Jazz

pianomankris

OK so most of the people in the keyboard section seem to want to learn some jazz theory ;)

I'll post some info.

First things first - those who want to learn, let me know, and tell me, theoretically, the EXACT level you are at, and we'll build from there, rather than 'going from scratch'.

I imagine there will be about 4 or 5 people here who want to learn jazz?

Cheers guys.

Don't forget guitarists (and others :))

I want to know about jazz playing approaches in general, but I am particularly interested in unusual sounds and also trying to understand what it means to play 'outside' and bringing it back again.

In terms of level, I've been playing for 22 years. I know intermediate music theory I suppose. I can read music (real time sight reading sucks though). I know scales and how to construct chords from them, maj7ths, dom7ths, min7ths, altered dominants etc.. Recently been working on 9ths, 13ths and voice leading concepts, but in terms of their application I am at a rudimentary stage. I have been learning jazz for about a year. I know how to 'pop and play' over chord progressions such as ii V Is, I know the circle of 5ths kinda ;), I have learned how to do simple substitutions such as tritone and half-step leading type. Been shown many common progressions, been struggling to really nails Autumn Leaves really in depth, been recently shown rhythm changes, How High The Moon (so I can learn how to cycle between keys), some melodic minor modes and a whole load of other stuff that falls out of my brain on the way home from my lesson to my house. I have a teacher whom I visit a couple of times a month and am hoping that this thread can augment what I am learning there.

I would like to heard some. I am not in jazz mood. But later of the year on I still touch jazz. I think it is unavoidable. I am going to touch a jpop jazz song by Shiina Ringo. My knowledge and skill is up to common time,compound time,"safe" colour chord up to 13th, syncopation, dotted rhythm,modulation. Major scale,natural minor scale and scale mode is my common usage . Blue scale and other scale touch but no able to put in use. I cannot read fake sheet. Can read any chord (base on "ABRSM notation" and "american style notation")only and know the note involved.

Play genre: Jpop like ballad,rock and R&B mainly: Hamasaki Ayumi songs.
I did wrote a swing timing song with all the "safe" chords. Can walk a little bass.

Last edited:
I think.. instead of just putting in words what you think you can play, an audio clip will allow more critical evaluation, assuming the person's reaaally serious about this.

Words are fine, they'll do the job for now.

Any problems can be talked through in the thread.

Are you personally wanting to learn jazz, or are you just 'passing through' this thread, and felt inclined to comment?

Hey pianomankris,

I think its great that you're willing to share info with us. Are you really located in Scotland??

I am really interested in jazz, have been doing stuff for about 3 years now, really enjoying the process. i can sight read big band and combo charts ok, and improvise off the fake book ok, but harmony is really where I consider myself weakest. I can do substitutions and reharmonizing, but will need to work these out beforehand if they are to sound interesting (not just the standard tritone subs, etc). I wouldnt dare to play something with solo jazz piano approach (my LH is primarily bill evans-type rootless voicings) and absolutely no idea what to do if I have to play a jazz piece by myself on piano, unless its a ballad in which case I will have time to play the bass note first followed by the chord. How do I approach 2-handed voicings (and keep things interesting) is I guess my weakness.

I read in a recent Downbeat article where Martial Solal criticized McCoy Tyner for his solo piano playing. if even Tyner makes mistakes, what hope is there for us mere mortals??

Anywayz, will be happy and eager to learn from your wisdom and knowledge.

Words are fine, they'll do the job for now.

Any problems can be talked through in the thread.

Are you personally wanting to learn jazz, or are you just 'passing through' this thread, and felt inclined to comment?
Seeing how the thread title was so ambiguous, i had to click on it especially since the originator's you.

I want to learn, but i'll admit that it's not a burning desire. I think it's cos i tried to approach jazz piano in the past (by myself) and didn't get far - just way too much stuff to handle and without a teacher, there's no direction. Crash and burn

Anyway, i'm not saying that words alone won't suffice.. just that a clip will be better. I mean i've heard first hand many keyboardists telling me what they can/cannot do and when it came down to actually playing it, different story. Not that i think they were over-estimating themselves, but just that its tough to have a objective evaluation of one's own skills. And.. some things just can't be put down that easily in words - how good one is with left/right hand co-ordination blabla list goes on, you get my point.

Noinimod - I don't know whether to be offended by your post or not. Maybe i'm reading it wrong. Hopefully.

Are you implying that I can 'talk a good game', but can't play, or are you saying that about others here?

This thread will (initially) begin with basic jazz chords, so actual technical command isn't really an issue.

Hey guys, chill. :cool: Both of you have valid perspectives.

I think there's no need to pre-judge a situation. Sure, all of us has had experiences where one chappie tells us how great he plays and the truth was a bit less than the hype. But that's no reason to doubt everyone. Personally, I believe I can learn from everybody, be they "good" or "bad". Everyone has a story to tell, and everyone's experience is different. We have the choice of taking what works for us, and discarding the rest. I dont think pianomankris is saying any more than that - just take what you can/like/didnt know/hey-this-is-good and apply that to your playing. :)

I dont know pianomankris personally, but I think his willingness to share and teach is reason enough for me to want to listen and learn, and I respect him for taking the time and effort to post his brain-drippings. If its not something you need or want, then ignore his posts. But from what I've seen so far, and from my limited experience and knowledge, I think he's got stuff we can all learn from. :p

So lets all live and let learn yeah? After all that's what this forum is for ain't it??

Noinimod means no harm, from my take on his post. Most people are visual learners, hence a clip is obviously a great way to teach/learn (as suggested by Noinimod). However, that's not easily done most of the time. We need a videocam, somebody to video our hands, lots of time, hosting site etc. In short, a little troublesome.

So at this stage, pianomankris contribution in the form of text is the best possible way, and him being a pro player but taking his time to put all his thoughts down in very basic terms for beginners to learn is commendable. Thanks pianomankris for doing all these!

Perhaps, we can form some kind of master class one day. If there's a way we can connect via live webcam (everybody with a keyboard in front of him/her) and share techniques...

Noinimod - I don't know whether to be offended by your post or not. Maybe i'm reading it wrong. Hopefully.

Are you implying that I can 'talk a good game', but can't play, or are you saying that about others here?

This thread will (initially) begin with basic jazz chords, so actual technical command isn't really an issue.
.. dude you're reading it wrong. I'm obviously talking about the others who want to learn something, who will get a better evaluation of their skills if they post up something for people to actually hear. And I think you're doing a great thing by sharing all this stuff. I've read some of your other posts and they're extremely in-depth

I still strongly believe that the people who want to learn something should post up some of their playing.

for once in this forum, i can sense that this threadstarter is sincere about sharing his knowledge rather than going on an ego trip !

there's tons i wanna learn, but ill just pick up what u have to tell the rest of the guys yea, cos there's probably alot telling what they wanna find out already lol.

Back