Jumping back into the music production scene - LOTS of questions!

nikolaiski

Hello all!

Lately, I have been thinking of jumping back into the business of music productiong after having previously sold my equipment, with the problem being that my tools were never that great or expansive to start with.

Mainly a classical musician by trade, I have only scored and arranged music outside the classical arena using GM, GS and a Yamaha Electone as a keyboard.

However, I am much more serious this time round, and I am thinking of purchasing the proper equipment, and seeing as to how I outgrow my equipment quickly, I'm going to go for broke.

My ideal setup would be one or two different synths connected to a laptop so i can score via Cakewalk, Cubase and so on in that fashion..but with the advent of such things like the Fantom G and OASYS, do I really need a computer, or can I get the quality of sounds AND effects of the top of the line synths/workstations in a lesser synth?

I see that there are TONS of effects to be hand in these new synths. Question is, can I harness them 100% when I score via computer, ie. do not record live, but edit by zooming into each track, note for note..

Finally, i would like to hear the opinions of those using the OASYS, M3 or the v-synth gt, as I can't really decide which one's better for me (before I go down....)

Take note that I am pretty much using this for underground, dance/house music and i am an analog fan, and I love combining analog with mono tracks like violin, piano or oboe recorded live.

hope this is not too long/confusing, and any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm, with a workstation synth, the power is in hands-on (no mouse clicking) arrangements. However, the effects are limited by the number of chains you are allowed to apply (e.g. the M3 has 5 chains + 2 sub + 1 overall totaling up to 8 efx processing at one go; not sure about V-synth). With software, it all boils down to RAM; you can have "unlimited" efx processing and many things going at the same time, but if you run of of RAM; you'll get choppy... laggy... and worse... hang.

I think in an age like this, you can look into integrating both. And dance music screams Ableton Live!... you might want to look into it too on top of Cubase for your normal multi-tracking. Check out Reaktor 5 as well. With software integration, you might look into an audio interface. And with live acoustic instrument integration, you'll probably need a good one and possibly also need a (tube)pre-amp (to warm up all your synths and to get clarity and nuances for your acoustic instruments).

do I really need a computer, or can I get the quality of sounds AND effects of the top of the line synths/workstations in a lesser synth?
I can give you the best synth in the world but if you can't work it, sounds will come out crap. I can give you a Casio toy keyboard (as of all chip tune trends nowadays), and you can make the most fabulous music with it. Cliche? No... there's a lot of great artists out there who is still working on old gears and even a microKORG can do wonders. Quality of sounds is not directly dependent on how advance your gear is but really depends on how keen your ears are and how skillful you are in bring that sound out.

The 3 synths you are looking at are all good synths. Oasys is abit on the higher end. You don't really need a "high-end" synth to do "serious" music. Try the V-synth or M3 (both are good for dance music (with good controls for modulating, filtering your sounds). And with the money you saved (from not buying the Oasys) you can buy an analogue synth (I am selling some vintage soon :p) but my recommendation is the MOOG Little Phatty (from MrMisse - you interested I can pass you his contact). If you have the moola to splurge get a VOYAGER (oooo those touch pad)... I think you'll have a lot of fun with a v-synth/M3 + Moog LP combination (that is about a $4k-$6k set-up depending on how many keys you are getting). If you are not into manual sync'ing, you can get a CV to MIDI to hook up all your analogue with digital and they can all sync with your workstation.

Hope I've helped... :)

Last edited:
hmm...might I ask, what is lacking in the original V-Synth compared to the V-Synth GT?

Does the V-Synth have what the SH-101/201, Jupiter-8/Juno 106 can do? I LOVE those synths..but I need them in the convenience of ONE unit, with some sacrifices of course :eek:)

I'm not too enthu. about the D-Beam, so as long as 90% of the stuff is there, I'd go for this!

Hi niko, I'm not familiar with the v-synth. I had wanted to get hold of the v-synth coz I'm a worshipper of the D50. You might like to check out roland's dedicated site for both synths or roland clan to post your query about them.

Dropped by Swee Lee today, and as expected, received @$%@#! service - waited one whole hour for just to get a price on the V-Synths where they finally said that they had no expertise on the subject.

Unfortunately, no V-Synth GT on display, but they have a new set going for just under $5K

I also dropped by City Music where I was very impressed with the polite staff and the Korg M3, but I still can't figure out what makes the OASYS so expensive, especially that the analog capabilities aren't as nice as the Roland's SH201. Then again it could have been my lack of manupilation skills..lol

Looks like it'll be the Roland for me..but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy it from Swee Lee

Back