section ... drums, synths, samplers, guitars, etc. Did you find that section? If so, and d DJX is still nowhere in sight, your best bet is to ask the staff if it is still in stock or even , still in production! It´s been awhile since i been in there.

Sorry but i am not familiar with the DGX model. However, if it is weighted action and is within your budget , then by all means.

So your music is more into the traditional side... not much use for then for twiddling knobs to open up the filter and sampling, which is what the DJX does well as it is more DANCE oriented. In that case, may i suggest the Korg XD5. It has all the sounds you need for rhodes, organs, etc but maybe not so good with irish instruments. It costs well under 700 . Check with citymusic if still in stock and if not, ask for a recommendation.

ALso, it´s keys are not weighted and in fact are rather cheesy and light. It´s a trade off for the price. There are two kinds of weighted action. One is plastic keys that are heavier than normal keys. The other is piano-weighted action, it mimics the action of a grand piano, u can identify them cos they´re mostly made of wood. I don´t think you can get any kind of piano weighted action keyboard for less than a grand and probrably much more. Look at the Kurzweil PC2 at citymusic. Good bread and butter sounds, weighted action and hopefully, on sale!
icon_biggrin.gif

Attachments

• Norman Poster_A4_Potrait_v3.jpg
    Norman Poster_A4_Potrait_v3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all the suggestions ya all! I really appreciate it
icon_smile.gif
I´ve more or less settled on the Yamaha DGX-200. I´m not sure if it is weighted, but it does have a portable grand piano feature and the keys are more solid than a Casio´s. I don´t plan to keep upgrading when new models come out, I just need a good set that lasts. So I chose this over the PSR-200.

I went down to Luther´s to take a look. The staff were very helpful, friendly and sincere. I´m gonna get it in a day or two
icon_biggrin.gif

Attachments

• sgsw2020.jpg
    sgsw2020.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 230
Glad to hear it Irishblue. The important thing is you tried it out for yourself and nothing can beat hands on testing. Good luck and happy playing!
icon_smile.gif

Attachments

• ben_hum_super_pets.jpg
    ben_hum_super_pets.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 376
Back